Menu

Researching hs high school age dual enrollment

Guest Patti

Guest Patti

:bigear: Hello all. I am researching home schooled students who are also enrolled in a high school vocational program at their public school. I am an instructor of culinary arts, and have had 6 hs students through my program in the last eight years. I am writing a paper entitled "Respecting the Home Schooled Student" for a master's degree class, and will be presenting it to a group of vocational educators. It has been difficult for me to find information on dual enrolled students. If anyone has had experience with this subject, please e-mail or post your thoughts as I am looking for as much information as possible. Thank-you

As soon as you say "dual enrollment", the thought is you are asking about high school students who take college courses. The study mentioned below is of that type of student.

I don't think there's any formal term for homeschooled students who take some classes at a public high school. You probably won't find much information about it because it is fairly uncommon. Some states and some school districts do not even allow it. Where it is allowed, many homeschooling parents do not want to do it.

You really are a pioneer in terms of documenting this type of situation, from what I know. I think your best bet is simply to gather individual experiences as much as possible by asking for them here and on other homeschooling forums. To do that, you may need to start gathering links to other forums. I am thinking Yahoo! probably has a high school homeschooling group (maybe more than one), and I am sure there are other hosts for such groups. Again, a difficulty you have is that many more families homeschool the elementary and middle school years than do the high school years. I'm not sure how many homeschooling families send their children to public or private high schools, but it's a fairly high percentage (I'm thinking 50% or so?). That makes the pool of families you are looking at quite small, especially if you limit it to students who take vocational high school classes rather than academic high school classes. You have had 6 homeschooled students in 8 years take culinary arts classes. Most schools wouldn't have any.