Menu

TOG for literature only OR other suggestions

I haven't used TOG for about 3 yrs, but I don't remember it having much emphasis on literary elements or analysis (my memory could be wrong though).

What kind of literature are you interested in exploring?

The best, most inexpensive resource to me is The Well Educated Mind. It tells you what to focus on for different genres, and specific questions/area to address for different stages of learning.

I like Windows to the World, by IEW as a first lit course as it lays a good foundation.

Glencoe Lit guides are some of my favorites too and they are free! I especially like how they include information about the author and his times as it brings so much more depth to the reading when you consider the context.

This quote:

I haven't used TOG for about 3 yrs, but I don't remember it having much emphasis on literary elements or analysis (my memory could be wrong though).

Is definitely no longer valid regarding TOG lit.

There is a TON of analysis and in my opinion waaay too much concentration on literary elements. At year 2 pretty much each book was gone over with a fine tooth comb. We were to complete a literary outline that included stuff I'd never even heard of before. And this was for almost every book.

There's a ton and I think the OP would be more than supplied with a thorough course in literature by using TOG.

Check out the year 2 sample, the year 1 sample is for the beg. of the year. It ramps up as you go through the weeks.

My older dd and I used TOG this year for literature only, since she was taking another government course. We've liked the books used, for the most part...but we did swerve a bit at the French works. :tongue_smilie: She is a highly motivated, independent learner, and has completed both volumes 2 and 3 this year. I was, honestly, fatigued at times with the amount of discussion included each week...pages and pages of it. It seemed geared toward a co-op group format. That was partly due to dd's accelerated reading pace, but still, there was a lot of in-depth discussion to do. Unless I can find something as complete, we'll use the digital volume 4 for her senior literature course. She is also reading the WTM and SL literature lists independently, but I like having the TOG laid out for me to have some one-on-one discussion guidance. I will say that we have occasionally run across some theological opinion scattered about that we weren't in complete agreement with, so it made me think, too, instead of just reading aloud all the notes.

Thank you for the thoughts and information. I have TWTM and The Well-Educated Mind, but might want something more in-depth. I had forgotten about the Glencoe Literature Guides, and they may be a good choice for next year. I'm also considering Progeny Press guides, but still wondered how they compare with TOG.

I was pretty sure TOG had completely overhauled its rhetoric level literature and wondered if it is worth the price tag just to use that component.

I have a love/hate relationship with TOG, so while I'm still drawn to it, I know I need to proceed with caution and lots of information. :001_huh:

I would love to hear more opinions about using TOG for literature at the rhetoric level. :bigear:

Thanks!

"She is also reading the WTM and SL literature lists independently"

Wowee. Give that girl an Oreo or something for me. :001_smile::lol:

:D She is special. Thank goodness for the library and used Amazon books! After her ACT exam, she said that the English portion of it was *fascinating* and that she really enjoyed the questions. :001_huh::001_smile: We made her a big batch of ooey gooey celebratory brownies!