Menu

Best exercises for legs???

Hello,

I am wanting to start exercising and getting my body back into shape. I know that once I start I will have no problem slimming down my upper half, but the lower half is another story!

My booty, hips, and legs have always been my big problem areas. I want to really trim them up. However, I already have very big calves and I just hate that.

I want to be able to trim all these areas without bulking up my calves even more. I am very self conscious about them and haven't worn a dress or skirt in years because of it. I am ready for that to change.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!!! :)

*Squats--using just your body weight or holding a dumbbell in each hand OR holding one hanging straight down between your legs like a bell (you can use a kettle bell for this or just one dumbbell). You can end with a dumbbell chest press, etc. to work your arms, too.

*Lunges--"walking" or static lunges with or without a dumbbell in each hand. Step-back lunges and side lunges.

*Step-ups (onto a medium high aerobic step or sturdy stool/box, etc., with or without dumbbells)

*Leg presses (machine)

*Dead lifts--using a barbell with 30-50 pounds, bend down, grab barbell and, keeping your arms straight and back flat, shoulders back, straighten your legs using them to lift the barbell. NO bicep curl, you only hold the barbell as you straighten your legs and the bar ends right in front of your, well, crotch. LOL These are GOOD for quads and glutes and building leg strength.

*Squats--using just your body weight or holding a dumbbell in each hand OR holding one hanging straight down between your legs like a bell (you can use a kettle bell for this or just one dumbbell). You can end with a dumbbell chest press, etc. to work your arms, too.

*Lunges--"walking" or static lunges with or without a dumbbell in each hand. Step-back lunges and side lunges.

*Step-ups (onto a medium high aerobic step or sturdy stool/box, etc., with or without dumbbells)

*Leg presses (machine)

*Dead lifts--using a barbell with 30-50 pounds, bend down, grab barbell and, keeping your arms straight and back flat, shoulders back, straighten your legs using them to lift the barbell. NO bicep curl, you only hold the barbell as you straighten your legs and the bar ends right in front of your, well, crotch. LOL These are GOOD for quads and glutes and building leg strength.

:iagree:

I'm skeptical of the idea that exercising certain areas leads to weight loss in those areas. In fact, I always find that when I weight train, those areas just get bigger and more muscular -- which never looks good under a layer of fat. The key, for me anyway, is to do lots of cardio and reduce my calories and go for overall weight loss rather than 'spot' weight loss.

I'm skeptical of the idea that exercising certain areas leads to weight loss in those areas. In fact, I always find that when I weight train, those areas just get bigger and more muscular -- which never looks good under a layer of fat. The key, for me anyway, is to do lots of cardio and reduce my calories and go for overall weight loss rather than 'spot' weight loss.

I don't think anyone was trying to imply you can spot-train weight loss. However, working certain areas with low weights and high repetitions will make them look more lean and toned. You're right about losing *weight*, overall.

Oh, I agree! These are strength training options and cardio added in will help reduce fat...where it reduces *from* is individual and also affected by genetics. LOL

I do not necessarily agree that using low weights is very effective and will prevent muscles from bulking up. If you are doing cardio along with strength training, IMO, most women do not get big bulging muscles--but I might agree that strength training alone may or may not produce a leaner look. Take a look at the after pictures of the ladies on The Biggest Loser, though. They are using *heavy* weights and do not look bulked up but very lean afterwards!

That is true, but resistance training along with cardio works much better than just cardio. My legs began looking bigger too, but now they are slimming. I think the increased muscle mass is helping me burn more calories during the day, and now that the fat is slowly diminishing, there's something there that looks like muscle instead of just flab.

So, I'm a big fan of both. That's why I like circuit training. I do cardio only one day and then mostly weight training with some cardio the next day, then the next day it's cardio.

Jillian Michales' "No More Trouble Zones" is the best out there. I cannot do the lunges anymore because of knee problems, but even my husband has noticed my rear has lifted, and he was impressed with my calf muscles the other day. They are not beefy looking, but more like runner calves. My abs are getting serious definition too.

Oh, I also use the highest weight I can for these, with four being my lowest.