Menu

Analytical Grammer high school books - any good? or Lit guides (LL or Smar) enough

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan my dds 9th grade year :tongue_smilie:.

She has used R&S English 3rd-8th. Don't know if she needs R&S English 9... another year of grammar review?! So, I'm trying to figure out what dd should use for English in 9th (some grammar, vocab, writing, lit). I'm planning to enroll her in a hs writing class that is taught locally by a veteran homschooler (so writing is taken care of), planning to continue with wordly wise or vocab for the college student. Wondering for literature if I used a literature guide (like Smarr or Lightning Lit) to go alongside history, will those have enough English review/concepts? Or should I buy lit guide and a seperate high school review book from Anaylical Grammar??

So, I guess my question is a few wrapped in one! - Anyone have experience with the AG high schoo books? Are they any good? Dd wants to do AP English in 11th & 12th (Eng Lang & Comp, Eng Lit & Comp). So, I want to continue to prepare her for those classes. Or would a literature guide be have enough grammar review and be enough.... oh if I knew what to do!!! (Of course Potters school is another option... but $$ and I'm wondering if we can do all this at home - especially since she'll have the writing class)

Thanks so much for reading and responding - I appreciate any insight.

... hs is all new to us! (Dd is our oldest!)

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

AG high school books are strictly for review. We use them but we also used AG. When a student misses something there is a reference back to the AG lesson so they can review what they missed. I love the set up. The sentences are informative and interesting. Today her lesson was all about Earnest Hemingway which my daughter thought was a hoot because she just finished 'Old Man and the Sea'. But it is not a grammar program. It won't teach you new grammar. I would think anyone could use them for review though. You just won't be able to reference the lesson in the AG manual. But the answers are given and you can figure it out easily.

Heather

AG High School Books....

I have used these strictly for review in high school. My dd finished R&S 8 and moved into the AG HS books the following year. She is on the third book and will finish the series next year. The exercises don't take much time (she spreads one author over two weeks), but they review what she has learned in the past.

Yvonne in NE

Thanks ladies!

I had a few questions -

1) Does dc complete 1 AG hs book a year? or more?

2) Are the AG hs books strictly grammar? I haven't seen a sample online.

3) Can you tell me what else your dc used alongside? (for English, like vocabl or writing?)

Thanks SO much!

Sangita

We have done one book per year. There are 18 assignments per book. My dd has done one every 2 weeks. That doesn't mean it takes that much time -- only about 30 minutes. She is doing the Shakespeare's Plays book this year.

There are three sections to each assignment: parse and diagram, grammar analysis, and an editing section (punctuation, capitalization, and usage). Click on this link to see samples of the High School book -- http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/media/upload/image/hsreinforcementmarktwain.pdf

In addition to AG, my dd has done a vocabulary program I found at Laying the Foundation website -- it was recommended on the boards, but I don't think you can access it anymore and TOG Yr 2 for literature and writing.

Yvonne in NE