Menu

Curriculum for 2 Year old??

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have 2 older boys, oldest average in intelligence and younger son is gifted mathematically. My dd will be 2 in 2 weeks. She can sing her ABCs, count to 5, recognize half the alphabet, knows colors, knows shapes, and speaks clearly. What sort of curriculum do you use? She could not write, but I would like to teach her to read since the interest is there. She will listen to me read books for an hour!

I have 2 older boys, oldest average in intelligence and younger son is gifted mathematically. My dd will be 2 in 2 weeks. She can sing her ABCs, count to 5, recognize half the alphabet, knows colors, knows shapes, and speaks clearly. What sort of curriculum do you use? She could not write, but I would like to teach her to read since the interest is there. She will listen to me read books for an hour!

Phonics Pathways has no writing and is simple to use. You can easily modify lessons to be as short or long as her attention span.

OPGTR has NO writing. Use letter magnets & a magnadoodle (or white board) and it is great for youngins. I do anywhere from 1/4 of a lesson to a whole lesson (dep. on difficulty and attn. span of my 2yo).

For math, I waited until mine could count to 30 and recognize #s 1-10 but I have no reasons for waiting until then, just what I did. I am not a mathy person so I am doing Saxon K (no writing and VERY basic) - I am basically playing games w/my 2yo with manipulatives. I'm not sure she's really mathy, so it's good for her (LOTS of repetition).

My 2yo just asked me yesterday to teach her to write so we are going to start HWT (wooden blocks & chalk board for awhile until I feel she is ready for the workbook).

Other than that, we just read a large variety of library books.

I would say crafts & Mudpies to Magnets are good, but we don't do them b/c I am a no-prep kinda gal (lazy).

we are in a similar circumstance. here is what we are planning for the rest of this year:

lots of read alouds

abc letters

foam numbers for the bathtub (she focuses best in the bath for numbers)

coloring books

bible stories (read aloud)

arts and crafts

number books/stories/read alouds

next year we are stepping it up after she turns 3 (dd is an end of december baby):

math: mcp math k (taking it at her pace)

phonics: montessori read and write along with MCP phonics, mcguffey's primer and Catholic National Reader (modifying for her level of attention, writing and so forth)

religion: bible stories for children and bible history, along with coloring books and devotionals from CHC

science: science and living in God's world and experiments

history: bible history and myths from around the world (greek, roman, celtic, japanese, chinese, etc)

art/music: coloring, play dough, clay, paints. for music just exposing her to different genres (rock, country, classical, etc)

geography: maps to color, puzzles, etc

this will all be done at her level and when she's ready. the 3 yr old curriculum will take some time for her to get through since she can have a bit of spastic attention span but i'm hoping that with lots of good kinesthetic learning she will be able to sit still since she's got a bad case of the wiggles. we will incorporate lots of movement learning like alphabet tag, hopscotch, etc

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I used Carol's Affordable Curriculum when my big girl was 2 - the Son Shine package. She already knew most of it (colors, shapes, numbers and letter recognition) so I used it for letter sounds and the crafts.

Thanks I love the way this looks and it will give her time to catch up on Motor Skills!

I also ordered Phonics Pathways for her.

Thanks I love the way this looks and it will give her time to catch up on Motor Skills!

I also ordered Phonics Pathways for her.

It's nice too because it comes with all the supplies needed for the crafts minus scissors, glue and crayons. They have a fun summer curriculum that has three crafts scheduled every week and based on a weekly theme. Their curriculum runs Sept - May so it's at the tail end of the "school year".

Other than teaching phonics to my eldest, I unschooled the preschool years. Lots of play, lots of vocabulary, lots of reading & following their interests. My other two gifted dc either weren't interested or ready to read (depending on which one.) We also like Phonics Pathways. Reading is dependent on eye development among other things, but if she can read letters that size she may well be ready to read (but then again, may not be interested or quite ready.)

I highly recommend Five In a Row. Also cutting and tracing workbooks. I would stick with teaching letter sounds for now using flash cards or just pointing and telling. Blending is a developmental step that can not really be taught. You can slowly sound out cvc words and see if she can figure out what you are saying. C---A----T. When she starts figuring that out, you can write out cvc words for her to sound out. 1 a day until the skill clicks. I use the chart in TATRAS and teach vertical phonics: A says, c/a/t, c/a/ke, f/a/ll. I don't use the program as directed until they are on their third set of Bob books, but I love the chart that teaches about 60 phonograms. Most of my kids knew most of their phonograms before they started reading, so it went quickly once they figured out decoding.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I just wanted to say thanks. I LOVE Phonics Pathways, it came this morning. I really like the way it is set up and glad I went with it. I even switched my 5 year old over this morning and we did all the vowels as review.