Menu

Workboxes for kids who do very little independent work?

melissel

If you use or once used workboxes, did you find them at all valuable if your kids did very little independent work? The curricula I'm using for DD7 all have fairly heavy parental involvement (RightStart, WWE, AAS, SOTW), so it's not like she's going to finish a subject, go and get the next box and get herself started, etc. What's the benefit in this case? Is it simply that the system kind of forces you to be set up and organized in advance? Are there other benefits that I'm not seeing?

TIA!

If you use or once used workboxes, did you find them at all valuable if your kids did very little independent work? The curricula I'm using for DD7 all have fairly heavy parental involvement (RightStart, WWE, AAS, SOTW), so it's not like she's going to finish a subject, go and get the next box and get herself started, etc. What's the benefit in this case? Is it simply that the system kind of forces you to be set up and organized in advance? Are there other benefits that I'm not seeing?

TIA!

DH & I think of them more as their "locker" because it where they keep their school things organized. It's really cut down on the "I don't know where my book is," complaints. We could use a bookshelf, but some of the books are floppy and it's harder to get them to stand up. We use a plastic filing 7-drawer for our work boxes.

Theoretically each box should have a pencil too, but that isn't working as much here.

:bigear:

I'm starting K in August and have been debating whether to try workboxes from the beginning (knowing most of their work is teacher intensive) or wait. I figured I could put their HWT books in there with the page #s I want them to do that day, put their SOTW activitiy pages to be done, maybe their readers for the day, their elemental science pages to be completed after our lesson, etc. I also want to put fun stuff in their to surprise them (like a note that mommy with play a game of their choice, mazes, coloring pages, a new book for fun).

I think they (I'm teaching twins who like having their own "stuff") will get a kick out of them.

Looking for others opinions though :-).

We use workboxes (modified) and dd does very little independent work. I just skipped using the 'work with mom' cards for the boxes because she works with me for everything. My dd loves workboxes because it gives her a feeling of independence. She helps me organize her schedule strip and picks a few extra activity cards to put on. She puts the numbers on her workboxes (I pick a few that I like to do at a certain time and she can choose the order of her remaining subjects). When we begin or finish each subject she gets the box or puts it back on the shelf.

Now I do modify the boxes. Instead of boxes on a rack we keep core subjects in individual magazine holders on a bookshelf. This way there's no refilling boxes each night - they just stay on the shelf in their holders. We also have a six-drawer plastic tower for rotating subjects. The two large drawers are for history and science projects so I only fill those once a week. The remaining four drawers are for rotating subjects. If I have to fill workboxes at nights it's only one or two. I don't think I'd like them as well if I had to refill them every night.

My daughter doesn't do no independent work. The workboxes are wonderful for us and have helped her alot. My daughter has some special needs and I am unsure if she will ever be able to work independent. I try at times to walk away for a few minutes to hopefully train her to be independent.:confused:

Workboxes allow her to know what she has to do everyday. I have a 7 drawer system and it has more that one item in each drawer. She likes choosing which one she wants to do first in the drawer. It keeps me more organized and everything is ready to go. The drawers do not take long to get ready for the next day.

We also use AAS and she hands me the book and waits to see if it's board time or table time with AAS. I guess my point is that workboxes do work for curriculum that require more parental involvment. One day your daughter will have more things she needs to do independent and she will know how the workbox system works in your household.

My 4 yr old also has his own drawer. It has his puzzles, workbooks and other strange items that he loads in them for the day. He is training himself with them. Hope that helps

I use the workboxes for all my kids (ages 5-11) and they work well for us regardless of independent or not. With my littlest, it helps him to have the work divided into small chunks, to have the subjects varied, and to give him ownership. We are doing a modified MFW K, and yesterday when I had to sub teach at the local school, my DH did school with ds. My little one liked being able to lead DH through the boxes, and it made it very easy for my hubby. I think it also will help him to learn independence.

That was why I dumped the workboxes. They (The Little League, a 1st and 2nd grader) already have cubbies with labeled notebooks and most of their work for saving, but other than math workbooks, everything else comes from a living book that I read aloud. Many times we re-read books or take several days to cover them. Moving them from day to day in the box seemed like an unnecessary chore (for me), when simply having them in the pre-existing library boxes (per TOG level) is simple and easy. I.e., "their stuff" is really more like "my stuff" and I don't need the workboxes, I have my desk and bookshelf. I love the theory, but for us, it just seemed like one more thing to organize what I already had organized. My dc that are older have cubbies and planners, so it was not necessary for them.

