Menu

Teaching Company DVDs

The ones we've enjoyed most are:

Understanding The Human Body

Life and Writings of C.S. Lewis (favorite)

Iliad/Odyssey by Vandiver

Both high school history sets

Physics in Your Life

Books that Made History, Books that Can Change Your Life (favorite)

I have but have not used yet: Economics, Museum Masterpieces: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Understanding the Universe (Astronomy).

We have used some other courses which we found informative but less entertaining than the above. Also, some of the ones I listed are fine on audio - no need for the dvds. Others work best on dvd.

We've used and enjoyed:

WWII; a Military and Social History

Foundations of Western Civ I

St. Francis of Assisi

St. Augustine (the one taught by Cary)

Popes and Papacy

The American Identity

How to Understand and Listen to Music (I think that's the title)

Classical Archeology

How the Earth Works

We have and plan to use: Dante's Divine Comedy (by the same professors who did St. Francis)

One on natural law taught by Fr. Koterski

One on writing based on Sentences

How to Understand and Listen to Opera

Sorry I couldn't remember a lot of those titles and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look them up!

I haven't used the Western Civ. series. The series I'm talking about is the High School level Early American History and World History: Fertile Crescent to American Revolution - while not highly detailed, it is a great overview esp. for younger students who need to either brush up on the main issues or as an introduction into a more detailed study. He moves very quickly through the information but has funny anecdotes that help keep a student interested.

I've heard the HS history sets are great also. But, unfortunately not on sale on the website. Right now - till 4/11 (tomorrow) many DVDs are 70% off. Take a look on the website....http://www.teach12.com

Thank you!

Cythia,

Can I purchase TC Dvds elsewhere for a discount?? (I'm really wanting the hs history set) - thanks

I'm new at using TC Dvds. Are these used as primary curricula? Or to supplement? If you use as primary, after viewing each lecture, what does your dc do? (write essay? or discuss w/you? do you add any literature books)?

Thanks so much, our oldest will be entering hs next year so this is all new territory!

You can use them in any way you like! They can serve as a core or as supplemental. We've done various things to complement the lectures such as taking notes, answering questions posed in the script as essay prompts, using certain lecture topics as a basis for a research paper. One year I used the scripts as a basis for quarterly tests I wrote up. Or you can use some other curriculum or program and just use the lecture series as an interesting supplement and simply enjoy watching!

I've heard the HS history sets are great also. But, unfortunately not on sale on the website. Right now - till 4/11 (tomorrow) many DVDs are 70% off. Take a look on the website....http://www.teach12.com

Thank you!

Cythia,

Can I purchase TC Dvds elsewhere for a discount?? (I'm really wanting the hs history set) - thanks

You can find them used on the sale/swap boards quite often. Also many public libraries have them. Our small town library does not, but Tulsa public library does. You might check before spending too much :)