Menu

Teaching Company - Western Civ II anyone use these?

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing The Teaching Co, Western Civ II. Has anyone used these? It go really good reviews on their website. If you have used them, what spine did you use and was the "transcript" worth buyng. How did you plan the year... (read text, look at lecture, write? did you dc read and history fiction/literature?)

Thanks SO much for all the help,

Sangita

I'm finishing it up today. I REALLY like it! I don't buy the extra transcript; the book of summaries and outlines that come with the course is good enough (this course has very detatiled outlines). I'm using it myself to keep up with what my older ds is studying in high school. He occasionally watches some lectures with me.

His teacher's world history website: http://www.stjohnshigh.org/s/804/index.aspx?sid=804&gid=1&pgid=360

This is the latest textbook website that you DON'T have to pay to use; it's close enough:

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_craig_herwldciv_7/32/8277/2118912.cw/index.html

MIch elle,

Thanks SO much. I actually posted to you the same question on another OP. I appreciate the links. We've never used TC before and next year will be dd first year in hs. Thanks for the tip of not purchasing the transcript. I called them a while ago, b/c I forgot to order the transcript last night. The operator told me it comes with the guidebook and kindly told me the transcript is optional and I could order later (for the reduced cost)... so I won't purchase after what you told me - thanks...

-I clicked on the first link and then clicked on course syllabus, but it said this page doesn't exist. Should I be doing something else?

- How would you suggest using TC Western Civ II? Read the online text (one you gave me) then what...? should I dicuss with dc? Have her write essays.... this is all new to me (first child entering hs!!!)... I just really liked what I saw for these DVDs (on the TC website) so I purchased knowing I'll use them somehow, but would love to know how you used them!

Thank you again,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

MIch elle,

One more thing - when I went to the peason website (book) how do I look at the chapters themselves? I saw across the top TOC, 1,2,3,etc. I clicked on Ch 1, it showed the overview summary, then I click on Early Humans and Their Culture (left side column) it only says -

After reading this section, you should be able to:

• Define culture
  • Describe essential features of Paleolithic, Neolithic, and Bronze Age cultures
  • Define civilization

I don't see the full text. Sorry what am I missing....?

Thanks again for your patience.

Sangita

MIch elle,

-I clicked on the first link and then clicked on course syllabus, but it said this page doesn't exist. Should I be doing something else?

- How would you suggest using TC Western Civ II? Read the online text (one you gave me) then what...? should I dicuss with dc? Have her write essays.... this is all new to me (first child entering hs!!!)... I just really liked what I saw for these DVDs (on the TC website) so I purchased knowing I'll use them somehow, but would love to know how you used them!

Thank you again,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

...because I'm not teaching high school.

The course syllabus is gone. The teacher updates this main page as the year progresses. The online link to the book is only a supplement to the textbook, The Heritage of World Civilizations (which is college level). My ds only uses the online site occasionally (not a class requirement) for the online chapter quizzes/test.

The way I use WCII is read the guidebook lecture, watch the lecture, re-read the outline and follow my interest in that lecture or not. I recently watched online PBS AM. Exp. "Victory in the Pacific" and "The Bombing of Germany" which were EXCELLENT! I also do internet searches in areas I don't understand or need more clarification. I read SOTW 4 and other history books I own. I've just started reading The Cold War A New History

(recommended by ds's teacher on his site) which picks up where WCII is leaving off.

There are questions in the back of each lecture outline but no answers. They also recommend books to use with the course but there are too many to buy or try to get from the library so I use what I have and the internet.

If I were you I would either use a textbook and follow it and fill in w/ WCII or the other way around. I wouldn't use The Heritage of World Civilizations at home for high school because there SO much info in that book (unless you have a history lover/reader)! For the general history class at my ds high school, they use Holt World History: http://go.hrw.com/hrw.nd/gohrw_rls1/pKeywordResults?keyword=SP3%20TOC which my ds used last year because he wasn't in honors history. I liked that book. (They do world history in grades 9 & 10.)

Click on the "tag" at the bottom of this thread to find more threads on TC.

HTH!

Thank you so much for clarifying for me! I love the Holt History link. Do you happen to know the ISBN # for this book? That would be very helpful!!! I really appreciate you helping me figure things out!

