Menu

After SM 6 books

Ohdanigirl

What have people done. I love the Singapore Math books and feel my dc have been challenged and done well overall. My only concern s that there doesn't seem to be much info about how students who have continued with SM have done on tests such as the SAT and ACT.

If I choose to continue on is there a program that will mesh well with SM to be sure my children are able to do the same work when presented differently? Or is there something I could supplement with, aside from LOF (we use those for fun over the summer). One of my ds looks like he may be heading towards and advanced AP track in math, is this possible with SM.

Or should I just switch all together? Anyone out there have experience in this area? Please guide me though this decision.

Danielle

:lurk5: We're currently finishing Singapore 6B too. I was looking at LOF Beginning Algebra and extra practice and whole filling with some "Key to" series books as our next move for summer and perhaps into next year, but I'd love to hear from people who've BTDT. Singapore has been a great curriculum for us, but I feel like we should try something else for a bit. Even if we end up coming back to NEM next year or something. I have a math background, so I think part of me really would like to follow a more conventional track.

I was going to say you should xpost this on the hs board, but I see you already have. :)

I'm not BTDT yet, but I've got a plan. :D You'll have to wait another couple of years to see how it goes...

I have twins finishing up SM 6b right now. They *must* be separated in math, or we may not get out alive.

So, for one of them I'm going to stick with Singapore one more year and use Discovering Mathematics 1a/b, and then go into Foerster's Algebra (possibly also using the Math without Borders CD-ROMs).

For the other, she'll go into Lial's BCM (I also got the DVTs), and then if that works well for her, continue with Lial's Algebra.

We've been using LOF over the summers, I'd like them to do LOF Pre-Alg/Bio over this summer, although I may find a different supplement for one of them.

My ds finished 6B last August. We spent the fall doing LOF Fractions and Decimals & Percents. He is now working through Dolciani Pre-Algebra. This summer he will take the Art of Problem Solving Algebra course online and then begin NEM in September.

My plan is to just continue on with NEM but also use AoPS courses, LOF, and texts such as Dolciani to fill in the cracks. We school year round so this is pretty easy for us to do without it getting overwhelming.

My older ds finished SM6B (several years ago now!) and then went to TT Alg. 1. We tried to pick up NEM but it was just too big a leap for him. (And I decided I wanted a more traditional route.) He did TT alg 1 &2, Chalkdust geometry, TT pre-calc before he took the SAT and scored very well. He then jumped to Calculus at the cc, where he was one of very few who made a "A" in the course.

I think SM laid a great math foundation for him.

Both my ds's did SM 3d ed up to 6 along with Abeka or Rod & Staff math. Both followed up with R&S math 8. Ds1 took the long way around as we tried a couple of programs that didn't work. He ended up doing Jacobs Algebra and is currently in geometry at a private school. They use BJU. Ds2 will probably need another go at pre-algebra before moving on (mostly maturity issues but he's only in 6th grade now).

I know this doesn't answer your question about long-term results w/SM but I just thought I'd let you know how it's worked for us.

Cinder

Two of my dc have gone through SM 6B. We have done NEM 1 ch1-5 as pre-algebra. Then we switch to Foerstrer's for alg 1 through calc taking a break for geometry using Jacob's. I simply cannot teach NEM beyond that point. Dh probably could if he wanted to, but we are both more comfortable with the US traditional track. This is a decision that is totally dependent upon your comfort level. NEM is not independent study. Oldest dc did very well in competitive university calc completing this track.

I think NEM could be a good track towards AP tests, but you should get the AP syllabus to correlate topics. Good Luck!

Mary

I can relate to your dilemma. I spent way too much time trying to figure out what to do next after Sing. I will link to a thread I posted sometime ago - the replies were very helpful.

We went through Dolciani's Pre-Algebra in a few months and decided to continue with Foerster's Algebra. Dolciani Pre-Alg was mostly review but it helped ds get used to the language in Math and it bought me some time while I decided on a program :-)

Here's the link to the old thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1298080#poststop

HTH

What have people done. I love the Singapore Math books and feel my dc have been challenged and done well overall. My only concern s that there doesn't seem to be much info about how students who have continued with SM have done on tests such as the SAT and ACT.

If I choose to continue on is there a program that will mesh well with SM to be sure my children are able to do the same work when presented differently? Or is there something I could supplement with, aside from LOF (we use those for fun over the summer). One of my ds looks like he may be heading towards and advanced AP track in math, is this possible with SM.

Or should I just switch all together? Anyone out there have experience in this area? Please guide me though this decision.

Danielle

If I choose to continue on is there a program that will mesh well with SM to be sure my children are able to do the same work when presented differently? Or is there something I could supplement with, aside from LOF (we use those for fun over the summer).

An idea for a supplement or a trip through: (Russian) Mathematics 6.

We are using a this book which I purchased from Perpendicular Press last year. My daughter went into it after Singapore 5B SE. She is 10 and we plan to go into NEM 1 and Dolciani Modern Algebra in the next school year. I think the Math 6 book is a helpful step in that direction. ;)

The problems in Math 6 go into more depth (require more steps to get to the answer) and are written in a way to help the student understand the bigger idea of the section. There is a formal use of mathematics and interesting mathematical history throughout the book.

It's one of my favorite books we've used for math to date.

Good luck. :)

My dd, who will be in 7th in the fall, will finish SM6 along with LOF Pre-algebra. It depends on how things go with LOF if we'll continue it for algebra. I'm also considering Dolciani and Foerster's (leaning towards Foerster's). IMHO, SM has laid a great foundation for mathematical thinking, mental math, and problem solving. I have chosen to go a more traditional route for upper level math only because I prefer to work toward mastery in a single area at a time (algebra, geometry, etc). To me, the timing matches the upper level sciences better and the developmental ability to understand abstract concepts.

Jennifer