Menu

Has anyone here completed or is using CW Intermediate Poetry?

If you have, I would love to hear more about it. I can only see so much with the samples. I cannot see a table of contents or a list of poems used and discussed. I do like from the sample how the student has to write a author context page (is this the right word for this?)...it reminded me of the ones SWB requires in the WTM at the high school level.

Thanks!

We just ran out of time. :sad:

There are 6 units:

Reading and understanding Poetry (8 lessons)

Meter and Feet (11 lessons)

Figures of Speech (13 lessons)

Stanza Forms (12 lessons)

Lyrical Analysis & Imitation (13 lessons)

Narrative Analysis & Imitation. (11 lessons)

There is some review of the concepts introduced in the first volume. There are quite a few different models used; many are excerpts from longer works. There are selections from Robert Louis Stevenson, Shakespeare, Beowulf, and one from Tolkien's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight among others.

I did use Poetry for Beginners with my son and a co-op class several years ago. What I appreciate most about the CW poetry volumes is that they teach the basics in small enough bites that students don't become discouraged, but are also well equipped to read, understand and appreciate longer, more difficult works. Also, I credit CW with helping foster my son's excellent reading comprehension skills.

Intermediate Poetry covers more material (adds meters not covered in the first volume) in somewhat greater depth (the analysis appears to be somewhat more challenging) than the first volume. The general pattern for each unit is introduction of new material, discussion of relevant background, analysis, and finally imitation. You will see that same general pattern in all the CW volumes.

Edited by Martha in NM
clarity

You're welcome! Now that my son's in college I don't stop by as often as I used to. In fact, as I clicked TWTM bookmark this afternoon the thought crossed my mind that before long most of my information will probably be out of date. I think the CW message board is still fairly active; you might get more responses, especially to specific questions there:

http://www.classicalwriting.com/messageboard/index.php