I use modified workboxes, and it is 100% for ME and MY scattered brain! I do expect that as my ds7 gets older he'll be able to do some things independently, but until then....3 dc is a lot to juggle, and workboxes help ME organize it all.

I wanted to do some sort of workbox system next year. I think it sounds great. But when I actually started to plan it, I ran into the same problem. I have decided to just try a checklist system. It will help with the "what next" and now that I made it - I should be good for the year.

I will be using these next year:

http://www.mardel.com/double-mobile-organizing-tower.aspx

For the younger years it will be more for my organization and for them to know what comes next. My girls thrive with structure so having this kind of a system will help immensely.

Also take my advice with a grain of salt as next year will be our first year doing more than pre-k.

I started out the year using them with dd 7, but found it made me LAZY because I just used the workboxes to store materials in and didn't do any daily planning. I now have moved the accessory shelf and shoeboxes to dd's closet for organizing her stuff, and replaced it in the school room with two sets of 4 high drawers (they are very shallow and about 12 inches wide) from Walmart that hold each subject's books nicely and I'm making myself plan on paper more. I was continually frustrated with Sue Patrick's shoebox suggestion because all my books were getting warped in those little boxes. I realized I really just needed a good way to keep the subject materials organized. Workboxes as a system seems like a good concept in theory, but for my 1st grader and me, it made no sense to me to make her go through the routine of getting a box from the shelf, moving the tag, etc.

I started off the year using workboxes for my kids, neither of whom are independent yet. The shelves have now become just a storage place for all of our books. They can't just grab the next box because they have to wait for me to help them. I love the idea of them and will try to implement them again at some point.

I was continually frustrated with Sue Patrick's shoebox suggestion because all my books were getting warped in those little boxes. I realized I really just needed a good way to keep the subject materials organized. Workboxes as a system seems like a good concept in theory, but for my 1st grader and me, it made no sense to me to make her go through the routine of getting a box from the shelf, moving the tag, etc.

I don't do all the tags, etc. I agree - that seems all too much - and I know I will drop anything that simply heaps on more work for me or complicates our day. I labeled these boxes 1-9, and we just go in order. I pack up the boxes to hold what we need for the week...and there are MANY days we don't get to it all. It's easy then for me to simply move a box up in the sequence so the week is balanced. Most things (esp the basics) are planned out so we can just open the box and go...I plan each box every 6 weeks when we take a break from school.

Oh and the good thing about the boxes I use is that books lay flat, and they fit a binder. AND, they have a lid that latches on so when they get knocked over they don't spill out. Also, they stack nicely using MUCH less space.

I need a visual "schedule" as well as an organized way to keep our materials. This is working pretty well for us. I can spend hours and hours planning on paper...I just never USE my plans unless they are simply memorized or the stuff is out and ready kwim.

Just my rambling...:tongue_smilie:

I will be using these next year:

http://www.mardel.com/double-mobile-organizing-tower.aspx

As someone who has been using this system for a year now, I completely agree with Amber. If you choose to do this system, go for the larger boxes. I do the shoebox size, and I hate it. It bends the books, and that drives me absolutely crazy. Eventually we'll go with a system that looks like the link above.

For us, it keeps everyone organized. We only have (9) boxes, and most days we only use boxes 1-5. For the most part, it works really well.

I have some tags that I created on my blog (if anyone is interested). :001_smile:

For us the benefits are organization and structure. Although my ds is not independent he is already developing the habit of using the workboxes. I have already started having him do a couple of boxes on his own while I work with his sister.

Another benefit for my ds is that he has a very visual reminder of how much he has done and has left to do each day. It has eliminated the whiny " Are we done yet?"

Here is a peek at our workboxes.

HTH

We started workboxes a few months ago. My dd (age 6) and I love them. Most of her boxes have a mom card on them. A few, scattered throughout, don't...which are mainly her "fun" boxes. I definitely think workboxes are worth it.

Hockey Mom, you said:

"I do the shoebox size, and I hate it. It bends the books, and that drives me absolutely crazy."

