Menu

I was told by a private Christian college admissions counselor...

74Heaven

Statement #1

We were told by a private Christian college admissions counselor that there are only about 4 Christian schools on the West Coast that require students to sign a statement of faith to attend. (I am sure he did not mean seminaries or Bible colleges that only award Bible or theology degrees. And I am assuming such a statement is about adhering to Jesus' divinity and salvation by faith alone. I didn't ask about the statement.)

Statement #2

Another friend told me a professor at a Christian college told her that there are only a handful of Christian colleges across the nation that teach college science classes from an Christian (or creationist) viewpoint.

I realize these statements (mindsets) are not important to many Christians and others.

I wonder if others are finding these statements to be true?

Curious.

Lisaj

Edited by 74Heaven
error, grr we "was" instead of we were...

Statement #1

We was told by a private Christian college admissions counselor that there are only about 4 Christian schools on the West Coast that require students to sign a statement of faith to attend. (I am sure he did not mean seminaries or Bible colleges that only award Bible or theology degrees. And I am assuming such a statement is about adhering to Jesus' divinity and salvation by faith alone. I didn't ask about the statement.)

Statement #2

Another friend told me a professor at a Christian college told her that there are only a handful of Christian colleges across the nation that teach college science classes from an Christian (or creationist) viewpoint.

I realize these statements (mindsets) is important to many Christians and others.

I wonder if others are finding these statements to be true?

I hesitate

Curious.

Lisaj

Concerning the first, I am sure that is true. There are very few seminaries and Christian schools on the west coast, and even fewer in the Pacific Northwest specifically (there are several in California that I know of, and one in Idaho). This is the most "unchurched" region of the country. Oh, and I attended two seminaries, one on each coast, and neither required a statement of faith. I can't imagine why anyone would apply who was not faithful or at least searching. Is this a criteria by which you judge a school?

I cannot speak to your second question.

Edited by Nicole M

My dd is considering Biola, a Christian university here in Southern CA, and this is the first item on the requirements for admission (from their website):

The student must be an evangelical believer in the Christian faith.

The essay question on the application requires applicants to describe how they have been tranformed by Christ and grown spiritually through high school.

I'm sorry, I can't speak to your second question, either, but I believe that Answers in Genesis maintains a list of colleges that teach science from a creationist perspective.

HTH!

To answer Nicole, yes, these are important factors - they are not the only criteria. I would def want my science-minded dtr to be taught from a Bible believing (Genesis) perspective. A nonscience major; it might not be so important.

And I was told (by my hsing friend) that Biola was one of the ones that taught required a statement of faith.

lisaj, not looking for controversy

Edited by 74Heaven
grrr another error

Point # 2 is true in my experience. I have researched many Christian colleges as it is very important to me that if my child goes to a Christian college that it does not teach evolution. The list by Answers in Genesis is not accurate. I have researched schools on that list that do teach evolution. I like Answers in Genesis very much, but don't think some of the schools are being entirely truthful. Liberty, Masters, Bryan, and Cedarville are solidly creationist. I can give you a little more info. if you want.

To add to your list for question #2, when I was looking at Christian colleges in general, Le Tourneau (TX) said they were Creationist on their website. It's been a while since I looked, so I don't know if they are 7 day Creationist only, or old earth, or up to the believer, but it shouldn't take long to look.

As for question #1, yes many Christian colleges are open to anyone figuring if a non-Christian were to come then they were seeking. Of course, it could mean that's what mom and dad will pay for too.

Covenant College (GA), where my son is going, requires a statement of faith and believes in Creation, but leaves the details (7 day, old earth, etc) up to the individual as long as they give God the credit.

Union U (TN) - his second choice, didn't require a statement of faith and I've no idea what their views on Creation are (this son isn't a science major and it simply never came up).

Calvin C (MI) - he applied and was accepted, but we never really considered it once I found out how liberal they were (other topics). I can't remember whether they required a statement of faith or not, but they are a theistic evolution only college - at least - in their science dept.

Statement #1

We was told by a private Christian college admissions counselor that there are only about 4 Christian schools on the West Coast that require students to sign a statement of faith to attend. (I am sure he did not mean seminaries or Bible colleges that only award Bible or theology degrees. And I am assuming such a statement is about adhering to Jesus' divinity and salvation by faith alone. I didn't ask about the statement.)

I do not doubt this, as most Christian schools that we have reviewed do not require the students to make a statement of faith.

Of more importance to us is whether the PROFESSORS are required to make a statement of faith in order to teach at the Christian school. We made it a standard question we wanted answered about each Christian school we considered. Unfortunately, many "Christian" schools do not require ANY statement of faith by their professors, or the statement of faith does not give any indication whether the professor is a Christian or not.

Statement #2

We also found this to be true. DD17 will be studying biochemistry (pre-med) and this question was important to us. We chose Geneva College and Liberty University as candidates partially based on their stance on Biblical creation. We were impressed by Geneva's professors when we visited last spring. We noticed they even had a running total on their Biology department bulletin board showing the running total of available cures using adult stem cells (78?) versus embryonic stem cells (0).

In the end, DD17 has decided to attend Liberty University in the fall. We will be visiting next week. I hope we like it, given that all the decisions have been pretty much made! :tongue_smilie:

To answer Nicole, yes, these are important factors - they are not the only criteria. I would def want my science-minded dtr to be taught from a Bible believing (Genesis) perspective. A nonscience major; it might not be so important.

And I was told (by my hsing friend) that Biola was one of the ones that taught required a statement of faith.

lisaj, not looking for controversy

{gently}

You may want to look at what requirements exist for graduate programs and/or potential employers in regards to scientific credentials before deciding on a solely creationist based perspective program for your science-minded daughter. It would be a pity for her to put her heart and soul into four years of work only to find that no one would take her coursework seriously simply because it was not the accepted norm for her field.

a

You may want to look at what requirements exist for graduate programs and/or potential employers in regards to scientific credentials before deciding on a solely creationist based perspective program for your science-minded daughter. It would be a pity for her to put her heart and soul into four years of work only to find that no one would take her coursework seriously simply because it was not the accepted norm for her field.
Ben Stein's movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed covers in some detail how this plays out in academia around the world today.

This was very informative (eye-opening, to say the least! :scared: ) and helpful. My two are 10th and 11th this year, and these are criteria important for me in judging a college, at least one that dares to claim the name of Christ.

Just remember that there are intelligent Christians who believe different ways about Creation - all based on the Bible. Part of the reason most colleges aren't "set in stone" about it is because they recognize the Biblical reasons and know that this is not a salvation issue. They respect the right of profs and students to believe as they feel led by God and based on the evidence as they interpret it.

I'm one that believes students should know a good bit about many interpretations since that's the way Christians in this world are. There are black and white issues in Christianity to me, but creation beliefs aren't one of them. This is the way many Christian colleges are. In pretty much all of them that we looked at, one main issue was that, no matter which way you believe, God gets the credit. That said, I was no more impressed with Calvin college and their "theistic evolution only" stance than others. But we rejected Calvin due to other liberal reasons that are of more importance to us in a Christian college. My son's not going into a science major, so it's no big deal, but I'm pleased with Covenant's stance that "God created and time frame and method is up to the individual believer. We respect all beliefs based on a Biblical interpretation."

Naturally, others can place more importance on this issue if it's a bigger concern to them (whichever direction they go from theistic evolution only to recent creation only). I was just attempting to explain why many colleges remain open on this issue and its appeal to many of us for them to do so - regardless of which way we believe.

There are black and white issues in Christianity to me, but creation beliefs aren't one of them.

As usual, I was more brief than clear, but the OP referred to students not being required to sight statements of faith, and another poster said in some 'Christian' colleges, the PROFESSORS don't even have to do so. This thread was about far more than the above quote, in my mind.

Just remember that there are intelligent Christians who believe different ways about Creation - all based on the Bible. Part of the reason most colleges aren't "set in stone" about it is because they recognize the Biblical reasons and know that this is not a salvation issue. They respect the right of profs and students to believe as they feel led by God and based on the evidence as they interpret it.

I'm one that believes students should know a good bit about many interpretations since that's the way Christians in this world are. There are black and white issues in Christianity to me, but creation beliefs aren't one of them. This is the way many Christian colleges are. In pretty much all of them that we looked at, one main issue was that, no matter which way you believe, God gets the credit. That said, I was no more impressed with Calvin college and their "theistic evolution only" stance than others. But we rejected Calvin due to other liberal reasons that are of more importance to us in a Christian college. My son's not going into a science major, so it's no big deal, but I'm pleased with Covenant's stance that "God created and time frame and method is up to the individual believer. We respect all beliefs based on a Biblical interpretation."

Naturally, others can place more importance on this issue if it's a bigger concern to them (whichever direction they go from theistic evolution only to recent creation only). I was just attempting to explain why many colleges remain open on this issue and its appeal to many of us for them to do so - regardless of which way we believe.

I think you and I would get along really well. I don't fit anywhere. This is exactly my philosophy. I remember being at Baylor and a girl yelling at me that if I didn't believe ina 7 day literal creation, then I couldn't believe in salvation. Baloney!!! I'm not sure what Baylor taught then as I never had to take a science class because I placed out. My dh was a Biology major. I'll have to ask him, but I think they were theistic evolution, but I don't know for sure. But my whole feeling is we can argue till we are blue in the face but no one really knows for sure!!! Who cares!!! Salvation matters.

Christine

As usual, I was more brief than clear, but the OP referred to students not being required to sight statements of faith, and another poster said in some 'Christian' colleges, the PROFESSORS don't even have to do so. This thread was about far more than the above quote, in my mind.

Gotcha! And yes, that fact boggled my mind as well... but it's entirely true. Covenant does require profs to sign a statement of faith - their faith also has to match their doctrine (PCA). We aren't of that denomination, but we found the school open to students of solid Christian beliefs that differed from theirs on non-salvation issues. I can understand their wanting all profs to agree with their denominational beliefs. It would REALLY bug me if their profs didn't have to believe in, well, anything!

I think you and I would get along really well. I don't fit anywhere. This is exactly my philosophy... But my whole feeling is we can argue till we are blue in the face but no one really knows for sure!!! Who cares!!! Salvation matters.

Christine

:iagree: Sometimes I really feel I don't fit in anywhere too. I'm not far right. I'm certainly not left (often). But I do love my Lord and my God and trust His word for leading my life. If my son is going to a Christian college, I like for his profs to do the same and enjoy the study of the Bible and how it applies to life, but without condemnation for those that come to differing conclusions (still based on the Bible). Once beliefs are not based on the Bible or the Bible is lessened as the standard, then I have issues. Certain issues ARE a dealbreaker for me with Christian colleges and many of those on the list I made didn't make the cut for us. (They might for others though, who knows?)

I'd recommend that if you really want some nitty gritty knowledge of what's being taught in a particular college, you do some digging in the catalog, degree requirements, and bookstore.

You can download the catalog (or sometimes access it online) and degree requirements. With that in hand, you'll be able to discern which courses deal with worldview, such as Bible, theology, philosophy, English, and biology (this is not an exhaustive list!). Then go to the bookstore and check out what's required for those classes in which you are interested. If there are several sections offered by different professors, look at each one.

Also, read the blurb at the beginning of each department in the catalog, the course descriptions, and especially the college's mission statement. Look at the short bios of professors and where they went to school. And finally, read the student materials, such as the handbook (sometimes called something else), often found in "student life."

This can be a very eye-opening experience! If you do this, you will have a pretty good feel for a school.

HTH,

GardenMom

I work at a conservative Christian university and am finishing up my 11th year. Our hiring process is such that by the time your are hired they know that you are a believer but signing a statement of faith was not required. It is required that you attend one of the churches in our movement though unless you have received special permission from our president. Our student admissions requires an essay describing your personal faith journey and extensive letters of reference including your minister and a church leader. So, keep in mind there are other methods of assuring professor and student belief than signing a statement of faith.

An earlier post recommended looking at the campus bookstore to see what types of books are being used in courses. While that is very helpful, many colleges no longer carry their texts in the bookstore. For example, our college in the past has always kept texts behind the desk and obtained the books for students rather than have students locate the items they needed. It is my understanding that this decision was mainly a space consideration issue. However, beginning in the fall, our course textbooks are going to be availablae through an on-line distributor with whom we are contracting. I can tell you that all of our Bible and theology texts are published by Zondervan, Baker, and IVP. Science, psychology, sociology, and other texts are more likely from major textbook publishers with supplemental texts from Christian publishers.