Menu

Having trouble with Latina Christiana

branycbur

I was hoping anyone using this program could give me some pointers or advice. I am just not getting it, this is my first experience with Latin as well, and therefore I think my dd is suffering too.

We finished Prima Latina earlier this year and moved onto Latina Christiana I. It was going along smoothly until we got to the 2nd declension. My dd can memorize the vocabulary without any problems, but declining (is that even the word?) is where we run into trouble. The book doesn't really go into detail about what all the cases represent or why you use the 1st declension instead of the 2nd. So I feel like we are memorizing words and case endings without knowing the reasons why. That sort of feels like memorizing division tables before understanding addition. Maybe it is just me, I dunno. But if you use this program and like it, can you tell me why. How exactly are you using it? If you have switched to another, which one? Any advice would be most helpful here!

Thanks so much!

:iagree: Yes! The DVD's help. I don't think I would be able to do it without the DVDs. I make a cheat sheet for my son, a chart with first declensions (singular, plural). Then one whole page for the verbs (o, s, t, mus, tis, nt). PM me if you want me to send you our little chart.

Have you checked out the Memoria press link? Here: http://memoriapress.com/video/LCISlides/index.html

You can print the slides from the DVDs. I think it's Lesson 8 that you want. I do this as well as watch the DVDs.

HTH

Edited by daisychics
adding website

I have used Latina Christiana in the past and plan to use it again next year with my 3rd and 5th graders. My oldest two started with Prima Latina, LCI and were half way through LCII when they came out with First Form and then we promptly switched over to First Form. First Form is now Memoria Press's suggested "next step" after LCI. I'm not sure where that leaves LCII (oh well) I have had no prior Latin experience before LC and I do enjoy it. I did not splurge on the DVD's. I fiddled around with Latin for Children, Lively Latin, Minimus and came back to LC.

To memorize the 2nd declension we just repeated the endings a couple of times daily and then repeated the declension of servus (the example noun the text gives) It doesn't take long and it is incredibly necessary for the whole thing to become automatic. Repeat, repeat, repeat :-) I wish that LC had more written work in it. I went so far as to write out my own translation worksheets but that was before I started First Form and was able to see the bigger picture. First Form is what I had wished LC had been. Now I understand LC as being a gentle introduction. I don't think I will give my extra worksheets to my 3rd and 5th graders because I know they will get plenty of practice in First Form, which reviews everything in LC at a little bit deeper level.

As far as knowing when to use which case...you don't! Page 37 of my LCI teacher's guide gives a quick breakdown for the teacher's benefit. It's very quick and assumes a decent knowledge of grammar (which mine was shaky til I started Analytical Grammar with my older boys) It makes sense to me now looking at it, but was kind of sketchy I think, the first time around. I took comfort when the book said all we needed to know was the right column is sing. and left is pl.

As far as the difference between 1st and 2nd declension...some nouns are 1st declension nouns and some are 2nd. When you memorize vocabulary you must memorize not only the word but the genitive ending that is given along with in the vocab lists. It's the gentive ending that let's you know the declension.

I would encourage you to hang in there. Memorize what the book says to memorize with quick daily repetitions. It will make so much more sense as you progress. I have supplemented the program with Ecce Romani (because it was handy to me.) It has simple reading passages that we would read together orally and translate orally and ask/answer questions in Latin. The philosophy of LC is BIG into memorizing the grammar before too much application is introduced. I'm fine with that philosophy but it's FUN to do a bit of reading...just to see how much you know or can figure out. It's quite motivating.

We've also played around with Lingua Angelica from Memoria Press (their song/prayer memory/translation supplement) The songs are beautiful but we've had mixed success in translating them. Ecce Romani is much more fun as a reading supplement. I borrowed mine from the library and when I returned them I bought some very cheap, very used copies at half.com.

Edited by silliness7

I have used Latina Christiana in the past and plan to use it again next year with my 3rd and 5th graders. My oldest two started with Prima Latina, LCI and were half way through LCII when they came out with First Form and then we promptly switched over to First Form. First Form is now Memoria Press's suggested "next step" after LCI. I'm not sure where that leaves LCII (oh well) I have had no prior Latin experience before LC and I do enjoy it. I did not splurge on the DVD's. I fiddled around with Latin for Children, Lively Latin, Minimus and came back to LC.

