Menu

Can I start one more CLAA thread? - just Grammar this time

I wanted to thank everybody who took the time to post responses on my last CLAA thread. When I started it, I had absolutely NO idea that the responses would be so ... much like they were. ;) Again, thanks to all who responded. I've been doing a great deal of reading and looking around since the thread began (and before that actually but more so since :D).

I'm not convinced I want to do a full enrolment with the CLAA anymore but I have not completely written it off.

I'm would really like to know more about the Grammar course they offer. Is it well done? Are the lessons well presented and the grammar taught correct? Are there flaws with it? Is it done so that the lessons are really accessible for a grammar stage child?

I now know there is a family forum for CLAA but I feel more comfortable here at the moment :tongue_smilie:. I feel that if I do put my child(ren) in CLAA that I will not be spending much time on their forums. I'd like my dc to get the benefit of a solid, well taught, and accurate Grammar and Latin program without being too involved with the CLAA itself. Is this possible? I guess what I'm saying is, I'd like to reap the benefits of my child taking one of their classes, do my part that is required of me as a parent with a child registered in the program, but keep other than that, go on my path of following the WTM.

I'm drowning in my dc's Latin education at the moment.:tongue_smilie: My oldest is doing so well with the translation work she's doing and I'm having a hard time keeping up. :001_huh:

I just addressed this on the other thread, but will throw it out here too. I was informed directly that to continue with the program one must take the Catechism classes. SO- make sure you want to take those, or you won't be able to finish the levels. Makes sense; everything is connected. Regarding if that is a good idea or not can be discussed on the other thread, right? :D

(This is not a pro or con post)

I just addressed this on the other thread, but will throw it out here too. I was informed directly that to continue with the program one must take the Catechism classes. SO- make sure you want to take those, or you won't be able to finish the levels. Makes sense; everything is connected. Regarding if that is a good idea or not can be discussed on the other thread, right? :D

(This is not a pro or con post)

I saw your post after I started this thread. We must have been posting at close to the same time. Are those the only 2 that you HAVE to take? I've been trying to contact the CLAA but they were shut down for Easter break and nobody has returned my email/phone call yet.

Oh whoops. I missed that. :glare: Are those the only 2 that you HAVE to take? I've been trying to contact the CLAA but they were shut down for Easter break and nobody has returned my email/phone call yet.

At the time I was looking into it (last fall) I got this info:

One did not have to enroll in the Cat. class *at first*. If you want to continue with the program (into upper levels) the Cat. classes would be required so that all students would have the basic foundation for argument. I was thankful to find that out, as I wanted a program that we could continue with. After all, I don't think I could just pick up where the basic classes stopped! We aren't Catholic, but aren't protestant either so I thought we could be OK... After talking with my Priest and others I decided that it would just end up confusing the kids (we were going through a Catechism at our Orthodox church). I don't know if there are similar situations with other classes as I moved on at that point. Hope that made sense!

Edited by happygrrl

Jane, my dd 12 is enrolled in Grammar I. In fact, she just started it this month. We've done Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I and II, so my daughter is fairly familiar of the basics and how Latin is set up. She is enjoying the lesson. It's challenging and well done. Maybe someone else who has progressed further can give you more input on the other lessons. It starts with teaching classical pronunciation and later on introduces ecclesiastical pronunciation. Out of every complaint I have heard of regarding the CLAA, none of them have been about the content of the Grammar program. Occasionally there are proofreading goofs that are brought to Mr. Michael's attention and soon corrected but nothing factually incorrect. Although I am not a Latin scholar and my experience is limited to teaching LC and learning Wheelock's Latin in college, so you know, take that with the usual understanding that this is my opinion.

As for being required to take Catechism, I think that is only true if you are intending for your student to progress beyond the basic level of classes and of course if you were seeking an eventual certificate of completion of study from the CLAA. If I remember correctly, a student may take just a single course without other obligation. See here under the section marked "Extern Students": http://www.classicalliberalarts.com/admissions/index.htm So if you just wanted to enroll in Grammar, I don't see that there's any problem with that.

I wanted to thank everybody who took the time to post responses on my last CLAA thread. When I started it, I had absolutely NO idea that the responses would be so ... much like they were. ;) Again, thanks to all who responded. I've been doing a great deal of reading and looking around since the thread began (and before that actually but more so since :D).

I'm not convinced I want to do a full enrolment with the CLAA anymore but I have not completely written it off.

I'm would really like to know more about the Grammar course they offer. Is it well done? Are the lessons well presented and the grammar taught correct? Are there flaws with it? Is it done so that the lessons are really accessible for a grammar stage child?

I now know there is a family forum for CLAA but I feel more comfortable here at the moment :tongue_smilie:. I feel that if I do put my child(ren) in CLAA that I will not be spending much time on their forums. I'd like my dc to get the benefit of a solid, well taught, and accurate Grammar and Latin program without being too involved with the CLAA itself. Is this possible? I guess what I'm saying is, I'd like to reap the benefits of my child taking one of their classes, do my part that is required of me as a parent with a child registered in the program, but keep other than that, go on my path of following the WTM.

