Menu

TOG rhetoric book list year 1 questions

A few books on my list: Are there any you would leave out or any you would not want to miss?

These Were the Greeks

The Analects

Ancient Celts

Ancient Egyptian Literature

Aztec and Mayan Myths

Bhadgavad-Gita: The Song of God

Plato: Republic

The Punic Wars

These Were the Romans

The Universe Next Door

What the Bible is all About

Words of Delight

World Religions

These Were the Greeks - necessary

The Analects -possibly skip

Ancient Celts -definitely skip

Ancient Egyptian Literature -definitely skip

Aztec and Mayan Myths -definitely skip

Bhadgavad-Gita: The Song of God -possibly skip

Plato: Republic -necessary

The Punic Wars -you can skip it, but look up Punic Wars online

These Were the Romans -necessary

The Universe Next Door -needed for Worldview

What the Bible is all About -Another resource can serve the same purpose, you may already have a good one on your shelf.

Words of Delight -needed for Rhetoric Lit discussions

World Religions -good resource

Of course these are just my opinions.

HTH,

Leanna

These Were the Greeks - we used it

The Analects - we used it

Ancient Celts - did not want to, too much pagan material for timeframe

Ancient Egyptian Literature - read it, necessary for lit component

Aztec and Mayan Myths - bought it, think it's an in depth, see ancient celts comment

Bhadgavad-Gita: The Song of God - I think it was important, we used it

Plato: Republic - isn't this on the gov't cd?

The Punic Wars - didn't like the looks of it, skipped it

These Were the Romans - definitely used it

The Universe Next Door - did not use - too heady, philosophical for us

What the Bible is all About - definitely used it, could sub any bible handbook though

Words of Delight - very important to the lit component and used in year 2 as well

World Religions - you could just do internet research but a good book

I actually have a few of these for sale if you want to pm me, but no pressure to do so.

These Were the Greeks - we used it

The Analects - we used it

Ancient Celts - did not want to, too much pagan material for timeframe

Ancient Egyptian Literature - read it, necessary for lit component

Aztec and Mayan Myths - bought it, think it's an in depth, see ancient celts comment

Bhadgavad-Gita: The Song of God - I think it was important, we used it

Plato: Republic - isn't this on the gov't cd?

The Punic Wars - didn't like the looks of it, skipped it

These Were the Romans - definitely used it

The Universe Next Door - did not use - too heady, philosophical for us

What the Bible is all About - definitely used it, could sub any bible handbook though

Words of Delight - very important to the lit component and used in year 2 as well

World Religions - you could just do internet research but a good book

I actually have a few of these for sale if you want to pm me, but no pressure to do so.

Thanks for the offer. I'm actually not totally committed to TOG yet. A friend is letting me borrow hers for the year if I want to. I really thought I wanted to use it until I started looking at the books we have to read. I'm not sure we are going to like TOG! I have no idea what else to look at right now, so I'm going to plug along with this and do lots of praying. Our state's convention will be held next week--I'm hoping to receive some divine guidance if you know what I mean! :confused:

You might look at the D level books. It is really hard to jump into TOG at the R level, you might want to ease into it by mixing D and R levels for your oldest.

Yes, as I was looking more closely at the book list for both levels yesterday, I was thinking the same thing. Is it common for people to do that in all four years, or just the first year?

Some do, some don't. There are older threads here that show some feel that TOG R is closer to college level work. Karenciavo and Janice in NJ and others that I cannot remember right now do R level with their highschoolers. Honestly, everyone does TOG differently, that is why we love it so. Everything in TOG is flexible, you make it work for your family. You get to find the balance for each child instead of the curriculum dictating what they should do.

We will start highschool with my oldest this fall, and we will see how she does with some of the R level work. I really think that it will take time to find a good balance for her this year.

There were several threads on this subject recently (about R level being college work) if you do a search for TOG.

Oh great! I will search for those threads. Thank you.

I was having a moment of panic yesterday, but after looking through the list more thoroughly, I'm thinking I should surely find something that works out of all that is listed!

Another question: If I decide to go with a listed alternate book, will that mess me up as far as the discussion and questions go? I mean are the teacher's notes and student questions all based on the history core book and the first lit. choice suggested?

We have had few problems using alt resources for D and lower levels. Anytime we were missing something we just looked it up online or skipped it. You might need more of the R level books, since you are digging deeper into the subject.

Sometimes we don't use a Primary Resource because it is costly and used infrequently and not at the library. If the Alternate Resource doesn't cover the question asked my son uses internet research. Sometimes the question is book specific and in that case we skip the question.

It's been four years since I've done Year 1 but I will highly recommend getting Words of Delight if you are doing rhetoric lit, The Universe Next Door, World Religions, Plato: Republic, These Were the Greeks, These Were the Romans, and The Punic Wars (great glossary of names and timeline, pictures.) My son didn't read The Analects because he used Omnibus for literature (I'm guessing that's a lit selection?) Books like The Ancient Celts we switched out for whatever the library had.

Sometimes we don't use a Primary Resource because it is costly and used infrequently and not at the library. If the Alternate Resource doesn't cover the question asked my son uses internet research. Sometimes the question is book specific and in that case we skip the question.

It's been four years since I've done Year 1 but I will highly recommend getting Words of Delight if you are doing rhetoric lit, The Universe Next Door, World Religions, Plato: Republic, These Were the Greeks, These Were the Romans, and The Punic Wars (great glossary of names and timeline, pictures.) My son didn't read The Analects because he used Omnibus for literature (I'm guessing that's a lit selection?) Books like The Ancient Celts we switched out for whatever the library had.

Thanks for your input, Karen. :001_smile:

Jennifer in Texas, thanks for the link.