Menu

If teaching German at home, what are you using?

Osmosis Mom

You know...I have a minor in Germanic Studies...my daughter also wants to learn German and I can NOT find a program that looks OK to me...

Well, Rosetta Stone is probably good...I'm looking at K12's German course...that's probably fine also.

If you find something, let us know! We're still lookin' around too!

If you do a search in the bilingual forum you'll see some threads as well.

I'm using Das Neue Deustchmobil and a hodge podge of stuff I pick up.

I contacted a German Saturday school in my state, and they are sending me books they use for me to look through. Maybe you could contact a school?

I can post back when I get the package from them.

There are several books used together. The teacher book, student textbook, and student workbook. You can also get the test book and vocabulary book. Everything is in German because these are books used in Germany to teach German to kids whose mother language is not German. So it is assumed the teacher speaks German.

My biggest problem is that is not as open and go like everything else I use in our school day. I'm lazy. ;)

Rosetta Stone version THREE - which has the speaking assessments/tools. Pricy, but we'll be using it for five kids.

I've looked/tried other curriculums, but that has been the best because it incorporates so many things - learning, listening, speaking, reading, spelling, writing, phrases...and is independent learning unless they really get stuck on something.

We also have some supplementary kids books we picked up at flea markets in Germany, but only a few, we'd love some more. I can't find a decent priced place to pick up any more in the states. I can find ebay.de sellers who are willing to ship them, but shipping from Germany is also very pricy and a lot of sellers say no, so it's been a lot of work that way.

Could you tell us about Das neue Deutschmobil? Is it a textbook program? Is it any good? Is it expensive?

This is what my dds' Saturday School uses - but it is all in German - including the instructions, and I'd think all the associated teacher materials as well. If the teacher did not speak German, it would be next to impossible to use.

Rosetta Stone version THREE - which has the speaking assessments/tools. Pricy, but we'll be using it for five kids.

I've looked/tried other curriculums, but that has been the best because it incorporates so many things - learning, listening, speaking, reading, spelling, writing, phrases...and is independent learning unless they really get stuck on something.

We also have some supplementary kids books we picked up at flea markets in Germany, but only a few, we'd love some more. I can't find a decent priced place to pick up any more in the states. I can find ebay.de sellers who are willing to ship them, but shipping from Germany is also very pricy and a lot of sellers say no, so it's been a lot of work that way.

Have you ever looked at Alphabet Garten?

You know...I have a minor in Germanic Studies...my daughter also wants to learn German and I can NOT find a program that looks OK to me...

Well, Rosetta Stone is probably good...I'm looking at K12's German course...that's probably fine also.

If you find something, let us know! We're still lookin' around too!

If you are looking for German textbooks, you should probably take a look at www.continentalbook.com. They have a pretty extensive collection.

If you are looking for German textbooks, you should probably take a look at www.continentalbook.com. They have a pretty extensive collection.

Just a word of warning - virtually all those texts are European - meaning they are all in German, like Das Neue Deutschmobil - which are fine if the teacher speaks German, but not so much otherwise. The only ones that aren't are listed under "American Publications" - and those look pretty lame. Seems there's not a lot of choice out there of German texts where it's not assumed there's a fluent teacher.

We've done a few years with Rosetta Stone. For next year, I'm going to try Das ist Deutsch with my 10yo.

A textbook mentioned by someone here a few years ago that caught my attentions was German is Fun, available through AMSCO. To see it, you need to click on Price List & Book Information, then use the pull down menu to select German. Purchasing it seemed complicated, so looking is all I've done so far.

We did an order from Amazon.de for Christmas one year. The shipping wasn't a bargain, but it wasn't outrageous either, especially given how many things we ordered. Plus they are able to take a credit card, which since we don't do Paypal and can't pay via Ueberweisung, sort of rules out Ebay.

I used to order through IBIS (International Book Import Service) back in pre-internet days. I was quite pleased with their service and prices at the time (much lower prices than my college bookstore). You could use Amazon.de to search for the books you want and then order them using the ISBN through IBIS.

