Menu

What are our options for online Latin classes?

I want dd to take online Latin classes beginning next year, for 8th grade, and to continue through 4 years of HS. We did Latin for Children A,B, and part of C, but it's been a couple years and I don't think she remembers all that much.

What are our options? I know about the Memoria Press courses, but what else is available? Secular is preferable, but not absolutely required.

I can't help her much, so it needs to be something that does not need much parental involvement.

Thanks.

I want dd to take online Latin classes beginning next year, for 8th grade, and to continue through 4 years of HS. We did Latin for Children A,B, and part of C, but it's been a couple years and I don't think she remembers all that much.

What are our options? I know about the Memoria Press courses, but what else is available? Secular is preferable, but not absolutely required.

I can't help her much, so it needs to be something that does not need much parental involvement.

Thanks.

My daughter is taking Latin I Henle with Regina Coeli Academy and RCA is Catholic so it's not secular but since you said you don't absolutely require secular I wanted to chime in. This class has been an excellent fit. It has not required my involvement as far as teaching at all. I do check in with her regularly to ask if she's caught up on making flash cards and if she's reviewed them daily and that sort of thing. The course is set up in a way that is manageable. She spends under an hour a day on this course. She has learned a lot. The current syllabus on the website states that Henle I covers the first three units. So, it doesn't move fast, but she has learned the material well and it has moved at a good pace for her that keeps her working on her studies about 45 minutes a day, more when prepping for exams. I believe the teacher feels it is important to spend a lot of time on the first unit and that time spent will pay off later. If your student does their daily work and keeps up with everything, they will (I think) do fine on exams. There are weekly quizzes. Two live classes per week and they have offered additional study sessions as needed. My daughter really enjoys this class and I know feels like she learned more with the course than she could have on her own or with me muddling along trying to help her.

I know RCA offers a Wheelock class, too, which I am sure would move faster. Since my daughter is in 7th grade this year, I felt that a slower approach initially would benefit her. It looks like after either Henle II or Wheelock II, the students merge into a course called Latin Literature. RCA also offers AP Latin.

My oldest dd takes Latin online with Lukeion.org. They offer Latin 1, 2, and 3/4. She has loved her two courses and learned so much. By the end of this year she will have worked through Wheelock's completely with little help from me, as I don't have a Latin background either. The instructors are Christian but there is no specifically Christian content in the course. If you have any questions, you can email the instructor, Amy Barr, and she will respond and help you make the right choice. We highly recommend Lukeion for classes and workshops!

My kids have taken Latin from Scholars Online and Regina Coeli. They are both rigorous programs that do a good job covering the material.

Next year my youngest will take Latin 2 from Latin and Classics.

Hi, Gwen, If you would be willing to share, can you tell us more about Latin and Classics and how you think it compares to Scholar's Online and RCA? Thanks!

I have to second the recommendation Regina Coeli Latin classes. The audio component has made the classes so much more interesting than any other online course we have taken. My boys really enjoy class time. Mrs. Robinson is an engaging teacher. I have a son in Henle I and another in Wheelock's II. Both are doing well. If the student does the homework, flashcards and memorization daily, then he will do well.

I don't know about Scholars Online Latin classes, but my oldest son is taking AP Physics B with them. We are disappointed. Since the class is all text based, it can get slow and tedious. My son is bored in class. The instructor has not posted many of the study helps that she has promised. Also, she has not graded anything (other than one part of the mid term exam) since last November. She has not responded to emails requesting feedback. I have no idea if my son is doing well enough to get a decent score on the AP exam or if he is failing.

We did the first half of Wheelock's with Lukeion this year. We are switching to Veritas Press next year.

Heather

Heather....you can't just leave us hanging like this...WHY are you switching? Is there something about Lukeion you don't like? Or, do you really like VP?

Thanks so much....I need some serious help here with Latin.

I want to put in a good word for Lukeion! It has been a great choice for my 7th grade Latin I student. Mrs. Barr explains things very clearly, provides a lot of accountability (a quiz and online homework every week, and the expectation that students will take the NLE), and keeps the class moving along on schedule. She has high expectations from students, but they have risen to meet her expectations well -- 91% of Lukeion students took honors in this year's NLE.

I plan to have my daughter take Latin II from Mrs. Barr, and hopefully Latin III and IV as well. I believe Latin III and IV are AP Prep.

Rebecca,

Thanks. Please tell me, what text does Lukeion use? (OK, I see they use Wheelock's)

My 7th graders have completed Latin Prep 1 and 2, along with Cambridge Units 1 and 2. I don't want something with lots of review, but I don't want to overwhelm them either. Should we choose Latin 1a?

Any advise?

