Menu

Anyone have a child attend summer camp at the Naval Academy?

My son has been accepted to attend a week long summer session at the Naval Academy in Annopolis, and I am wondering if anyone has had a child attend, and if so, what did they think of the experience? My son is very excited, but I'm feeling a little nervous...

Thanks for any insight!

Kirsten

My husband did that when he was in highschool. He scored well on the PSAT and put that he was interested in engineering, so was recruited to go to the week there. He said they stayed in the dorm there, had one roommate, and picked which classes they would be interested in attending. Then they were assigned to classes to attend. They ate in the Cafeteria there. He said he and the other kids that went really enjoyed it. He also said it was VERY organized, noone is ever left alone at all for any reason, well maybe potty break. ;)

That was awhile ago, obviously, but that's a general idea of how it went. If you have any more specific questions, I could ask him.

Maybe someone else has done it more recently....

Thanks, Brindee, for the overview! My son also did well on the PSAT and is planning on studying engineering, so that is probably why he got the invitation brochure. We sent in his application, and he got accepted, so now he needs to get in shape for the physical part ( he is a competitive swimmer, but needs to do some running since that is what they will be doing there, at 5:30 in the morning!). I am just wondering if it is going to be like boot camp, or more like a rigorous summer camp. Anyway, just a nervous mom wanting to know more...

TransientChris, as far as the camp goes, they just call it Naval Academy Summer Seminar 2010, and it is open to kids completing their junior year in high school. So the one your daughter wants to go to must be something different from this? Hopefully she will hear soon; I know the waiting can be hard!

Kirsten

It was going on while my dc were at their swim camp a couple of years ago. It was hot! And the Summer Seminar kids looked hot and miserable. (The swimmers got to get in the pool three times a day - the Summer Seminar kids didn't.) Dc were told they could bring a fan for their rooms - if he's allowed to, I highly recommend it, along with a case of water, GatorAde, etc.

Ds went to West Point's (so dd I back in the dark ages) and it wasn't at all like boot camp. They were definitely still recruiting. We got to try a few classes (ds made a robot that went down the hall interrupting and spying on the other classes, I fired rockets off the Plain), had a lot of briefings (speeches by the Supe, the Dean, Admissions, etc.), lived in the dorms, ate in the mess hall, etc. Have to agree with the highly organized part (although they let me loose to go swim with the AAU team that used their pool).

He should check out the pool - it's huge.

Ds's group was told that half of them would be there (West Point - although Navy is probably similar) next year as cadets.

Edited by In The Great White North

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences!

I guess he will be fine...he has survived some pretty gruesomely hot/humid weeks at Boy Scout Camp, so as long as he stays hydrated, the heat should not ruin his week. The schedule indicates that they will do their workouts early in the morning, so that is good! I know he will love the academicic sessions, so I will try not to worry about the rest!!

thanks again,

Kirsten