I'm drowning in my dc's Latin education at the moment.:tongue_smilie: My oldest is doing so well with the translation work she's doing and I'm having a hard time keeping up. :001_huh:

Why not email Mr. or Mrs. Michael directly? When I emailed the school awhile back, I was told that I could enroll in only Grammar I.

I have cut and pasted my response to your question in the other CLAA thread -- HTH -- PS -- I wasn't aware (or paid no attention) to anything saying that one had to enroll in catechism when using CLAA (do I have that right?). Anyway, we are only taking grammar and won't be continuing but that decision has nothing to do with anything that has been discussed on this bb.

My three children are taking Grammar through CLAA. I've been aware of the 'other stuff' going on since right after we enrolled, but we have stayed with the course. The Grammar has been excellent, imo, and I have 15+ yrs experience as a classroom teacher prior to homeschooling. The children are learning scripture verses in Latin, they are memorizing, they are taking dictation in Latin, they are learning prepositions in Latin and that is helping them with their MCTLA. The content is correct, the level of work is fine for my three (who are G&T) - as a former classroom teacher, however, I would guess that there are children who have difficulty 'mastering' the material and scoring 100% on the quizzes and examinations as I see the instruction in Grammar through CLAA as being 'parent-led' or 'student-led.' In Grammar, (and I am unfamiliar with other CLAA courses) one prints out the material, and 'learns' it. It was not until we saw the first Quiz/Exam that we had any idea 'where' we were going with the material (and, I wasn't thrilled with that) but it has been a good learning experience for us. It requires discipline and accountability. We are having a rather 'topsy turvy' school year (many things going on) and I enrolled the kids in Grammar b/c I had already bailed on PL, LC, and wasn't willing to tackle something meatier (GP?) at that late date (December, I think). DD11 has alreaady had three years of Latin in private school, and even she finds Grammar pleasantly challenging. This is the first year of Latin for the twins, and it is an excellent fit for them (3rd grade).

It has provided structure where we have needed structure. I don't go to the forums, I don't do anything else with CLAA - I have to keep our passwords written down - that is how infrequently we use them, but for the grammar, I have no problem with it.

I was on the Yahoo group and did read the LCC communication when it was going on -- and my curric is more Latin-Centered than anything else as it keeps us focused and on track.

That being said, the content, the process, the assessment (quizzes and exams) of the Grammar course are proving to be a positive experience for my children and for me, so we will complete the course. Will I enroll them in another CLAA course? No -- that is not the path we are taking (we are not Catholic - although I was educated in Catholic schools) - but as for the Grammar course, I have no issue with it. HTH

Hi there,

We've just begun Catechism I and Grammar I as well. So far, I'm really impressed. I really want my daughter to study Latin. We tried with Prima Latina and it just didn't work for us. It was always a chore and (for us) was disjointed. I will say that CLAA Grammar I is rigorous, though my dd doesn't know that:tongue_smilie:. I don't know if we will enroll in other courses in the future because I want to focus on these basics. We are new with the program but I'm very happy with what I have seen.

Good luck to you.

I'm would really like to know more about the Grammar course they offer. Is it well done? Yes (longer answer in a post I wrote above.) Are the lessons well presented Yes and the grammar taught correct? Yes Are there flaws with it? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, not a flaw; I would describe it as an adjustment that has to be made to the presentation of material and expectation of what is required. We seemed to get past that after Lesson 1. Is it done so that the lessons are really accessible for a grammar stage child? I assist my third graders at a minimal level. My 5th grader does the work completely independently -- now that we are getting a routine in place, the three of them do the work together - 5th grader leading and helping the youngers.

I now know there is a family forum for CLAA but I feel more comfortable here at the moment :tongue_smilie:. I feel that if I do put my child(ren) in CLAA that I will not be spending much time on their forums. I don't think I've ever gone to their Forums to be honest with you. Never intended to, and don't see any reason to go there. I'd like my dc to get the benefit of a solid, well taught, and accurate Grammar and Latin program without being too involved with the CLAA itself. Is this possible? Yes, I am doing just that. And, pleased with the arrangement. I guess what I'm saying is, I'd like to reap the benefits of my child taking one of their classes, do my part that is required of me as a parent with a child registered in the program, but keep other than that, go on my path of following the WTM. As I said, I am doing that and I am pleased with my decision to do so.

This is why I began looking at the Grammar course at CLAA -- It is meeting the need that I intended for it to meet.

OH dear, I see that I wasn't at all clear. One *can* enroll in other courses without doing catechism. However, if one wants to continue into upper levels one must enroll in catechism (even if you are not Catholic).

I only bring it up in case someone, like me, was looking for a course that would take us "all the way" and was not aware of this fact. Mr. M explained his reasons for this in an e-mail to me, and so we decided to go another route. If you are not looking to continue in the program you don't *have* to enroll in the Catechism.

Jane,

I responded in more detail to your earlier post. But, to put it simply the Grammar program is excellent.

I have been thrilled with what my two daughters have learned there (and my son in the Petty School program as well).

Like you are contemplating, I first enrolled my kids only in the Grammar course. I liked it so much, that I have slowly added more and more courses. It is really quite good.