To memorize the 2nd declension we just repeated the endings a couple of times daily and then repeated the declension of servus (the example noun the text gives) It doesn't take long and it is incredibly necessary for the whole thing to become automatic. Repeat, repeat, repeat :-) I wish that LC had more written work in it. I went so far as to write out my own translation worksheets but that was before I started First Form and was able to see the bigger picture. First Form is what I had wished LC had been. Now I understand LC as being a gentle introduction. I don't think I will give my extra worksheets to my 3rd and 5th graders because I know they will get plenty of practice in First Form, which reviews everything in LC at a little bit deeper level.

As far as knowing when to use which case...you don't! Page 37 of my LCI teacher's guide gives a quick breakdown for the teacher's benefit. It's very quick and assumes a decent knowledge of grammar (which mine was shaky til I started Analytical Grammar with my older boys) It makes sense to me now looking at it, but was kind of sketchy I think, the first time around. I took comfort when the book said all we needed to know was the right column is sing. and left is pl.

As far as the difference between 1st and 2nd declension...some nouns are 1st declension nouns and some are 2nd. When you memorize vocabulary you must memorize not only the word but the genitive ending that is given along with in the vocab lists. It's the gentive ending that let's you know the declension.

I would encourage you to hang in there. Memorize what the book says to memorize with quick daily repetitions. It will make so much more sense as you progress. I have supplemented the program with Ecce Romani (because it was handy to me.) It has simple reading passages that we would read together orally and translate orally and ask/answer questions in Latin. The philosophy of LC is BIG into memorizing the grammar before too much application is introduced. I'm fine with that philosophy but it's FUN to do a bit of reading...just to see how much you know or can figure out. It's quite motivating.

We've also played around with Lingua Angelica from Memoria Press (their song/prayer memory/translation supplement) The songs are beautiful but we've had mixed success in translating them. Ecce Romani is much more fun as a reading supplement. I borrowed mine from the library and when I returned them I bought some very cheap, very used copies at half.com.

:iagree: Bascially you need to learn them first then as you progress you will understand why. If you don't have the DVD's I HIGHLY suggest getting them. They really add more to the program then what you have in the manual.

We've been struggling with book 2 for LC. I took a look at First Form at the Cinn Convention but ended up buying Latin Alive! from Classical Academic Press.

Latin Alive! is more for the logic stage & focuses more on translation but I'm thinking (hoping) it will compliment Prima & LC book 1. We never struggled with Prima & LC 1 but we did use the DVDs and took book 1 slow- don't move on until they have it down! Oh, and we used Ludere Latine I, which are Latin games. I think this was a HUGE help for LC book 1!!!

I used LCI and II with my oldest children, and we always bogged down in the latter half of LCII. It was just too boring, even with the DVDs. We are now using Lively Latin and I love it! I love our Latin time! I love our Latin studies! My two dc understand and I understand and we are progressing nicely. I started it when they were 9 and almost 12.

HTH,

Lisa

I was hoping anyone using this program could give me some pointers or advice. I am just not getting it, this is my first experience with Latin as well, and therefore I think my dd is suffering too.

We finished Prima Latina earlier this year and moved onto Latina Christiana I. It was going along smoothly until we got to the 2nd declension. My dd can memorize the vocabulary without any problems, but declining (is that even the word?) is where we run into trouble. The book doesn't really go into detail about what all the cases represent or why you use the 1st declension instead of the 2nd. So I feel like we are memorizing words and case endings without knowing the reasons why. That sort of feels like memorizing division tables before understanding addition. Maybe it is just me, I dunno. But if you use this program and like it, can you tell me why. How exactly are you using it? If you have switched to another, which one? Any advice would be most helpful here!

Thanks so much!

Hi, I did PL, LCI, and LCII before moving into Henle this year, and I know *exactly* what you mean about feeling lost in a fog! I had no Latin background either, and felt like LC didn't really explain things very well. I am one who wants to know WHY I am memorizing something - I need the big picture, and I wasn't getting that with LC. However, since it was rec'd in WTM, which I trusted because I did not get this kind of systematic education, I stuck with LC, and am glad I did. I didn't use the DVDs either - couldn't afford them. So I ploughed through. I read about LC here on the boards (your questions have come up many times in the past - no, you are not stupid - the book is unclear sometimes), and sometimes read the MP forums to understand something (because there are some mistakes in LC, although recent revisions hopefully have cleared them up). And I asked questions here as I went along.

