Menu

Please tell me about KISS Grammar

TracyP

I have seen KISS mentioned before but haven't paid much attention. I actually looked at it this morning and thought it looked like exactly what I would love to create for my kids if I ever had the time.:tongue_smilie: Has anyone used this? Is it as good as it looks? What does a day/week look like: read story day 1, exercise 1 on next day, etc.? Any dislikes?

If you do a search for it, you'll find several threads on it. We are going to be using the 2nd grade workbook next year, so I can't really answer your questions yet :)!

I tried a search but most posts were a year old. I was hoping for some new info.;) I see your child is 7. My dd will be 7 in Sept. Do you think it might be a little much for her next year?

I am starting my 3rd grader to be next year (he will be 8). I found a lot of help here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/grammar.shtml -- this idea appeals to me:

I was asked some time ago to elaborate on how we used the KISS grammar program. I had to put this on the back burner, and subsequently lost the email. My apologies! I'll describe what we did briefly, and I hope this helps those who inquired. Again, I am sorry about the delay.

Last year we did the "prepositions" lessons, outlined for grade 3. I taught my children what prepositions are in this way. Prepositions are words that show relationship between two things. I have the children stand in the middle of the room. Where are you in relation to the celing? Under the ceiling. In relation to the floor? On the floor. In relation to the walls? Between the walls. In relation to your sister? Beside my sister.

I wrote down all the words we came up with, then discussed a few others, especially "with," which is a common preposition. I asked my children to make up sentences in this way: Where is Katherine in relation to the couch? I asked them to identify the preposition they used, and we wrote down a few more on the list.

After they understood what a preposition was, I explained phrases the way KISS explains them: a prepositional phrase is the preposition, plus whatever answers the question "whom or what?"

Now we started looking for prepositional phrases in books. I would read a sentence, and the children would try to find all the prepositional phrases in that sentence. We just did one or two sentences at a time.

And that's about it! This all took place across the span of many weeks. We used the list to remind us of prepositions, and after a while, they got excited about finding a new one to add. I suppose we didn't spend more then 3 or 4 hours total on this "grammar" for the year, but I hope it was enough for them to be ready to move onto the next part this year!

She also says they spend ~ 5min. on grammar daily, but its effective and adds up. KISS just meshes with the way I view grammar. I was going to try once a week as in LCC, but now I'm leaning towards a little everyday (probably 1/2 a page). I think the hunting aspect will appeal to DS.

HTH and that someone who has actually used it will chime in.

I tried a search but most posts were a year old. I was hoping for some new info.;) I see your child is 7. My dd will be 7 in Sept. Do you think it might be a little much for her next year?

I think it depends on your child, it's certainly worth trying. Our plan was to start KISS this past year, but we got alittle sidetracked. Everything I've read says that it's best to start with the 2nd grade workbook no matter your child's age, so that's what we are starting with. Hope that helps!

We tried it with my 3rd grader this year and while I thought I'd like it...it gets right into complements which ds had a hard time grasping consistently. We felt like we weren't making any progress and switched to Easy Grammar a third of the way through...things have gone much better since. EG has you learn the prepositions first so you can cross them out immediately. Brownie

I am using KISS along with Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons for my second grader. I consider PLL our primary curriculum and KISS our secondary. I basically use KISS as practice sheets, which is probably not how the program is intended to be used, but I find the site such a PITA to try to navigate that KISS has been relegated to "supplement" for us.

In third grade (actually, in a few weeks, because we are almost done with PLL) we will switch to FLL 3, and I may or may not continue with KISS.

Tara

I printed a portion of the 2nd gr. workbook. There are 237 pages total in that workbook! OMGoodness that will cost a bunch to print. But, I figure if we just print a little at a time, we should be fine. So, what do you think isn't "right" about it? I agree the site was a PITA to navigate, but once I found the 2nd gr. book, I just printed like 25 pgs. and was good to go. I figure I can teach the basics w/out much help.

I printed a portion of the 2nd gr. workbook. There are 237 pages total in that workbook! OMGoodness that will cost a bunch to print. But, I figure if we just print a little at a time, we should be fine. So, what do you think isn't "right" about it? I agree the site was a PITA to navigate, but once I found the 2nd gr. book, I just printed like 25 pgs. and was good to go. I figure I can teach the basics w/out much help.

Well, years ago I decided against it as well. What a website, but the notebooks now make it much more accessible, I agree. This time, I think it’s all the complement work that is bothering me. I am not sure. It seems like a lot to throw at younger kids and I am not used to that way of teaching. But maybe we could try it; it wouldn’t hurt to actually see how it goes. It looks very good.

Yes, for a free program, it’s expensive. I have to pay through the nose for color cartridges and so the color disappoints me; I’m sure my kids would like it.

Oh, and now I want to use MCT as a supplement to OM. If I can afford it, it looks like fun and it’s light but deep, plus I can combine my second grader and my fourth grader, which is always nice. (well, I hope so, they do fight like cats and dogs):001_huh:

:lol:

Please keep me updated on your progress!

This time, I think it’s all the complement work that is bothering me. I am not sure. It seems like a lot to throw at younger kids

It's a bit confusing for my dd sometimes (actually, the verb phrases are more confusing for her, such as "would not like to go") but I do like that she is being challenged to think about how the sentences work.

I have to pay through the nose for color cartridges and so the color disappoints me

I print mine in black and white.

Tara

I was concerned about the compliment instruction as well. Seemed like a lot to throw at a young one. But, otoh, just learning one part of speech is easier than learning a ton. Learning "compliment" is easier at this point than learning, Pred. Adj., Pred. Nom, IO or DO, kwim? So, we'll see how it goes for him. My ds is a 3rd grader now with little grammar instruction under his belt. We'll go slow and see how it goes.