Menu

iPad and Homeschooling

How is using the iPad so far? How is it beneficial for homeschool use? Can you see and do virtual classes on it? I have a 14 year old boy going into 9th grade who already has an iPod as well as I! Will upgrading to the iPad benefit him or me? Can you hook it up to your tv to act as a computer screen or watch Netflix? Can you create and edit MS Word documents on it? Can you connect a bluetooth headset and use Skype?

I am a novice when it comes to today's technology so I would appreciate everyone's input, advice, and opinions!!!

My husband brought one home from work for me to play around with, and after messing around with it for a little bit, I wouldn't buy one, and I certainly wouldn't give up my netbook!!

There were two big issues for me that would impact using an iPad in a homeschooling context. First, it doesn't support Flash, which means that many websites, including most virtual schools, would not be accessible. We couldn't log into K12's high school LMS, for example.

Secondly, there's no multi-tasking. You can't have a document open, switch to a website and then back to the document. I was surprised at how quickly documents and applications closed and opened, but still, I like having multiple windows open at once.

There were a few other minor annoyances, but those were the big ones for me.

I have a $280 netbook that I tote everywhere, and I find it FAR more versatile than the iPad. It runs Windows 7, surfs the web and does everything I need it to do. My main machine is still my desktop computer, but the netbook is wonderful for when we're all over the house (or the town) doing school stuff.

Right now, I can't see trading in my netbook for the iPad, which just felt like an oversized version of my phone. It would need to do a whole lot more for me to be willing to switch! Other people might feel differently, but I'd hold off on buying an iPad until a later iteration. :)

Frankly, I can't wait to get an iPad.

No, it doesn't do flash, but I don't use flash for any homeschool applications. However, I have a great deal of curricula in pdf format. I can put these on the iPad and take it anywhere. It's a nice, big screen for reading ebooks. Right now, I'm either tied to my desktop machine or my printer to work with pdf curricula or ebooks.

You can watch Netflix streaming on it, or videos from iTunes, or YouTube.

YOu can create and edit Pages documents on it, but not Word documents.

You can surf the web, of course.

I love to have multiple windows open on my desktop machine, but that's not what I want/need in a portable.

As to whether you could do virtual classes on one, it would depend on the classes and the type of software they utilize. For many classes, the answer would be no.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it will work very nicely for my needs. It's more easily portable than a laptop, but I don't need it to have all the functionality of a laptop.

My husband brought one home from work for me to play around with, and after messing around with it for a little bit, I wouldn't buy one, and I certainly wouldn't give up my netbook!!

There were two big issues for me that would impact using an iPad in a homeschooling context. First, it doesn't support Flash, which means that many websites, including most virtual schools, would not be accessible. We couldn't log into K12's high school LMS, for example.

We will be using Connections Academy next year. How do you find out which websites are Flash? I know that Adobe said they have an application to make Adobe Connect work which is great for live lessons but not sure about just logging into the site and being able to view links.

Secondly, there's no multi-tasking. You can't have a document open, switch to a website and then back to the document. I was surprised at how quickly documents and applications closed and opened, but still, I like having multiple windows open at once.

I know that you can listen to music or a podcast and do other things such as reading, email, internet. I think that is all we would need if we were out and about. I can't imagine my son wanting to multitask in such a manner, lol!!!

There were a few other minor annoyances, but those were the big ones for me.

I have a $280 netbook that I tote everywhere, and I find it FAR more versatile than the iPad. It runs Windows 7, surfs the web and does everything I need it to do. My main machine is still my desktop computer, but the netbook is wonderful for when we're all over the house (or the town) doing school stuff.

Can you hook your netbook up to a big screen tv to stream Netflix instant movies? What kind and where did you purchase a $280 netbook from?

Right now, I can't see trading in my netbook for the iPad, which just felt like an oversized version of my phone. It would need to do a whole lot more for me to be willing to switch! Other people might feel differently, but I'd hold off on buying an iPad until a later iteration. :)

I was thinking of purchasing at Christmas; just not sure which way to go yet. I really love taking my iPod touch to bed to read but wish the screen was bigger for my aging eyes, lol!!!

