Menu

Help. Dog just ate Claritin

As I was putting my exhausted dc to bed (we've just returned from the Midwest conference and didn't sleep much), one of our dogs got into dd's Claritin. It looks like Claritin is actually prescribed for dogs, and that he only ate two 1/2 tablets. The last thing I want to do right now is wake up the kids (dh is out of town) and drag them to an emergency vet's. Any advice? I'm planning on doing a vigil for the next couple of hours just in case.

Laura

Not a vet here, but I'll speculate that your dog will be fine if it is safe to compare Claritin with Benadryl, another OTC used for allergies. Our vet has told us to give the beagle Benadryl when her wheezing waxes strong.

Hope your dog fares well ! I'm optimistic.

JudoMom, I just called the 24 hour vet (40 mins from my house) and they told me to call animal poison control, which charges $65. I might try another vet further away.

Thanks Orthodox and Rebecca. I was hoping to find a list online of possible symptoms in case the dosage was too much, but the only thing I saw was about cats who might sleep too much if there dosage was too high. Both of my dogs are sleeping however (after a rough time of having us away and having a pet sitter), so not much help there.

Laura

JudoMom, I just called the 24 hour vet (40 mins from my house) and they told me to call animal poison control, which charges $65. I might try another vet further away.

Thanks Orthodox and Rebecca. I was hoping to find a list online of possible symptoms in case the dosage was too much, but the only thing I saw was about cats who might sleep too much if there dosage was too high. Both of my dogs are sleeping however (after a rough time of having us away and having a pet sitter), so not much help there.

Laura

Isn't there a free poison control line? I've called ours before about my dog. I didn't know there was a separate animal poison control.

Perry, I thought that was limited to people. Maybe if I can't find any more answers I'll try that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Laura

I called several times about my dog. Twice they told me what she'd eaten was safe and not going to harm her. (Once it was terro ant bait, and once it was some type of plant.) The third time, when she'd eaten a couple 4th of July sparklers, they told me they were quite toxic and to call the vet.

So my understanding is that they can tell you whether or not something is poisonous, but if it is, they refer you to the vet.

They were always very helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly.

He should be fine. My brothers dog took claritin, my dog has taken benedryl and I have heard of dogs taking zyrtec. Claritin is a low drowsiness med so it takes a much higher dosage to make people (or dogs I would guess sleepy). That is the number one side effect so I wouldn't worry terribly. I think he would be fine. You could try to post on the vet social board and maybe Sophie will answer.

• 11 years later...