Menu

switching from saxon advanced

hi,

We're switching out of Saxon Advanced Math, having struggled through less than half of it. We're looking at either BJU or Chalk Dust, but I don't know which course she should proceed into (Trigonometry, Precalculus or Geometry) -- she completed Saxon Algebra I and II with very high marks, but has not done well with Advanced. I would say she needs to start over with an equivalent course.

hi,

We're switching out of Saxon Advanced Math, having struggled through less than half of it. We're looking at either BJU or Chalk Dust, but I don't know which course she should proceed into (Trigonometry, Precalculus or Geometry) -- she completed Saxon Algebra I and II with very high marks, but has not done well with Advanced. I would say she needs to start over with an equivalent course.

No suggestions for switching -- I'll leave that to others. But I just want to say that Advanced is a very tough book that moves at a pace unlike any book before it. With our sons, I found that when we were about 1/3 of the way through the book, we needed to slow down and spend 2 days on each lesson. For many students, Advanced requires 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete.

The first part of Advanced Math completes the Geometry credit--and starts to "introduce" a bit of Pre-Calc.

Pre-Calc includes College Algebra (Algebra 3) and Trig --1 semester of each.

Chalkdust Pre-Calc may be intimidating... even with Dr Mosley's lectures... it depends on how strong your student is in Math...there is a HUGE learning curve with the graphing calculator.

My daughter just could NOT deal with the TINY font and the cluttered layout of the Larson (Chalkdust) text... so I switched her to Lial's Pre-Calculus.. she is MUCH happier--and it is still a great text! There are video lessons available for Lial's if needed (cost around $35).

BJC Pre-Calc with the video lessons is expensive--but it is a solid/good program.

We were in exactly the same situation as you about 3 years ago. My son had used Saxon Algebra 1 & 2, and he while he did OK on the Advanced Math tests, it became apparent that he was not really understanding the math but just memorizing the algorithms presented. He needed more and more help from me, and he was really frustrated that he couldn't do more on his own.

We looked at a bunch of programs, and I settled on Chalkdust PreCalc with the DVDs by Dana Mosely. He loved, loved that program when compared with Saxon. The DVD instruction is very clear, and many examples are worked out. The DVDs teach the use of the graphing calculator, and my visual learner son finally understood functions when he could see and easily manipulate them on the calculator.

Son finished CD PreCalc and then did CD Calc the following year. He got an A in Calc in college his first semester, and he though CD prepared him very well.

Best wishes in your search for something better.

Brenda

The ISBNs for the supplements are listed on the back of my 3rd edition text.

My 3rd edition is a 2005 text... remember Lial as MULTIPLE series out by Pearson/Addision Wesley so this can get a bit confusing.

The ISBN for the Digital Video Tutor (video lessons for computer) is 0321237331 it is less than $20 new on Amazon.com

We were in exactly the same situation as you about 3 years ago. My son had used Saxon Algebra 1 & 2, and he while he did OK on the Advanced Math tests, it became apparent that he was not really understanding the math but just memorizing the algorithms presented. He needed more and more help from me, and he was really frustrated that he couldn't do more on his own.

We looked at a bunch of programs, and I settled on Chalkdust PreCalc with the DVDs by Dana Mosely. He loved, loved that program when compared with Saxon. The DVD instruction is very clear, and many examples are worked out. The DVDs teach the use of the graphing calculator, and my visual learner son finally understood functions when he could see and easily manipulate them on the calculator.

Son finished CD PreCalc and then did CD Calc the following year. He got an A in Calc in college his first semester, and he though CD prepared him very well.

Best wishes in your search for something better.

Brenda

I always wondered about this. I guess if one does not do the AP AB Calc exam one starts with Calc. I.

I always wondered about this. I guess if one does not do the AP AB Calc exam one starts with Calc. I.

Cynthia,

He took Calc I his first semester because he didn't take the Calc AP AB exam. If he had taken that exam and done well, he would have received credit for Calc I at his college.

Chalkdust prepared him well, and he could have taken the AP exam, but he chose not to. He had major senioritis at the end of last school year, and he just couldn't muster the energy to prepare for an AP exam. He is also not super confident with math, so I felt better having him take Calc I at college. It made his first semester a bit easier and helped his transition to living away at school as a result. He loved the DVDs from Chalkdust so much that he took them with him and has watched them a couple of times when he needed extra explanations. We don't regret the decision for him to take Calc I at college. He's taking Calc II this semester and doing well in that course also.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA