Menu

How to add my own lessons to a pre-packaged curriculum

Hello all of you wonderful people!

I would love to add some of my own lessons to the pre-packaged curriculum that I will be getting. Where I'm buying the curriculum from, they keep records and transcripts and report cards etc. So the problem is, I need to send them in all the dated work every 6 weeks and so how could I skip a pre-planned lesson from them just to do my own? Could I do two pre-planned lessons in one day and the next day do my own?

Anyone else done this? Any advice is welcome. Thank you so much.

God bless!:D

Hello all of you wonderful people!

I would love to add some of my own lessons to the pre-packaged curriculum that I will be getting. Where I'm buying the curriculum from, they keep records and transcripts and report cards etc. So the problem is, I need to send them in all the dated work every 6 weeks and so how could I skip a pre-planned lesson from them just to do my own? Could I do two pre-planned lessons in one day and the next day do my own?

Anyone else done this? Any advice is welcome. Thank you so much.

God bless!:D

You should probably talk to someone at the company you're getting your materials from and see what they have to say about it.

We've never done the graded materials, so I'm not sure how that would work. We order what we want to use, then pick and choose what works for the child. We add in lots of stuff, and take out some. We expand on what's there, and have often gone off on tangents when something of particular interest came up. However, I do the grading and make the transcript, so I know where we're going and what we're doing with our studies and can assign the grade.

I'm hoping the person you talk with at the company is flexible, and allows you the freedom to explore a little more!

What kinds of studies do you want to explore, outside of the packaged curriculum? Can you add your own reading list? Do you have areas in science or history you want to explore?

My dc don't add "lessons" per se to their curriculum, but they sure do pursue lots of their own interests. They read outside of what's required (especially in the summer). One is writing a novel (his own doing entirely) and so has attended several writing workshops and read several writing books on his own time. My oldest loved natural science and aquaculture and regularly explored, caught & raised critters. Another of mine loves to sew and is teaching herself to design and sew (with a bit of outside help) in all of her spare moments. Lots of mornings, she wakes us very early to sew.

All of that to say, do not feel hemmed in by your curriculum! There are lots of ways to pursue your interests without them becoming formal lesson plans. They may become extracurrciular projects or hobbies or volunteer work, but even if they don't, you can "make your own lessons" by reading about and exploring your own interests.

Does that help at all? I hope so.

One thing I hope you find in homeschooling is that you will have an efficiency of time over brick and mortar schools that will allow you some margin to do your own thing. You have two years! The world is your oyster. :)

Lisa

What kinds of studies do you want to explore, outside of the packaged curriculum? Can you add your own reading list? Do you have areas in science or history you want to explore?

My dc don't add "lessons" per se to their curriculum, but they sure do pursue lots of their own interests. They read outside of what's required (especially in the summer). One is writing a novel (his own doing entirely) and so has attended several writing workshops and read several writing books on his own time. My oldest loved natural science and aquaculture and regularly explored, caught & raised critters. Another of mine loves to sew and is teaching herself to design and sew (with a bit of outside help) in all of her spare moments. Lots of mornings, she wakes us very early to sew.

All of that to say, do not feel hemmed in by your curriculum! There are lots of ways to pursue your interests without them becoming formal lesson plans. They may become extracurrciular projects or hobbies or volunteer work, but even if they don't, you can "make your own lessons" by reading about and exploring your own interests.

Does that help at all? I hope so.

One thing I hope you find in homeschooling is that you will have an efficiency of time over brick and mortar schools that will allow you some margin to do your own thing. You have two years! The world is your oyster. :)

Lisa

:iagree: Yes, she said it way better than I did, but that's what I meant by what my kids do! :001_smile:

You both did a wonderful job of explaining this to me.

I do plan on volunteering at an animal shelter. I also knit and am in the process of knitting a tote bag.

I devour books, night and day. I read all the time, anywhere and everywhere, especially at school so I don't have to think about the kids there.

You sound like my daughter! She and I started volunteering at our local Humane Society in August of last year, so about 8 months ago. She knows how to knit and crochet, and also does some sewing. She and a friend started their own kids program, and were picked by the local Mental Health Services to help raise funds for a playground for autistic children. It's a $30,000. project, and they've raised about $12,000 so far. They just got a lady from a civic group interested and the girls did a presentation for their group. They have a meeting tomorrow with another lady representing another civic group, so it's really working out well. I think this kind of opportunity far surpasses book learning! :) So if you have a chance to work with things like that, you'll learn a lot, have great experiences, and it DOES look good listed with your transcript!

My dd also reads a LOT! From what it seems you're experienceing in school, I am so glad that my dd has always been homeschooled so she hasn't had to deal with some of that stuff!

I'm glad your parents are listening, and willing to let you homeschool! Keep asking questions! Keep us updated on how you're doing!

Edited by Brindee

You both did a wonderful job of explaining this to me.

I do plan on volunteering at an animal shelter. I also knit and am in the process of knitting a tote bag.

I devour books, night and day. I read all the time, anywhere and everywhere, especially at school so I don't have to think about the kids there.

Good job! Make sure you keep track of all of your volunteer hours for future scholarship opportunities, as well as college apps. You can even turn knitting into volunteer work by donating your products to charity sale shops or nursing homes or hospitals. And, also, make a list of all of the books you have read. You may or may not need it for college apps, but better to keep the info now if you need it down the road.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Thank you all.

I will keep you updated. We're actually awaiting approval now form the School Department but I have talked to the woman before and she says she is impressed that I am doing this and she is 99% sure I will get approved.

Only problem is, she knows NOTHING about homeschooling. But she seems willing enough to be taught so I plan on informing her of little things she may not know.

Thanks again and God bless!

Thank you all.

I will keep you updated. We're actually awaiting approval now form the School Department but I have talked to the woman before and she says she is impressed that I am doing this and she is 99% sure I will get approved.

Only problem is, she knows NOTHING about homeschooling. But she seems willing enough to be taught so I plan on informing her of little things she may not know.

Thanks again and God bless!

Maybe this site would overwhelm her, but you could refer this site to her so she sees where you're getting some of your info., and can read up on some things on her own! :001_smile: