Menu

Finishing Jacobs Geometry? (tough year)

My 9th grader got bogged down in Jacobs Geometry (2nd) in the first half of the year, and is just now finishing Chapter 11 (out of 17). I think we need to finish the book (since this is math), but am struggling with what that should look like.

I've considered:

1)calling it done after 75% of the book is complete (satisfies our diploma program, but not me!)

2)finishing the book, but with less problems/proofs required

3)finishing the book with all the exercises, but that will push back the start of Algebra II (and we both are really looking forward to getting back to Algebra! :thumbup:)

This kid doesn't seem to be headed toward engineering, etc., so I'm not sure how much I should push. However, I really don't want to shortchange him either.

Anybody BTDT? Advice?

Thanks!

Michelle

I don't have any advice, but I'll be back to see what advice others offer. We had to jump ship from Jacobs for Teaching Textbooks Geometry and lately that is taking a.lot.of.time. You have my sympathy. We'll finish but I can't wait until geometry is done. Three proofs a day and they still take her forever, which is time away from other meaningful stuff. :grouphug:

The formula work from those last chapters is an important part of Geometry.

This is the part of the program that your student will find on the ACT and SAT tests.

I taught Geometry in PS and I had to make sure those last chapters were covered... sometimes I would cut back on problems and condense--but the concepts were covered!

Contrary to what you may hear on the boards, it is NOT 'normal' or accepted to only finish 1/2 to 3/4 of a text and call it done. Most publishers offer a few optional chapter(s) at the end so it is up the the teacher and his/her department head to determine if those last chapter(s) are necessary in order to satisfy the state/national standards for the course.

I have a Jacobs 3rd edition that I use with my online classes. I will be able to omit the last chapter and condense a few of the end ones as well, in order to complete the program in a way that will benefit my students.

If you need to condense at this point, begin by omitting proofs (you will have worked enough by now and these are NOT tested) and make sure you cover the formula work.

If you need to condense at this point, begin by omitting proofs (you will have worked enough by now and these are NOT tested) and make sure you cover the formula work.

It's me, not the OP...again!

After doing 3/4 of the book, if my creative, divergent thinker is still banging her head against the wall doing three proofs a day and not really getting any better, and falling behind in her other subjects because of them, would it be REALLY BAD if I cut down on the proofs? Would I be a BAD MOM?

:blushing:

This is the same dd who got a gold medal on the NLE but can't manage A's her Latin quizzes.