Menu

I need your advice in scheduling...opinion pls!

Leila

I have 2 children, one will be in Grade 1 next year and the other Grade 6. I don't know what I am going to do in terms of history schedule. I started doing the 4 history rotation 3 years ago when my eldest was in 3rd grade. Before that we did American history (1st and 2nd grade). I want to start my first grader next year on the right timeline beginning Ancient ,but at the same time I don't want to do 2 history time period for 2 kids. My eldest is supposed to be studying Modern History 1850 -2000 next year. What would make sense to you, tag along my first grader to my ds10 who will be studying the last part of Modern History ,or let both of them start Ancient period since my 6th grader has had a lot of exposure to American history anyway.

Or does any of you do different time periods with different kids? If yes, how do you schedule it.

Any opinion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

...I noticed you have a 4 year old too. I think it would make sense to have the 1st grader do Modern with your older child this year and have all three kids start over with Ancients next year. Hopefully that would make the workload less for you.

I'm going to follow this thread and see how others respond. My kids are two years apart so theoretically when my older child is doing Renaissance is when my younger child would start. I thought keeping them together would make the most sense, but maybe not.

Or does any of you do different time periods with different kids? If yes, how do you schedule it.

I do, and my daughters are only a year apart. They rarely work together, in any subject. It can get quite hectic at times for me, but they work better that way.

Regarding History, they have certain amount of content they must go through or learn about on their own during the week, and then we have a rather fixed day when we talk about it one on one, I check their work and give further clarifications. Sometimes I also do mini one on one lectures, but at this point (6th & 7th) I approach History more on a descriptive than argumentative level. This approach probably wouldn't work with young elementary kids, though.

This is what I was thinking,too. My ds10 is a strong reader and he did pretty well this year managing his reading assignment for history. I am not really worried about the load for him next year. I can make a list of things to be done and check at the end of the day of what he has done. Discuss and narrate, or do writing together.

But I was also thinking that putting them together is an opportunity for both of them to have something to do together.

I am just having difficulty deciding which way to go. I know this is for next school year. Just thinking ahead. I just hope somebody will enlighten me.:001_smile: