Menu

After SM 6 books..if anyone can help...

There are lots of options after Singapore Primary 6A/B.

What we did:

Older DS did Singapore all the way through 6A/B and finished it at the end of grade 6. For grade 7, we did the first half of NEM1 (Singapore's middle school/high school levels of math, having levels 1, 2, 3, and I believe they are coming out with, or have already come out with, 4). Then I had him do a skim review of Saxon Algebra 1/2. In grade 8, we moved over to Jacobs Algebra.

We didn't stick with Singapore's NEM for 2 reasons:

1. It is a BIG jump up from Singapore Primary 6A/B in problem solving, and DS was probably not quite ready for it in 7th grade.

2. Not enough teacher support for ME. I think I read somewhere that there is now more teacher support for the NEM series.

Looking back, if we had tried NEM again in grade 8 AND if there had been a bit more teacher support, it could have been a very good, workable solution. However, the route we did take worked just fine. For our high school math sequence we ended up going with:

gr. 8 = Algebra 1 = Harold Jacobs

gr. 9 = Geometry = Harold Jacobs

gr. 10 = Consumer Math = Abeka

gr. 11 = Algebra 2/Trig = Foerster (rigorous! currently finishing this up)

gr. 12 = -----

BEST of luck finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
clarification

We finished Singapore 6B in 7th grade, and spent a week on negative numbers using NEM1, although I don't really think it was necessary.

My son went directly into algebra in 8th grade. We're using Math Relief, which I consider to be advanced but to have a gifted teacher who makes it look easy. He also introduces topics in a way that pre-algebra isn't really necessary. My son has done fine, and usually gets A's (when he's not too lazy to check his work :tongue_smilie: ).

I don't think I would have done Algebra in 7th grade, though. It's a leap in abstract thinking that I don't think many 7th graders are really ready for. I like Lori's idea of doing half of NEM1 if the student is still in 7th. Other things you could work on while waiting for the child to mature are refreshing drill skills (my ds mostly worked on combining fractions) and keeping up on word problem skills (maybe using CWP-6?).

Julie

Singapore has a curriculum that is supposed to be rigorous, but not quite as tough as NEM called Discovering Mathematics. you can read about it, and check out the samples on the Singapore Math website. It is intended to be started after Singapore Primary Math 6B, and the first book, 1A does contain some pre-algebra topics. Also DM has TMs for all four levels. The TM for 1A was okay. There are some teaching hints, but they are geared towards math teachers, not home school moms. But there are all the solutions to all the problems in the main book and the textbook, which is helpful.

I really like DM, but my son really likes LoF. We tried to do both, but it just didn't work out well for us.

HTH

Singapore has a curriculum that is supposed to be rigorous, but not quite as tough as NEM called Discovering Mathematics. you can read about it, and check out the samples on the Singapore Math website. It is intended to be started after Singapore Primary Math 6B, and the first book, 1A does contain some pre-algebra topics. Also DM has TMs for all four levels. The TM for 1A was okay. There are some teaching hints, but they are geared towards math teachers, not home school moms. But there are all the solutions to all the problems in the main book and the textbook, which is helpful.

HTH

Thanks, I didn't know about this. I'll ;ook into it.

Danielle

What we did -

Oldest dd finished SM 6B in 6th grade, and went straight into Lials Introductory Algebra (Alg 1) in 7th. It was quite a jump in the number of problems per day, but she was able to understand and keep up. We used DVT cds whenever there was a concept she didn't understand. I should add, it helped a GREAT deal that she participated in Mathcounts for 3 yrs; that really helped her in speed, accuracy and understanding abstract concepts. (2nd dd will do the same sequence - but she'll take it online with Jann in TX)

HTHs

They have a PreAlgebra, followed by Algebra Structure & Method: Book 1, Geometry, Algebra Structure & Method: Book 2.

I've used this series following Singapore, and we love it. The books have 3 different levels (A, B, C) of problems in each problem set, so you can adjust the difficulty level to your particular student. It's taught topically, but the program builds on itself and review of previous concepts is built into new lessons. It's the most Singapore-like program we've tried and really encourages looking at problems from different angles.

HTH,

Brenda

My middle dd did SM from 2B through 6B. She was only just 11 and needed some time to develop the lingusitic aspect of math and to review fractions. She did Mathematics from http://www.perpendicularpress.com. It wasn't merely a review and was more challenging in certain areas. It also covered anything she might have needed for pre-Algebra. Apparenlty at the moment it's only available as a download because the author is going to publish a second edition. We have the first edition, and ds may do it later.

Another option is Life of Fred pre-Alg or Beginning Algebra, depending on how ready your dc is for Algebra. Dd is now doing LoF Beginning Algebra.

We've never done NEM, so I can't comment on that.

Dolciani Structure & Method is a great text, at least the ones I've seen from 1965-1975. My eldest has done the Algebra 1 of this series, and I plan to have my middle one do it for her second time through Algebra 1 (she's only 12, so she's going to do it again at 13).

Edited by Karin