I'm waiting for the second generation, which I believe they will put a camera in so that skype will be possible. That will be my dream machine. We could do practically everything we needed on that.

a

I'll run out and purchase the very next day when they announce those two things! I wonder how long I'll have to wait.

Sailmom, what kind of netbook do you have? I'm eyeing the Ipad or a netbook............

Anne

I have an Asus 1001P.

My original budget was $500, and I didn't want a laptop because I wanted something smaller and lighter. I ended up considering what I really wanted the netbook for: web surfing, document editing, accessing my network drives in other machines around the house, checking my oldest daughter's grades, requesting library books, watch videos, checking email, etc. It has a built in webcam, and decent audio. After reading tons of reviews, and looking at lots of netbooks, I decided on the 1001P. It's a solid, speedy little machine, very lightweight with a long battery life (about 11 hours). It cost me about $280 and I LOVE it. It fits in my purse and I take it everywhere. Plus, it's PINK! :lol:

Frankly, it can do everything an iPad can do, and more. :) As I said, if you're inclined to buy an iPad, I'd wait a bit and buy one of the later generations.

I was thinking of purchasing at Christmas; just not sure which way to go yet. I really love taking my iPod touch to bed to read but wish the screen was bigger for my aging eyes, lol!!!

Hmm... In that case, the iPad might be a good fit! As I mentioned before, it seemed like an oversized version of my phone, with the exception that my phone lets me listen to music while I surf the web. :)

I don't use my netbook to hook up to the TV to stream Netflix, since I have an Xbox 360 that does that. I do use it to watch Youtube videos though. My machine has an external display jack, and I could use a vga to composite adapter to hook it up to the the TV, but I don't bother.

When I refer multi-tasking, these are the things we probably all do everyday with our computers. I'm talking about things like taking notes while viewing a website, or listening to music while typing a document or surfing the web. I almost always have multiple applications open. My high schooler (who has a laptop, not a netbook) also does things like surf the web while listening to music, type a paper while referring to a website, or take notes while listening to a Class Connect session. Those things weren't possible on the iPad that my husband brought home. Instead, one application would close when we went to open another one. There's no foregrounding and backgrounding. I know it's not a big deal to some people, but it was a definite deal breaker for me.

I suspect that eventually, the iPad will beat out netbooks in the multimedia arena. Right now though, I just don't think they're there yet, especially considering the cost. Admittedly, I'm not an Apple person, and all the other machines in our home run variants of Windows or Linux, so maybe if I preferred Apple products, I'd be more inclined to like the iPad.

Keep in mind that neither the iPad nor the netbooks are replacements for fully functional desktops and laptops. They work best as auxiliaries, not as primary machines. There's no way my highschooler could use either a netbook or an iPad has her primary computer.

I guess I need to take the summer and fall to analyze how we use all of our gadgets and see what is missing. We currently have a wireless network for 4 desktops, 2 iPod Touch, X-Box, and Wii for 3 adults and 1 teenager.

I know for sure I want to utilize Netflix instant movies to cut down on our Directv bill and Skype to cut down on our cell phone bill!

I know for sure I want to utilize Netflix instant movies to cut down on our Directv bill and Skype to cut down on our cell phone bill!

You can stream Netflix with your Wii now! If you log into your Netflix account on the website, you can request the CD that will enable the Wii to stream Netflix. I haven't done it, since we use the Xbox, but Netflix has offered me the Wii CD every time I've logged into the website over the past few days. :)

You can stream Netflix with your Wii now! If you log into your Netflix account on the website, you can request the CD that will enable the Wii to stream Netflix. I haven't done it, since we use the Xbox, but Netflix has offered me the Wii CD every time I've logged into the website over the past few days. :)

Thanks, I will go request it now!!!

I just asked my son, who has an iPad and uses it all the time. He seldom uses his laptop anymore.

He said you could: (1) Use Skype with a wired headset; (2) watch Netflix; (3) download books, including Amazon's Kindle books; (4) watch videos from other providers; (5) use the iPad as a web browser; (6) hook it to a TV; (7) edit basically all Word, Excel, and Power Point documents.

He does all his college schoolwork on his iPad now.

If you have any additional questions, he will be happy to answer them for you.