We also have the shoe rack and shoe boxes. I don't put the books/workbooks in the boxes because of this very reason (I'm very picky about our books and don't like them to get bent, dog eared, etc). What I find works pretty well is to put the book or workbook under that box on the shelf (basically the workbook sits flat, directly on the shelf, with the workbox sitting right on top of it. Some workbooks might tend to overlap a tiny bit because they are a bit wider than the box). The workbox still holds all the other necessary items for that lesson (pencil and any crayons, glue, scissors, manipulatives, etc). Hope this idea will work for you.

~AprilMay~

Edited by ~AprilMay~
Ooops....I keep forgetting to add my name!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I use the workboxes with my older 2. I use it to help me organize and also for the kids to learn to be more independent. You can stagger the work they do with you, with independent, fun learning games or sheets.

For example: Box 2 for ds4th is Math, which I do with

Box 2 for dsK is handwriting

Box 3 for ds4th is Thinking Skills (independent)

Box 3 for dsK is Math, with me

If we rotate them, each boy is doing something constructive instead of free play.

We started workboxes a few months ago. My dd (age 6) and I love them. Most of her boxes have a mom card on them. A few, scattered throughout, don't...which are mainly her "fun" boxes. I definitely think workboxes are worth it.

Hockey Mom, you said:

"I do the shoebox size, and I hate it. It bends the books, and that drives me absolutely crazy."

We also have the shoe rack and shoe boxes. I don't put the books/workbooks in the boxes because of this very reason (I'm very picky about our books and don't like them to get bent, dog eared, etc). What I find works pretty well is to put the book or workbook under that box on the shelf (basically the workbook sits flat, directly on the shelf, with the workbox sitting right on top of it. Some workbooks might tend to overlap a tiny bit because they are a bit wider than the box). The workbox still holds all the other necessary items for that lesson (pencil and any crayons, glue, scissors, manipulatives, etc). Hope this idea will work for you.

~AprilMay~

:iagree:

We're doing RightStart, AAS, FLL, SOTW . . . pretty much the only thing he has (other than fun "extras") that is independent is copywork, and we're having to review some letter formation issues, so even that's not really independent at the moment.

Workboxes help me make sure I'm organized and ready to go with everything for each lesson. Both boys (little guy only has 6, mostly fun learning activities) like seeing the boxes dwindle as we work through them. It also helps me pace our day better. I can move subjects/activities around from day to day easily without getting lost (what am I doing next?!?!). I can plan things out so that I have time to work with one while the other is working on an independent box. And since we've got the system in place, we're all set for when he *is* doing more independent work.

I agree with the posters who say that the workboxes are as much for US as for THEM. I need the workboxes for my own sense of organization, but the kids are thriving with them. Our day goes SO much better thanks to workboxes.

True, it is work to fill them, but the reward is a smooth school day the next day. I'm getting better with the system, though so it is taking less time.

But to answer the OP question....yes, it works even for children with little independent work. I CREATE independent work, though. I put a shoe in my K'er's box today to give him practice tying his shoes! LOL I also put art supplies and all kinds of things to keep him productively busy while I work with the older ones.

What I need to work on is a "waiting station". I'm still tweaking the system to figure out what to do when they all have a "work with mom" sticker. It doesn't seem to bother them but still, I like things to go as smoothly as possible. Sometimes I have them move on to another box and then we double back. That works, too, but kinda ruins the lovely flow from box to box. We use the schedule strip, too....I still think workboxes are altogether lovely...a wonderful, wonderful concept.

~AprilMay~

That is exactly what we do. Just place the bigger books under the box on the shelf. My kids love the system, and it really does help me to be more organized. They don't keep asking if we are finished yet.

Thank you so much for all your input, everyone. The funny thing is that I have a whole setup already :lol: Wendy B., it looks like we have similar setups--I've got the stackable drawers too. I could not STAND the idea of my lovely books getting warped in the boxes, and I knew having the open boxes and shelf out was asking for trouble with my DD4! And I have the schedule sheet (not strips), and all the drawers are numbered with their little velcro bits and laminated numbers, etc. However, I set it all up when I was still working and was aiming to give DD7 more independent work to do, but never managed to. Now that I'm home and we have some new materials, I wasn't quite sure of the value. You all helped confirm for me that at this stage, it's still helpful as an organizational tool.

Amber, I saw those when I was setting up my boxes initially. I LOVE those drawers!!! I couldn't find them cheaply at the time, and DH would have totally killed me if I'd spent that much money. His eyes were already rolling around in his head because I was so gung ho on the idea in the first place. I still think about those drawers though, and figure that if I ever have a need for that kind of organizing set up again, I'm so buying those :lol: