Menu

Ideas for high school Egypt study?

The Teaching Company course on the History of Egypt is AWESOME. The professor, Bob Brier, is a really engaging and funny speaker, and the 48 lectures cover a lot of ground. It's not currently on sale, but sometimes you can find it used on ebay, and it may go on sale again (I think the sale price is around $120) before you need it (next fall?). Check your library, too, some library systems carry TTC courses. My DS is also crazy about Egypt and he absolutely loved this course.

Jackie

We are currently doing a 15-week study of Ancient Egypt/Mesopotamia. The resources we are using:

Teaching Company - Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt - Brier

Egyptian Book of the Dead

Histories - Herodotus (Books I and II)

Tales of Ancient Egypt - Green

Gilgamesh

Our Oriental Heritage - Durant

optional reader - Cat of Bubastes

We are currently doing a 15-week study of Ancient Egypt/Mesopotamia. The resources we are using:

Teaching Company - Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt - Brier

Egyptian Book of the Dead

Histories - Herodotus (Books I and II)

Tales of Ancient Egypt - Green

Gilgamesh

Our Oriental Heritage - Durant

optional reader - Cat of Bubastes

Your plan sounds interesting. I think I read on the Teaching Company site that the "Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt" is included in the more in-depth "History of Egypt." Not having used TC before, how do you use it for a high schooler?

I liked Red Land, Black Land - Daily Life in Ancient Egypt by Barbara Mertz aka Elizabeth Peters (author of the Amelia Peabody mysteries set in 1900's Egypt). Mertz is a PhD in Egyptology. We have the text as well as the audiobook & we enjoyed listening to it.

Make sure you get the 2nd edition - I think it's copyright 2008. This book was originally pubbed in the 60's & she's updated a lot of it.

It's thorough, intelligent and often funny.

Your plan sounds interesting. I think I read on the Teaching Company site that the "Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt" is included in the more in-depth "History of Egypt." Not having used TC before, how do you use it for a high schooler?

Yes, I believe it would be redundant to do both. We are enjoying the Great Pharaohs so much, I almost wish I had purchased the longer series. :) But, we would have been pressed for time. I'm sure everyone does things differently, but I'll share what my dd is required to do.

For each lecture she writes an outline. I try and watch them with her and if I do I write an outline as well. After the lecture we compare our outlines to the outline in the guidebook and discuss a bit. There are also discussion questions at the end of each outline in the course guidebook (usually two or three questions.) We talk about them as well. She must write two papers. One choosing any one of the discussion questions from the first six lectures and the second a discussion question from the final six lectures. Each paper must answer the question chosen based on the lecture and at least two additional resources.

There are also reading suggestions (listed in the course guidebook) to accompany each lecture. We are not using any of them for this course, but I will be using some of the suggestions as required reading in future courses.

Almost everything else is simply read and discussed. The only other writing she has to do is with The Histories (Herodotus.) Each book of the Histories is broken into sections (there is probably a better word for these, but I do not know it - so sections it is.) Each section is less than a page. There are 216 sections for Book I. We try and read most of these aloud and discuss them as we go. Regardless, she writes a one sentence summary for each section. When we finish Book I (and again when we finish Book II) she must write a narrative summary of the Book based on her sentences and our discussion.

In her notebook, along with the outlines and papers, she includes sketches and drawings, but I don't require them - she just enjoys doing them. She also drew a map of Mesopotamia and will likely add one of Egypt. That's about it!

Yes, I believe it would be redundant to do both. We are enjoying the Great Pharaohs so much, I almost wish I had purchased the longer series. :)

I also bought the Pharaohs course first, and after the first 6 lectures DS was begging me to buy the full course ~ which happened to be included in a one-day sale the following weekend, so I bought it. It's incredibly entertaining, considering what a meaty, detailed course it is. I wish all professors were this good!

Jackie