Menu

Thinking of ditching TT algebra--for what? Methodical learner...

My high school ds is working his way through TT Alg. 1 and although he's doing well, I don't think it's *enough* for him and I don't feel confident that it's giving him the solid foundation in algebra that he needs. He is behind "grade level" due to some family circumstances that set our schooling back, but he is working hard and needs something solid, not too advanced.

What do you suggest for something with a little more oomph than TT, but not overwhelming, that he can do mostly on his own? I don't mind trying to brush up on my algebra skills but he is surpassing my abilities quickly here and I have 5 younger kiddos to teach as well. We used Singapore PM up until Pre-Algebra.

Foerster's was my first thought because it has the Home Companion CD...?

Saxon is all we've used at the high school level. Dd does it on her own.

Some moms here say it's not very challenging, so maybe it would be in between TT and say Foerster's or Dolciani? Most say it is solid, if not creative.

Good luck finding something!

I'm in the same boat with my son. I think I am going to try to stick with TT but supplement. Teaching Company has Algebra 1 on sale until tomorrow night, so I just ordered this to help me and probably him too. I think I ought to learn algebra a bit better anyways since I have 5 youngers I'm going to find myself in this position with soon enough! Anyways, this is what I am planning. Hope that helps. Here is the link to the DVD from the Teaching Company.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1001&ai=43351&cm_mmc=email-_-EMAIL04102010DVDAct_43340-_-na-_-na

You might take a look at Kinetic Books Algebra I. There is a pretty extensive demo on their website and you can get a free trial to try it out. It's all done on the computer, so it's pretty independent. There is an online homework package available as well (for an additional cost), which does the grading.

I haven't used the Alg I, but I have a beta copy of their Prealgebra program and IMO it seems much meatier than TT Prealgebra.

Jackie

I like Kinetic Books for Algebra I. It is definitely good for independent learners. Most of the problems have immediate feedback and even have stepped help (so they step you through to the solution).

The only negative for KB is that you don't get a solution manual for the end-of-unit problems. There is an answer key for the odds and doing just the odds is plenty.

My oldest used the beta version of KB Algebra II. My middle used KB Algebra I. She is looking forward to starting KB Algebra II next month.

Wellll, if your son is behind and doing well in TT, why would you switch? Whatever you switch to may not work well for HIM! Is it just you that is unsure? If he is doing well, and keeps moving forward, why mess with what's working? The grass is always greener, but to switch things up when your child is doing well just may not work well for him!

You can find negative things said about every single program out there! There are some kids that do wonderfully with one program, while others can't stand it! However, if your child "gets it" and moves forward fine, I'd stick with the program that's working! If you continue on through TT he WILL get a solid foundation! There are scores of success stories with higher level maths, and good or great SAT scores, after using TT maths, so, as I said, if you stick with the program, he'll get what he needs!

If you said he hated it and complained about it all the time, and was frustrated daily, I'd say, "Good idea, move on to something else that will not be so frustrating for him!" But that's not the case, so my vote is to stick with TT!

Wellll, if your son is behind and doing well in TT, why would you switch? Whatever you switch to may not work well for HIM! Is it just you that is unsure? If he is doing well, and keeps moving forward, why mess with what's working? The grass is always greener, but to switch things up when your child is doing well just may not work well for him!

You can find negative things said about every single program out there! There are some kids that do wonderfully with one program, while others can't stand it! However, if your child "gets it" and moves forward fine, I'd stick with the program that's working! If you continue on through TT he WILL get a solid foundation! There are scores of success stories with higher level maths, and good or great SAT scores, after using TT maths, so, as I said, if you stick with the program, he'll get what he needs!

If you said he hated it and complained about it all the time, and was frustrated daily, I'd say, "Good idea, move on to something else that will not be so frustrating for him!" But that's not the case, so my vote is to stick with TT!

I was just thinking this too. The grass is always greener.....

And since you are a little behind, starting over with another program is only going to put you a little more behind. I say stick with it, if you want a little more supplementing then do that but I wouldn't fix something that isn't broken. :)

:iagree: Why not just supplement with something like ALEKS?

I guess you're right that it is more ME than him...he wouldn't know if TT isn't enough for him! LOL Ds is a good student but it just takes a while for concepts to stick. He's a hard worker, though, and wants to go into IT or another computer-related field. (Before, he thought maybe engineering, oy!) So I want him to be prepared for any college level math--that is my main concern. That, and the SAT! lol

We actually supplement with ALEKS when we can afford a few months during the year--this year it will probably be over the summer while we do some part-time homeschooling. I think I'm just second-guessing the greatness of TT more than anything. :D

Why not just have him keep going with TT, supplement as needed, and have him work on it through the summers, too? He could "catch up" that way, both in terms of courses covered and also in allowing him to go through the whole TT sequence before he graduates. Depending on how well he retains it and what he studies in college, he may still need to take a remedial class or two, but it would likely be less than if you jumped ship to a whole new program that might or might not work for him.

He's a hard worker, though, and wants to go into IT or another computer-related field. (Before, he thought maybe engineering, oy!) So I want him to be prepared for any college level math--that is my main concern. That, and the SAT!

Just be aware that some topics that other programs cover in Alg I are covered in TT Alg II, and some Alg II topics are covered in TT PreCalculus, so ideally you'd want your DS to get through at least the first half of TT Alg II before the SATs, and TT Precalculus before finishing HS.

Jackie

I wouldn't switch either, especially since he seems to be doing well. If you feel he needs to add something maybe you could do ALEKS. We use it as a supplement and my kids love it. I feel it reinforces what they are learning.

God bless,

Vicki