Sangita

P.S - thanks also for the "tag" info... I never even knew it was there!! duh

Also MIch elle,

I was originally thinking of using Omnibus III as using TC dvds alongside... any thoughts on this?? I haven't seen Omni in person, so I don't know if this would be too much (it uses Western Civ by Spielvogel).

Now, maybe I should just find a good text that reads well (engaging) and use it and add in TC dvds along with essays or some sort of writing... confused..!

Also MIch elle,

I was originally thinking of using Omnibus III as using TC dvds alongside... any thoughts on this?? I haven't seen Omni in person, so I don't know if this would be too much (it uses Western Civ by Spielvogel).

Now, maybe I should just find a good text that reads well (engaging) and use it and add in TC dvds along with essays or some sort of writing... confused..!

Find a world history text that you BOTH like & use it. If you use Omnibus, it makes sense to use Spielvogel (never seen it). I didn't like Omnibus II because of the primary literature selections (bought & sold). I haven't seen Omnibus III, but I do like many of the books they use for that year and think they are high school level (many VP lit. are NOT appropriate for the ages they recommend). But Omnibus does not have enough literary analysis, imho. I would also use something like How to Read Literature LIke a Professor and/or IEW Windows to the World for literary analysis; maybe not in the same year but some lit. analysis every high school yr.

My dc use CLE reading prior to attending high school.

Edited by MIch elle

MIch elle,

Thanks for your thoughts... I thought the same thing that some of their lit selections seemed advanced for the age suggested. I'll take a look at Western Civ before buying. Thanks for the heads up on the literary analysis. I think I heard the same thing from others on this board. I was thinking of using Smarr Literature Guides. Specifically - http://www.smarrpublishers.com/2400c.html (either later renaisance one or Modern... both cover some of the same time period as Omni III (reformation to present)) Have you ever used those? Or heard comments on them..?

How exactly do you use "How to read like a Professor?" Also, have you ever used IEW Teaching the Classics?

Thanks so much for your help,

Sangita

MIch elle,

How exactly do you use "How to read like a Professor?" Also, have you ever used IEW Teaching the Classics?

Thanks so much for your help,

Sangita

I haven't used How to Read Like a Lit. Prof. but only discussed some parts with my dc after I read it. I would use it if I were teaching high school but I'm not. The local public school uses this text. I may have my ds read it over the summer. Here are my reading notes on that book.

IEW Teaching the Classics is good but too elementary for high school. CLE reading covers much more than TtC so I've never used it.

MIch elle,

We use CLE for reading also. It has SO much packed in it! Right now 2nd dd is doing CLE 6, 3rd dd is using CLE Reading 3 - it is a full year program (10 wkbks). We won't get thru' all 10 this year... we are only on 304, b/c we use CLE reading 3 times a week and readers of her choice the other days. But, we can pick up where she left off in the fall...

Have you ever used CLE's LA? Our 3rd dd has some LDs and she's using FLL 3 while she can recite definitions I really don't think she "understands" concepts and I'm wondering if she needs to switch to another program.

If you've used CLE LA what do you think of it?

Thanks!

Sangita

BTW, what is LFBC in you sig?

We use CLE for reading also. It has SO much packed in it! Right now 2nd dd is doing CLE 6, 3rd dd is using CLE Reading 3 - it is a full year program (10 wkbks). We won't get thru' all 10 this year... we are only on 304, b/c we use CLE reading 3 times a week and readers of her choice the other days. But, we can pick up where she left off in the fall...

What do you during the months that your finished with CLE (since it's only 5 wkbks)?

Have you ever used CLE's LA? Our 3rd dd has some LDs and she's using FLL 3 while she can recite definitions I really don't think she "understands" concepts and I'm wondering if she needs to switch to another program.

If you've used CLE LA what do you think of it?

Thanks!

Sangita

BTW, what is LFBC in you sig?

We're using CLE LA 7 this year for the first time after using R&S English for many years with both my dc. I like it!

I spread CLE reading out. I have ds do one LU then read a book; alternating for the year. CLE LA 7 did include one book and LU with it.

Landmark Freedom Baptist Curriculum - we're using physical science only.