Menu

Why do all of these reviews I read of Jacob's Geometry say it's 'right brain'

What does that even mean?

I've looked at a copy from the library. The only thing I see is that it is in small print (I really need glasses, I think).

Can someone tell me what types of learners this would be good for, and not good for?

Dd#2 coming up is good at math and science, good at problem-solving and logic, that sort of thing.

I don't know if I should rethink my tentative choice of Jacob's for next year or not. I just know I have to get this all hammered out soon!

If we didn't use that, I don't know what we'll use. I'd rather just stay with Lial's all the way through, but for some reason I ruled that out. Is the reason people don't use Lial's for geometry because it's more of a refresher course? Is it complete? Is there something wrong with it?

If not that, I could do BJU. Except it will be waaay over my head with not enough explanation, and we're not getting Homesat. So no to that.

Chalkdust, and all of those are out because of price. TT is out, too. I don't think she'd do well with a video, anyway - I need something I can teach her, that's understandable and clear (for me), challenging (for her) and doesn't cost a fortune.

She likes things to be very clear and to the point.

Can anyone help me? confused-smiley-017.gif

usually like big-picture, visual, conceptual teaching rather than sequential, piece-by-piece a little at a time lessons.

I am thinking that is why Jacobs is labeled right-brained, but I could be wrong. With math books, I always try to get my hands on the book and work through a few days of lessons with the prospective kiddo to see how it flies. Usually the results are dramatic, and I know if the book is a good fit.

Could you do that with your daughter?

I have used Jacobs' Geometry with my oldest ds, who is whole-brained (ha!) and plan to use it next year with my right-brainer. I did not expect him to pick the Jacobs book out of the stack I handed him to peruse, because he is not really much of a reader, but that is the one that appealed to him!

Maybe a good thread would be "What are my options for Geometry?" :)

This probably didn't help much!:o

We had a great year w/ Jacob's geometry. I would describe myself as left-brained, dd considers herself right-brained. Both of us like the book.

It may be that Jacob's appeals to right-brained kids more than most math books--which is why I picked it. DD appreciated the cartoons, stories and jokes. Not all math books are as engaging. However, I felt it was a very thorough, logical presentation--that worked well with my left-brained approach to math.

I woke up this morning actually wondering "What are my options for geometry?" LOL!

My dd has done well with the Lial's series thus far, so I'm tempted to go with that text. However, I have heard such good things about Jacobs, that I wonder if it would be the better route. (My library has neither book for me to preview.) I want a geometry book that has the students working proofs. Is one of these better than the other? Or is there another option I should consider?

If I choose Jacobs, what else will I need besides the text? Which edition should I use? Is the one with ISBN 978071674613 a good edition with a solutions manual?

So many questions. Thanks to anyone who will help walk me through the selection of a geometry book. And thanks to gardenschooler for beginning this thread. : ) Hopefully we will both get some answers.

Cathy

I used Jacob's geometry textbook to teach my ds. However I'm not geometry inclined, and I heard that there was a video one could use now. Has anyone used it? Did it help?

I'm still pondering whether or not to use this or Teaching Textbooks or MUS for my dyslexic dd.

Thanks!

usually like big-picture, visual, conceptual teaching rather than sequential, piece-by-piece a little at a time lessons.

I am thinking that is why Jacobs is labeled right-brained, but I could be wrong. With math books, I always try to get my hands on the book and work through a few days of lessons with the prospective kiddo to see how it flies. Usually the results are dramatic, and I know if the book is a good fit.

Could you do that with your daughter?

I have used Jacobs' Geometry with my oldest ds, who is whole-brained (ha!) and plan to use it next year with my right-brainer. I did not expect him to pick the Jacobs book out of the stack I handed him to peruse, because he is not really much of a reader, but that is the one that appealed to him!

Maybe a good thread would be "What are my options for Geometry?" :)

This probably didn't help much!:o

No, that helped a lot. I don't know why I didn't think of this! I can get it from the library, so we'll just take it for a test drive.

I think she's a 'whole-brainer', too.

Thanks!

We had a great year w/ Jacob's geometry. I would describe myself as left-brained, dd considers herself right-brained. Both of us like the book.

It may be that Jacob's appeals to right-brained kids more than most math books--which is why I picked it. DD appreciated the cartoons, stories and jokes. Not all math books are as engaging. However, I felt it was a very thorough, logical presentation--that worked well with my left-brained approach to math.

Thanks, that helps. Glad to know it works with all kinds.