Menu

Credit Counseling--any positive experiences?

Feel free to pm instead.

I need to find someone who will negotiate with Discover. I was on a hardship plan, paying only 9.9% for two year. Got it down a lot, but now it's up to 24.24%. I actually only paid the minimum payment last month, and it didn't even cover the interest.

I called and asked for more help--I mean, I really, really asked, told them I might settle or switch to another card, etc. I asked to speak to a supervisor and everything. No lowering at the moment.

I thought maybe a CC could help--even if I paid them monthly, it might be worth it and be less than the interest payment, iykwim.

Anyone have a reputable, low-cost or even free service they know of? Everyone says they will give a free consultation, but they all want $ to actually talk to the folks at Discover and lower the rate. (Which is expected, since it's a business, I know--just looking for help)

I have been told that CCC of Atlanta is reputable and helpful. I have not personally tried them, but they are who I would call.

Someone on this forum gave me their personal positive testimony about the help they got from CCC of Atlanta. My brain cells are fried, and I cannot remember who. Hopefully they will see this, and PM you.

Years ago, we used Consumer Credit Counseling services in Missouri. They completely intervened with Discover and the threatening calls stopped. Those Discover people are e-vile!

And, we were able to buy a home within 6 weeks of completing the payment plan with CCCS, so it was a definite positive all the way around.

Chris, have you tried Dave Ramsey's plan of paying off credit cards/debt? If you don't want to go that route, we had success with CCCS (Consumer Credit Counseling Service). They should have an office local to you in VA. A warning though...it does effect your credit rating negatively if that bothers you at all. If you want some DR strategies for paying it off, let me know and I can help you!