I just asked my son, who has an iPad and uses it all the time. He seldom uses his laptop anymore.

He said you could: (1) Use Skype with a wired headset; (2) watch Netflix; (3) download books, including Amazon's Kindle books; (4) watch videos from other providers; (5) use the iPad as a web browser; (6) hook it to a TV; (7) edit basically all Word, Excel, and Power Point documents.

He does all his college schoolwork on his iPad now.

If you have any additional questions, he will be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you so much for the information Rebecca!!! Could you please ask him why a wired headset instead of a bluetooth please? Also am I right in thinking you can listen to music/podcast and do something else like surf the internet but not other things such as have a document open and surf the internet? Thanks! By the way how old is your son? Mine is 14!

Jennifer, here's his answer. He just turned 19 and is a freshman at Patrick Henry College. His real love is Apple computers. Hope this helps!

"It doesn't support a Bluetooth headset because it's not a phone: the ability to use a headset is something of an afterthought and not a primary feature of the iPad. Yes, you're correct that you can listen to music while doing something else. Because of the smaller screen, it's not optimal to have a document and a web browser open simultaneously (each fills up the entire screen), but switching between the two is very fast to begin with."

Jennifer, here's his answer. He just turned 19 and is a freshman at Patrick Henry College. His real love is Apple computers. Hope this helps!

"It doesn't support a Bluetooth headset because it's not a phone: the ability to use a headset is something of an afterthought and not a primary feature of the iPad. Yes, you're correct that you can listen to music while doing something else. Because of the smaller screen, it's not optimal to have a document and a web browser open simultaneously (each fills up the entire screen), but switching between the two is very fast to begin with."

Thank you so much. Great information that I wish I had received a week earlier. I just bought a bluetooth that I thought would work with iPod Touch. Just charged it up...going to go pair it now. I hope this works since I just spent $50!!!!

A friend showed me his iPad and it looked really nice, especially for reading.

I think it has a lot of possibilities if more textbooks and school related books would be electronic. I liked how he could highlight sections of literature and he said he could write notes.

I didn't ask if he could print out highlighted selections of text from books or print out notes from literature. I would want the ability to write thoughts and notes as I am reading, like one would write in the margins of a book. I would also want the ability to print those so I could use the quotes in a paper, etc.

I'd like to have my dc use e-book versions on something like an iPad, and my dc in college have mentioned this as well, but not enough books are in that format yet.

I did like the iPad, though. I don't have money to buy one, but I would be tempted if I did.

I'm sorry to keep bugging you and your son but I have one more question, lol!!! Can you please ask him about a cheap headset with a mic I can use on an iPod Touch/iPad for utilzing Skype, Voice Memos, and Dragon Speech? My $50 Plantronics Voyager 520 bluetooth did not work on my Touch although it works great on my cell. Thanks!

Here's his best recommendation:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTM3NjU0Nzg

(Just wanted to add: I looked at the reviews for this product, and some people are mentioning that they break easily -- at least the plastic on them does. My son says they are covered under the iPad one-year warranty as an accessory. He is not at all shy about returning things to the Apple Store, and every time he does the salespeople repair or replace his products graciously. He says this product is the best one available unless you're willing to spend a lot of money.)

Edited by Rebecca VA
added more information

Here's his best recommendation:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTM3NjU0Nzg

(Just wanted to add: I looked at the reviews for this product, and some people are mentioning that they break easily -- at least the plastic on them does. My son says they are covered under the iPad one-year warranty as an accessory. He is not at all shy about returning things to the Apple Store, and every time he does the salespeople repair or replace his products graciously. He says this product is the best one available unless you're willing to spend a lot of money.)

Thank you very much!

• 4 months later...
Guest KKennedy

Hi all,

I know I am coming in late on this but I wanted to share with you how we feel about our ipad. We adore it! We are a homeschooling family (dd is 10) and we find so many uses for the ipad in our schooling day. There are soo many free or low cost apps that make learning fun and entertaining. Things like: Tic Tac Math, Star Walk, Nat Geo Maps, This Day History, tangrams, States and Capitals chanllenge, Netflix, Mad Math and soooo much more!

I highly recommend an ipad to any homeschooling family as a hugely useful tool.

