Menu

60s theme party

Tentative plan for mil's 60th bday coming up this yr. What do I need to know/plan/do? Big family, lots of friends, very hippie. All of them the type to really get into dressing up, drinking, singing. All of them much more "fun" people than me, so an intimidating task. Ideas?

I thought disco balls were a 70s thing :o

I think it sounds like a blast!

ETA: As to ideas...karaoke sounds like it would be a good fit for the crowd you're describing. Learn some of the dances, and have a dance contest...a best dressed contest...

Edited by Impish

We're having a Beatles revival at this house. Ds recommends, "cranking out the Beatles all night". :) Look for the fun and cheap decorations at the Oriental Trading Company. Look for 60s music and do a playlist on YouTube. The videos will give you some ideas for how to dress as well. Have fun. Your guests are going to be silly!

I'd make brownies. Just plain old boring regular brownies, but if you walk around with them on a plate and offer some brownie 'happiness' I'm sure people will have fun reminiscing.;)

DS, "Mom, I don't get it. What's with the brownies?"

DH, " Everybody liked brownies. You know chocolate."

:lol:

ETA: As to ideas...karaoke sounds like it would be a good fit for the crowd you're describing. Learn some of the dances, and have a dance contest...a best dressed contest...

All of mil's friends met working as singers at a playhouse in Austin back in the 70s. I suggested karaoke to dh, & he laughed. He thinks they'll want to do something like a full band w/ Wii Guitar Hero Band or whatever that is. I don't know *anything* about that, but I do know they suggested karaoke for our wedding, LOL.

Iow, singing is a BIG deal. :D

I'd make brownies. Just plain old boring regular brownies, but if you walk around with them on a plate and offer some brownie 'happiness' I'm sure people will have fun reminiscing.;)

Ohmygosh--that's BRILLIANT!!!

One of mil's favorite stories is of taking her mother w/ her somewhere, & her mom got a brownie. She couldn't figure out how to stop her. Dm said she was old enough to eat a brownie (or something like that). And mil said, "Umm...no, Mom, these are..."special" brownies..."

Dm said, "Mmmmm....they sure ARE special!" :lol:

We're having a Beatles revival at this house. Ds recommends, "cranking out the Beatles all night". :) Look for the fun and cheap decorations at the Oriental Trading Company. Look for 60s music and do a playlist on YouTube. The videos will give you some ideas for how to dress as well. Have fun. Your guests are going to be silly!

Dh's bf is dj'ing for parties lately, so I'm sort-of thinking of asking him.

Oriental Trading co is brilliant. Darn, I just recycled their catalog, though. :D (I know I can do it online, but it's so hard for me to recycle catalogs, to then have a reason to look at it kills me. But it was mostly full of foam resurrection stuff.)