Menu

Theater or drama curriculum?

You might check your local cc for film/theater classes. Sometimes they'll have them as enrichment classes &/or for credit. Our cc has a Literature and Film class that meets at a local theater.

:iagree:

Some written references you may want to have are the following high school (secular) textbooks:

Theatre Art in Action published by McGraw-Hill.

Exploring Theatre published by West Publishing.

You may be able to get these secondhand locally or you could try www.fes.follett.com.

I found How Does the Show Go On? An Introduction to the Theater by Thomas Schumacher very informative about all the work that goes into producing a Broadway show. Be aware, though, that this book is produced by Disney, and as such, overwhelmingly focuses on the Broadway shows that Disney has produced in New York. Also along the same lines is Bravo! Brava! A Night at the Opera: Behind the Scenes with Composers, Cast, and Crew, which shows how much work goes into an opera production. I have also found this website interesting: www.musical-theater-kids.com

There's also the now-classic Acting & Theatre: An Usborne Introduction. And for younger kids (but may still be useful at the high school level) is Kids Take the Stage: Helping Young People Discover the Creative Outlet of Theater.

www.musicmotion.com has a lot of Broadway resources. Stanley Green has a book Broadway Musicals: Show by Show. They also sell a book for grades 9-12 called Appreciating Musicals.

A local radio station broadcasts a syndicated show from New York called "A Night on the Town" with host George Harter (www.musicaltheaterheritage.com). You may want to check if a station in your area broadcasts it. There are some podcasts of the show on their website.

If you child get really ambitious and decides to put on a musical, you can buy scripts for musical theatre classics from Hal Leonard, Musical Theatre International or Penders. From Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatricals, the ones meant for children and teens include Getting to Know...Cinderella, Getting to Know...Oklahoma!, Getting to Know...Once Upon a Mattress (a spin-off of "The Princess and the Pea"), Getting to Know...The King and I. Musical Theatre International has load of "Junior" shows for teens to put on.

Edited by Shifra

Thank you all for the information. My daughter is taking musical theater classes at her ballet school and is currently in a Shakespeare co-op class this spring. I was looking for more textbook-y type work to supplement. I will look into the the given suggestions you all gave.