:lol: - Kim

Occasionally I let ds touch it too! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, I have downloaded some awesome apps for school. I rarely use my iMac for anything anymore (except syncing my iPhone and iPad!!). I read on it (LOVE it for my books - I turn the lighting down so the glare isn't harsh and I love it more than I did the Kindle because I don't need a light to read by), listen to my music, play games, pay bills, keep notes, organize my life, type docs, read pdf's, read WTM forums, etc.

Seriously, it's the best thing I've ever treated myself to.

• 2 weeks later...
Occasionally I let ds touch it too! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, I have downloaded some awesome apps for school. I rarely use my iMac for anything anymore (except syncing my iPhone and iPad!!). I read on it (LOVE it for my books - I turn the lighting down so the glare isn't harsh and I love it more than I did the Kindle because I don't need a light to read by), listen to my music, play games, pay bills, keep notes, organize my life, type docs, read pdf's, read WTM forums, etc.

Seriously, it's the best thing I've ever treated myself to.

I just got one. Wow! Do I LOVE this thing!!!

How do you pay bills, type docs, read pdfs and organize your life. I know there is so much potential, but I'm just getting started! :) Thanks!

I looked at my friend's iPad recently and it seemed to me a small laptop computer. (I have a Kindle so I was comparing it to that.) My son has a laptop and uses that for his college work so why would he need another one that actually had less capabilities? For instance, the iPad cannot utilize DVDs or CDs. For instance, my dd uses math CDs and we need to be able to insert them in the computer. So the iPad wouldn't work for that. Of course, neither would a netbook (at least I don't think it does) so I guess we'll stick with a laptop (and desktop) for now. My ds does have a iTouch, which, he feels is a more useful device for him than the iPad, the main two differences being the size and the cost. The best of both worlds, in his humble opinion. :D

Edited by LatinTea

There is an app that syncs with your home computer. He uses it so he can be on Club Penguin when we are out (yes... I know that is not "educational" but it passes his time while his sisters do gymnastics).

At first we were a little dissappointed that we couldn't run flash, like for Club Penguin, but this App solves that problem.

I can get into all my word documents and pictures stored at home.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my IPad!!

There is an app that syncs with your home computer. He uses it so he can be on Club Penguin when we are out (yes... I know that is not "educational" but it passes his time while his sisters do gymnastics).

At first we were a little dissappointed that we couldn't run flash, like for Club Penguin, but this App solves that problem.

I can get into all my word documents and pictures stored at home.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my IPad!!

What app is it?

Hello Hive,

A few have mentioned that the iPad doesn't use Flash or can't run programs that need Flash. I spoke w/ a friend today whose DH just bought her an iPad. She said that her DH just read online last night that the company which made Flash is now going to open it up to Apple for use on the ipad. I'm not knowledgeable at all about this so look it up for yourself.

In answer to how I pay bills, etc., I use my bank app. Just login and a few clicks and bills are done.

I use notes to make lists, my budget, and keep myself on track, the calendar for the usual stuff (things to do, etc.), and I take screenshots of recipes and stuff that get posted or linked to from here and store them in my photos until I can try them and decide if I want to write them in my recipe collection.

I can't imagine life pre-iPhone and iPad! I've gotten quite spoiled!

• 4 months later...
Guest homeschooltablet

Hello everyone. I just thought I would post some apps and good websites that review educational apps. Also I have started blogging about using the iPad and other electronic tablet devices for homeschooling. With younger kids the iPad is great because they can do "hands on" activities. They are also excited about learning because of the technology.

You can follow me at my website www.homeschooltablet.com I would love any feedback you can give. Here are the apps I like to use with my kids. Most of them have a free "light" version.

Alphabet tracing

BrainPOP

Bob Books

Khan Mobile

Teach Me Kindergarten

StoryKit

Pocket Phonics

i Write Words (iWW lite)

Fractions

HistoryMaps

Here are the links I have found useful for evaluating apps:

I Education Apps Review – I Education Apps Review

Digital Storytime – iPad Childrens Book Reviews – iPhone Childrens Book Reviews.

momswithapps.com —.

funeducationalapps

tcgeeks.com ipad-for-school