Menu

We went to a college recruitment event today...

I have been to a number of these as this is my 3rd child. I have even been to recruitment events at this particular university before. They always work the same way, kids go here and listen to advice for students, parents go there and learn about how expensive this is going to be! Then you take a tour and then you have lunch.

But the university decided to try something new today. They decided that after they had marched us all over campus (and it is cold and rainy today) that while we ate we would all receive etiquette lessons. :glare:

You never saw a bunch of more uncomfortable parents trying to hold their spoons just so and dab their mouths just right. I hope that this is not a trend. It was pretty funny, at the end of the meal the instructor left the room and I looked around at my table. The other parents all looked really normal so I got brave and said "Okay, everyone, she is gone now. Back to your redneck ways!!!" One of the dads asked if that meant he could run his finger around the inside of his dessert dish. It was agreed that this would be too rude, it would be better if he licked his dessert dish instead.

Oh the things we put ourselves through for our kids.

I have been to a number of these as this is my 3rd child. I have even been to recruitment events at this particular university before. They always work the same way, kids go here and listen to advice for students, parents go there and learn about how expensive this is going to be! Then you take a tour and then you have lunch.

But the university decided to try something new today. They decided that after they had marched us all over campus (and it is cold and rainy today) that while we ate we would all receive etiquette lessons. :glare:

You never saw a bunch of more uncomfortable parents trying to hold their spoons just so and dab their mouths just right. I hope that this is not a trend. It was pretty funny, at the end of the meal the instructor left the room and I looked around at my table. The other parents all looked really normal so I got brave and said "Okay, everyone, she is gone now. Back to your redneck ways!!!" One of the dads asked if that meant he could run his finger around the inside of his dessert dish. It was agreed that this would be too rude, it would be better if he licked his dessert dish instead.

Oh the things we put ourselves through for our kids.

Holy cow. I cannot imagine. :001_huh:

Hope you write them a letter thanking them for helping narrow the field. Sheesh.

Kelli,

I'm in TN too... I'm almost scared to ask but where did this happen?

Cathie

Lambuth. I think someone in the office just said "Hey, I have an idea" and the idea got implemented without people thinking through whether or not parents ought to be put through this!

And there were probably some parents who thought the whole thing was peachy keen. They were not sitting at the table I was at, but surely someone liked the whole shebang!

Kelli,

Lambuth! You have got to be kidding me. I am a Lambuth alum!

Who do you want me to call???????:D

From West TN in Munford,

Brenda

I don't know! Call someone! I have got a kid there so I am probably going to be attending a lot of functions there. I promise not to lick the communal butter dish if they will just not make me take another etiquette class!!