Menu

Latin Alive questions!

siloam

On the yahoo group one gal mentioned that there are not answers for all the work. Can someone let me know roughly how much work that is, and if it is covered elsewhere with answers?

Also do you think it would work well for a child who had already one Lively Latin 1, and who needs something they can do independently? I have concerns about early posts on the arrangement and errors in the TM, and a lack of response from the staff. If I can't get the information from one of those two places (and just looking at the samples the TM isn't arranged in a way that connects with me, not like other programs) then I will be stuck asking here and then trying to translate something I probably don't understand to my dd. Not a pretty thought.

Thanks!

Heather

I did answer you question on yahoo group earlier this week, although I didn't see it until a few days after you posted. I'm currently using LA for my own self-ed and using it for ds next year. He'll be finishing up LFC B this spring.

Latin Alive is a year of "accelerated review". I haven't seen LL but if your dd has a good handle on LL IMO she could work on her own with the DVDs. I was hesitant about jumping my ds up to LA until I started watching the DVDs. Karen teaches through the majority of the chapter, walks through some of the exercises, and provides very thorough explanations.

I've worked through 1/2 of the book on my own, feeling a little shaky in a few chapters. I'm through chapter 6 on the DVDs and it has added greatly to my confidence and understanding. One thing I like is that she walks the student through some the answers for the exercises in Latin. A short script is in the text, but it makes Latin seem less like a vocabulary exercise and more of a spoken language. It reminds me of a language class in high school.

I think there are a couple of samples on her blog or you tube.

As for the missing info in the teacher's book, Karen has provided all of that infromation on the yahoo group. She has been very proactive about making sure her product is serviced. I believe the LA book has been updated once and to ensure you get the latest edition I would suggest ordering from CAP directly.

Another thing I like about LA is that one of the exercises she has the student break the vocabulary down into syllables. Since my ds has some reading issues I plan to let him skip that exercise and give him the answers as a help.

HTH, Let me know if you have any more questions.

I did answer you question on yahoo group earlier this week, although I didn't see it until a few days after you posted. I'm currently using LA for my own self-ed and using it for ds next year. He'll be finishing up LFC B this spring.

Latin Alive is a year of "accelerated review". I haven't seen LL but if your dd has a good handle on LL IMO she could work on her own with the DVDs. I was hesitant about jumping my ds up to LA until I started watching the DVDs. Karen teaches through the majority of the chapter, walks through some of the exercises, and provides very thorough explanations.

I've worked through 1/2 of the book on my own, feeling a little shaky in a few chapters. I'm through chapter 6 on the DVDs and it has added greatly to my confidence and understanding. One thing I like is that she walks the student through some the answers for the exercises in Latin. A short script is in the text, but it makes Latin seem less like a vocabulary exercise and more of a spoken language. It reminds me of a language class in high school.

I think there are a couple of samples on her blog or you tube.

As for the missing info in the teacher's book, Karen has provided all of that infromation on the yahoo group. She has been very proactive about making sure her product is serviced. I believe the LA book has been updated once and to ensure you get the latest edition I would suggest ordering from CAP directly.

Another thing I like about LA is that one of the exercises she has the student break the vocabulary down into syllables. Since my ds has some reading issues I plan to let him skip that exercise and give him the answers as a help.

HTH, Let me know if you have any more questions.

I love syllable work!! One of the things I really adore about LA is that pronunciation list. I so sooo likely to fall back onto English pronunciations without something like that. Problem being that if First Form Latin even has it it won't be accurate to the Classical pronunciation we prefer.

The reason why I asked again here, was because one of the things that frustrates me most is the errors in LL and when it doesn't have the answers. Because I did 75% of the program ahead of her it wasn't a big deal, but the last 4 chapters just about drove me nuts. I just don't want to go there again.

In addition I really want to learn Latin, but I don't have the time right now. The next few years will be the toughest, so I am having a hard time letting go and telling myself later, even through I know I really don't have a choice. :001_huh:

Heather