Just a word of warning - virtually all those texts are European - meaning they are all in German, like Das Neue Deutschmobil - which are fine if the teacher speaks German, but not so much otherwise. The only ones that aren't are listed under "American Publications" - and those look pretty lame. Seems there's not a lot of choice out there of German texts where it's not assumed there's a fluent teacher.

Thanks! I am going to spend some time looking at these. I had years and years of German in school, so I should be OK. But, bummer that there isn't something written for English-speaking teachers.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links! You are all awesome!! :001_smile:

We've done a few years with Rosetta Stone. For next year, I'm going to try Das ist Deutsch with my 10yo.

A textbook mentioned by someone here a few years ago that caught my attentions was German is Fun, available through AMSCO. To see it, you need to click on Price List & Book Information, then use the pull down menu to select German. Purchasing it seemed complicated, so looking is all I've done so far.

You can buy German is Fun through Amazon. I use that book to teach (I didn't choose it - it's not appropriate for adults IMO).

You can buy German is Fun through Amazon. I use that book to teach (I didn't choose it - it's not appropriate for adults IMO).

I noticed that at Continental Books, and Amazon sells it too. No one has any samples, though! But wow, it's much cheaper from the publisher ($15 vs. $25) - what's up with that? Curious what's on those outrageously expensive CDs that come with it - but hey, they're much cheaper from the publisher too. Odd - usually the publisher sells at full retail and other places discount. Maybe that's some kind of wholesale? - but it does say they'll sell to homeschoolers. It's got mixed reviews at Amazon, but having never seen it, can't comment.

I remember using Amsco books - mostly the supplemental grammar ones - when I was in high school and liking them. The Practice Makes Perfect series also has great supplemental books (grammar, verbs, vocab) - I'm using a couple of their titles for both Spanish and German. Those books would probably make a good supplement to a program like Rosetta.

Looks like Amsco also sells a series called Grundlage Deutsch - again no samples, but that could be interesting? At $9.50 might be worth just getting to look at...

I just went through some of the foreign language teacher catalogs that I have in my house. You may want to see if you can get a copy of Alles Gute: a German Course for Television that was put out by the Goethe Institute. There were about 6 videos produced (for 26 lessons in all), plus a companion guide.

This website www.deutsche-kultur-international.de/en/themen/the-german-language/lehr-und-lernmaterial.html also list some other video courses, some of which are meant for children

Edited by Shifra

Thanks! I am going to spend some time looking at these. I had years and years of German in school, so I should be OK. But, bummer that there isn't something written for English-speaking teachers.

I know a lot of people here are using Das Neue Deutschmobil. Like I said, my kids' school uses it, but I don't have to do much with it but help with their homework. The students just have the text and workbook, but the school has tons of supplemental material - tests, extra worksheets, that appear to be coordinated with the program, and they also add tons of other supplemental worksheets they get from heavens knows where. Looks like Continental books does sell the supplementary material - tests, teacher's guide (that's where the answers must be) and a vocabulary book.

Maybe some other at-home users can share if they find all the supplementary stuff necessary/helpful, as that does add a lot to the cost.

Looks like Amsco also sells a series called Grundlage Deutsch - again no samples, but that could be interesting? At $9.50 might be worth just getting to look at...

If you do get it to look at, you know you have to post back with a report, right? :bigear:

If you do get it to look at, you know you have to post back with a report, right? :bigear:

:D Sorry, you guys are on your own ordering that one - the Sat. School ist taking care of all our German curric. needs. :)

If it's any good, though (or the German is Fun variant), I'd love to hear - my mom is rather desperately looking for something to use with my 11yo nephew, who she's attempting to tutor once a week. She just got some friends from the UK to bring her over a copy of that Kleinbrücken software - I'll have to let y'all know how that ends up working out.

German is Fun is extremely outdated (nearly 20 years old). It is geared for high school students though. I think the order that it teaches topics is a little skewed (days of the week and month not until Ch. 15, for example). It doesn't really teach grammar as opposed to leading the student to discover it, which your child may or may not like. The exercises are very tedious but good practice. I haven't seen German in 10 Minutes a Day, but I have seen the Spanish version and like it, so that's another inexpensive option.

My daughter is going to a small homeschool class and the teacher uses Der Grune Max (by Langenscheidt). It is all in German so you have to have some basic knowledge of the language in order to teach it. It comes with a teacher's book, a student workbook and a CD. She enjoys it. We have also been using Tell Me More Auralog which works well to supplement. I've also heard that German Online at Oklahoma State University is good. German I through IV is supposed to be designed for high school students and it has many wonderful recommendations on the high school boards. We're going to give it a try next year!

Hi, Nadia! good to see you pop up now and then! Anyway, dd is using this program and she is quite pleased with it. I think she's learned a lot, but we also have Tell Me More and I'm going to have her use it next year as well. She is almost through the first year and she can have "baby" conversations with our German neighbors and at the store. She's just about done with German I and ready to move on to German II.

Just beware that German is a difficult language! Lots of cases and endings depending on what's happening! However, I was told that she could use it for 6 weeks or so to see if she liked it, then she could continue or decide to drop it. Sabine, who teaches the course, is very approachable and nice on the phone, so you could ask her about that. I think it's about $425 or so. I've been billed $250 but I'm thinking I'll be billed at the end of the year as well.

Hope things are going well with you and your family! We haven't made a trip to DK yet--possibly this summer.

Jeri

Hi, Nadia! good to see you pop up now and then! Anyway, dd is using this program and she is quite pleased with it. I think she's learned a lot, but we also have Tell Me More and I'm going to have her use it next year as well. She is almost through the first year and she can have "baby" conversations with our German neighbors and at the store. She's just about done with German I and ready to move on to German II.

Just beware that German is a difficult language! Lots of cases and endings depending on what's happening! However, I was told that she could use it for 6 weeks or so to see if she liked it, then she could continue or decide to drop it. Sabine, who teaches the course, is very approachable and nice on the phone, so you could ask her about that. I think it's about $425 or so. I've been billed $250 but I'm thinking I'll be billed at the end of the year as well.

Hope things are going well with you and your family! We haven't made a trip to DK yet--possibly this summer.

Jeri

Hi Jeri,

It's nice to hear a 7th grader is using it. We're trying it next year and my daughter will be in the 6th grade. I think she'll be fine because she's already familiar with cases and ending from her other languages, but there's always some trepidation. Do you get a weekly call from the teacher and does she try to speak mostly German with your dd? I think it's $389 per course up to German IV and the higher price is for the AP course. Auf wiedersehen!

Jeri

Hey Jeri,

I do follow your posts when I stumble upon them. Always great to hear your news!

I actually did speak German 300 years ago (as do all Danes btw) so I am a bit familiar with the language. My teacher used to say that while you have to memorize a *few* rules at first, then the langugage follow strict grammaticaal rules (as opposed to French and English!!).

My ds almost 12 is highly motivated to learn the language since he wants to get into the car-business apparently and to him German is the way way to go. It would be nice to have an online class to engage him more, but perhaps I'd let him try K12's class (or summer course) first before investing in OK's due to the price difference.

Thanks everyone for your great input. Seems a lot have been looking around.

Don't know if this will help because what I don't know about German would fill this thread! But I do have my 6th grader working through German in 10 Minutes a Day. The CDs are clear and easy to follow and the program uses several different voices, male and female, from different areas in Germany/Austria. My goal for this daughter has been to have her spend about 20m a day listening and memorizing and it has worked well! No, she is not really learning German - she is learning how German sounds and a lot of vocabulary and phrases. It fit within the budget I had for this year (my oldest started college :glare:) and it gave her some exposure.

I have been looking at the Potter's School 7th/8th grade German but I do not think that she is mature enough yet for an online class. I have loved the OSU program for my older daughter but I don't think that my 11yo will be ready for it before 9th grade. I am considering a weekly class at the German/American school, or maybe a tutor from the German dept at our local college....and all my considerations are (sadly) based on my budget! We're committed to a certain amount for college for our oldest, we want to give our next daughter certain classes/opportunities for her senior year (like her OSU class), we have regular math and history type stuff to buy and we are also looking at music lessons and continuing their art classes....German for 7th grade is not that high up on the budget list :confused:

Gee -this was supposed to about German but ended up being about my budget!