Edited by Penny

I am hijacking this thread, because I am also trying to make a decision about where to enroll dd for Latin. She is currently enrolled in Latin I in SO, but I want to switch next year. I am trying to decide between Veritas Press or Lukeion.

She will be in ninth grade next year, and I want real accountability. I also want consistently graded work, and regular progress reports.

For those of you that have experience with either Veritas Press Online or Lukeion--which would fit the bill?

Thanks!

We use Artesian Wells tutorials for Latin. My 9th grade son is almost finished with his first year, and they'll be completing through chapter 24 of Wheelocks, which is the text I used in college. Very rigorous and demanding. If any of you know Wes Callihan (Schola Classical Tutorials), Aaron Wells is his son-in-law. He's a fabulous teacher, and my son's carrying a low "A", at least on his test scores. I do help him a fair amount when it comes to checking translations, strategizing for his study time, etc... He know way more vocab. than I do, but I really understand the structure/big picture much better than he does. That's what he really needs the most help with. I don't know if parents of the other students help them much. I get the impression some of these kids have had more Latin leading up to this course than my son. We did Latina Christiana 1 and half of 2 back in elementary, but I don't think any of it stuck with him. All in all, we're very happy with it, but it's a tough course, to be sure.

Lisa

Heather....you can't just leave us hanging like this...WHY are you switching? Is there something about Lukeion you don't like? Or, do you really like VP?

Thanks so much....I need some serious help here with Latin.

There were some things about the course we didn't care for. I can not at all fault the Latin instruction at all. My dd has done well and learned Latin well. We really dislike Quia - which is the program they use for taking tests, quizzes and entering homework. It got to the point where at the beginning of a test or quiz, I sit there next to my dd with my computer and type up the paragraph for translation and print it out so she can see it while she has to translate it. Otherwise because the test is done on Quia, the paragraph scrolls off the screen if you go down to the part where you type in your answer. Going back and forth like that isn't conducive to good translating. I have had a few issues where Mrs. Barr has taken her desire to make a student accountable beyond what I feel is reasonable. We had a computer glitch (I still don't know what happened) where her homework appeared submitted - I was there so I saw it - but didn't actually submit. We let her know when we realized. It was beyond the deadline. We never even asked for credit, just wanted her to know. But her email back made it clear she thought my daughter was lying. For a Christian organization to respond that way to a student 3/4 of the way through the class with A's and had never missed homework before - even when we went to Italy she did 3 weeks of work ahead of time - all A's. I thought she earned a bit more respect than that. I was ok with her not getting credit, but the lack of respect bothered me. It really left a bad taste in my daughter's mouth and she asked to continue Latin somewhere else. She was already planning on taking World Religions with VP and they also use Wheelocks so it just made sense.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

HomeschoolConnectionsonline.com is geared for Catholic Homeschoolers, but they have a pretty unique online Latin course. It's based on writing and doesn't use a standard textbook. The teacher uses free online sources and says the kids learn it very thoroughly through writing as well as speaking and reading.

For the summer, they're offering a Latin boot camp

and for Fall they have semester classes (with a follow-up in spring sememster)

Latin I, Part One (First Year Latin)

Latin II, Part One (Second Year Latin)

Latin III, Part One (Third Year Latin)

...Starting time:9:30 am, Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00)Duration:1 hourSession fee (USD$):160.00 Presenters:Alecia Rolling,Kenneth RollingDescription:Note: Part Two is scheduled in the spring for a full year of Latin.

This is a 12-week course. There is no class on Nov. 24 for Thanksgiving

Suggested Grade Level: 7th to 12th

Prerequisite: None

High school credit: One full semester credit. Add Latin I, Part Two in the spring for one full year credit.

Course Description: This course will cover a year’s worth of Latin in two parts, Fall and Spring. The course will focus on the student’s ability to compose Latin, allowing for a greater mastery of the language than what is often found with other approaches that focus on translation. Each class will consist of rigorous grammar drills, a quiz, some history, new grammar presentations, and practice. At the end of the year, the student should be able at the very least to compose a short, simple story using the present and future tenses. This will be tested with a final exam.

Course Outline: TBA

Homework: Composition, translation, and memorization of grammar charts and rules and of various Roman speeches and Church prayers.

Course materials: Every effort will be made to limit materials to those freely available online.Host's name:Walter Crawford or Maureen Wittmann Host's email:homeschoolconnections@gmail.com

But her email back made it clear she thought my daughter was lying. For a Christian organization to respond that way to a student 3/4 of the way through the class with A's and had never missed homework before - even when we went to Italy she did 3 weeks of work ahead of time - all A's. I thought she earned a bit more respect than that. I was ok with her not getting credit, but the lack of respect bothered me.

The assumption that students are dishonest and the concurrent lack of respect would preclude me from pursuing this program for my daughter. I have also encountered arrogant presumption on the part of the Latin instructor there.