Menu

Friend looking for secular curriculum-suggestions?

I have a friend who is considering homeschooling and wanted my advice on how to get started. She is not a christian and is not interested in things like MFW, TOG, HOD, SL.... which is all the stuff I have used and am familiar with. I tried researching stuff online but I am not really having much luck. Do you guys know of anything out there that is not christian and yet still based on living books?

Thanks Amy

Guest Cindie2dds

Oak Meadow! :D

ETA: She could also easily use Ambleside Online. All she would have to leave out is Bible and Church History.

Here are most of what we have used, or will use:

Singapore

Life of Fred

Handwriting Without Tears

Growing With Grammar

Spelling Workout

Writing With Ease

Story of the World There is a secular SOTW yahoo group Organized Chronologically

History Odyssey Organized Geographically

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Has grammar stage Life, Earth and Space, and now Chemistry (they are working on Physics)

There is a Secular WTM yahoo group

Oak Meadow! :D

ETA: She could also easily use Ambleside Online. All she would have to leave out is Bible and Church History.

Some of the books you would have to change up too. There is a secular AO yahoo group, as well as some secular CM groups you could check into. I know the AO group has secular book list for each grade level.

I will add Noeo. Even though it is a Christian company, I don't think they have anything about creationism or itelligent design in their curriculum. One could just add a book or books about evolution to the biology curriculum if they wanted to (my current plan, though I haven't decided on any particular book(s) on evolution yet).

Also, your friend can go to www.secularhomeschool.com

There is

K12

Calvert

Oakmeadow

Laurel Springs School

Living Books Curriculum ( can be made secular by skipping the Bible Study)

Sonlight can be made secular as well. There is a yahoo group for secular Sonlighters

North American Montessori Curriculum

Progress Academy

Veritas Press can be made secular by not purchasing the Bible portion of the program.

Well Trained Mind

There are also seperate subject programs as well

Singapore

Saxon

Writing With Ease

First Language Lessons

Writing Tales

and more...