Yes, declining is the act of breaking a noun down into its parts. And, it's not a matter of whether or not you "use the first declension instead of the second declension." It has to do with the fact that each noun *belongs* to a declension. Vita, ae belongs to first declension; filius, i belongs to second declension. Nouns are classified into declensions (and you'll learn more about how to classify new nouns you encounter). And you have to memorize each declension's endings, along with a "model noun" for that declension, so that when you learn more nouns, you will be able to decline them according to their declension and use them properly according to what sentence part they are (subject, direct object, object of preposition, etc.). These sentence parts are what the cases within a declension are all about, and you will learn more about that (for example, nominative case is for nouns being used as subjects, accusative case is for nouns being used as direct objects).

The good news is that if you hang in there with LC 1 and 2 and go into Henle (assuming MP hasn't come out with all of First to Fourth Forms by then), the first long while of Henle I will be a breeze!

One thing I'd recommend is buying the Henle Grammar book - it has all the grammar forms in it, and if you look up some things you are confused about in LC, you might get the "bigger picture" you need. But even if you don't, come back here and ask more specific questions.

hth

You could also try doing one lesson every two weeks. I've done that with my daughter and it allows time for the material to sink in, not to mention it gives the child more time to practice. I would advocate the flashcards and just go over the declensions slowly. If you have particular musical ability, you could try making the declensions into songs. Younger children often learn well this way. As for understanding it yourself, just keep going. I was terrified of having to learn the declensions and didn't 'get it' either at the beginning, but it will start to become clearer as you progress. Hope this helps a little!

Thank you all so much. I am unable to buy the DVDs, but I will stick with it. I am happy to hear that I am not alone in my lack of Latin knowledge. We will stick with the flash cards and memorization and I might try breaking it up into 2 weeks.

:iagree: Yes! The DVD's help. I don't think I would be able to do it without the DVDs. I make a cheat sheet for my son, a chart with first declensions (singular, plural). Then one whole page for the verbs (o, s, t, mus, tis, nt). PM me if you want me to send you our little chart.

Have you checked out the Memoria press link? Here: http://memoriapress.com/video/LCISlides/index.html

You can print the slides from the DVDs. I think it's Lesson 8 that you want. I do this as well as watch the DVDs.

HTH

Thanks so much! I would love the chart...I will PM you right now. Also, I didn't know about the slides. I will head over and check those out.

One thing I'd recommend is buying the Henle Grammar book - it has all the grammar forms in it, and if you look up some things you are confused about in LC, you might get the "bigger picture" you need. But even if you don't, come back here and ask more specific questions.

hth

Thanks for the words of advice, they were super helpful. One question, I was looking for the Henle Grammar book and it looks like they only sell it as a set. I will try looking for it somewhere else.Is the actual title Henle Grammar?

Thanks again everyone!

One question, I was looking for the Henle Grammar book and it looks like they only sell it as a set. I will try looking for it somewhere else.Is the actual title Henle Grammar?

If you scroll down that page you linked, you will see, on the right side, where it says "individual books." Henle Grammar (yes, it's the title) is there, for $9.50. You can add it to your cart and buy it alone. (Imagine how thrilled I was when I found mine at a thrift store for a dollar! What's really fun is that it had a student's name in it from long ago, and it was the same Catholic high school that my father attended back in the 50s. I told him about it, and we figure it was Henle Latin that my father studied. :D)

If you scroll down that page you linked, you will see, on the right side, where it says "individual books." Henle Grammar (yes, it's the title) is there, for $9.50. You can add it to your cart and buy it alone. (Imagine how thrilled I was when I found mine at a thrift store for a dollar! What's really fun is that it had a student's name in it from long ago, and it was the same Catholic high school that my father attended back in the 50s. I told him about it, and we figure it was Henle Latin that my father studied. :D)

Oh thanks! Now I see it. I have trouble with that website sometimes, I am sure it is just me, but I never can find what I am looking for!

:001_smile:

And lucky you for the thrift store score!