Menu

Signing Time

Which do you think is better? The dvds all on thier own while re-enforcing the signs when the tv is off? Or the Classroom Edition?

Next year we will be going to a weekly group discussion where you are only allowed to use sign language to communicate, and wonder which product will give her a head start. Most of the people who go will be adults, but I am hoping there will be plenty of children as well.

I had ST long before the "Classroom edition" became available (I bought the DVDs when only 6 were out), and found that the DVDs worked well for reinforcing signs and that my DD enjoyed them, but what worked best was simply for me to sign pretty much everything. Be aware that no matter what edition you have, ST will not teach ASL sequence-even in the songs where Rachel is signing the whole thing, she's using more a Signed English sequence than an ASL one.

One thing I did do was buy the ASL Clip and Create CD-Rom and print out ASL reference pictures to put in some of DD's picture books, around the house, and so on for DH, since he was learning at the same time she was. The graphics weren't great, but it was enough to remind him that "Oh, I know a sign for this!"