Menu

All American History (Bright Ideas Press) reviews please?

Sue G in PA

We use this! My dd who is in 6th grade started with Vol 1 this year and LOVES it. She has learned so much from it! It is VERY detailed. She likes the workbook activities. I like the further study options it gives you. It gives you reproducable forms to do further study on the colonies, explorers, indian tribes, the wars, and more! I love how the book is laid out, I love the conversational tone. My daughter says "its better than a lame textbook" Its engaging, its not at all dry! Its also very interesting that they learn how the culture was. What they wore, ate, how daily life was conducted! I highly recommend this curriculum!!!!!! And so does my daughter!!!!! :hurray:

Thanks Chris. This is my plan so far. I am planning to have him do MOST of the activities from HOD's Preparing with my boys as well. That will give him a good overview of World History as well. My only dilemna is should he do AAH1 and 2 in one year? Would that be too much?

If he is doing activities from HOD then all he would do from AAH is the reading? If he was only doing the reading and read a couple of lessons a week I would think a strong reader could get through both volumes in a year. I've never looked at HOD. Does it cover all of world history? If so then I might try to get through both volumes of AAH.

Chris, how old is your child? HOD's Preparing is geared toward the 9-11yo child with extensions for 5th and 6th graders and could be done with a 7th grader as well by adding age-appropriate extra reading, etc. I just love the curriculum and want to include ds with us as much as possible...more to bond as a family and not for academics although that is sufficient in Preparing as well. My plans are still tentative right now. I'm still praying about it.

Sue,

My ds is going to be 12 at the end of this month. He will be a 7th grader next year. Can you explain a little more about HOD? Sounds like something I might want to check out. I have been struggling with how homeschooling has become more of a check off the box thing and less of a time of bonding as a family.