Menu

AP Us history exam

Next year my son will finish up our TOG rotation with year 4. I was thinking that May might be a good time to take the AP US History exam. We have done SO much history over the years and travelled to so many places (Leave for Vicksburg, Shiloh and Chickamauga this week). Would stopping TOG history around week 30ish ( Carter administration) next year and instead spending 6 weeks to do test prep work??

Christine

Christine,

I'm bumping this a bit for you. No answers as my dc have not taken APUSH. But, it might be helpful to look at the AP website and the specific APUSH topics/requirements as well as a few of the previous exams. That would give you an idea of what is on the test. The APUSH exam also a free-response section (essay). From my understanding, a student specifically needs to learn how to respond to these FRQ's for the most points. That might be an area of study in addtional to what your dc has learned in TOG.

HTH,

Lisa

The APUSH test went all the way to Post Cold War events. There is a list of topics that are on the test on the AP website

Make sure your son knows how to do a Document Based Question (DBQ), and how to do an essay the way the college board wants it. If you go to the college board website, you can find all sorts of guidance. You should be able to find practice tests and practice essays as well as an essay guide at bookstores.

My son is scheduled to take the test this year through the local hs (plan ahead as some districts are better than others at accommodating hs'ers!)

In addition to our regular studies we got an AP prep book from Borders (about $12) that had lots of practice essay questions and was in chronological order so as he completed a section he'd do the practice essays for the corresponding time period. He will finish his text by the end of this month and spend the final 3 weeks prepping for the test. I'll let you know how it works out :001_smile:

My son is scheduled to take the test this year through the local hs (plan ahead as some districts are better than others at accommodating hs'ers!)

In addition to our regular studies we got an AP prep book from Borders (about $12) that had lots of practice essay questions and was in chronological order so as he completed a section he'd do the practice essays for the corresponding time period. He will finish his text by the end of this month and spend the final 3 weeks prepping for the test. I'll let you know how it works out :001_smile:

Yes, I was trying to do this with the statistics exam and the AP board, said not to call until February as who gives the test varies!! I may just call around in September anyway. Your idea about the practice with the corresponding time period is what I thought about doing. I thought about doing a practice section from time periods before as well as the one for that week's work each week. I figure it would be good writing practice as well.

Christine

Let me know how your child does!