Menu

SPD Eval - Thru PS or other?

This is my first post on this board, so please be gentle. :001_smile: I've decided to have my Ker evaluated for SPD. I know he has sensory issues, but I don't know what comes next and how to go about finding the next thing. Right now, I am mostly wondering where to start with getting an evaluation. We live rather remotely, so I am wondering if my most convenient route would be through our school district?

We live in MN if that makes a difference.

I've never heard of an SPD eval through a school district. It has to be done by an occupational therapist, I believe. I could be wrong. If you are in a remote area and do not have access to an occupational therapist for therapy, then an eval would not be of much use.. Unless, of course, you think there might be something more than SPD going on and you are looking for further feedback. You might have better luck researching it all on your own and creating your own sensory program for him.

I do recommend getting an eval and therapy for a child with SPD though.. I have a child who never received therapy and she is nearly a teenager now and stuck in this hyper-sensitive world.. Not fun!

If you have a good pediatric OT office within driving distance and your insurance will cover the eval, I'd go private. We've been with 2 OT practices, and one is much more aggressive than the other. The more aggressive one is making a huge (positive) difference for my kids.

I'm also in MN, and moved here from California in August. My son had an active IEP from California, which included OT for SPD (among other things). I can share a bit about our experience in the hopes that it's helpful for you. Feel free to PM me too!

The district did a very extensive evaluation of his variety of issues, but did not acknowledge SPD as being problematic. They declined to offer him OT because it's not affecting him academically, despite the amount of time he spends rubbing his face on walls and windows, taking his shoes off, and sitting on his head, etc. The OT evaluation consisted of observing his behavior in his special education preschool class.

I had him reevaluated for OT at MN Childrens, and he now receives private OT covered by our insurance. Honestly, with the rigor of special education laws in MN, I think you'd probably have more success with a private OT evaluation, especially if you're hoping to receive OT. Our pediatrician recommended Childrens and put in the referral for us. I'd suggest contacting your pediatrician first, and asking for their recommendation. Then you could take the private eval to your district and request services.

Hope this helps!

Edited by sailmom
typos

I do recommend getting an eval and therapy for a child with SPD though.. I have a child who never received therapy and she is nearly a teenager now and stuck in this hyper-sensitive world.. Not fun!

Misty,

My 13 yo is doing OT for the first time, and I've noticed that she seems more relaxed and smiles more. She's doing sensory therapy, Interactive Metronome, and Therapeutic Listening Program. She is going to public high school this fall, and I am hoping the therapy she's receiving now will help her cope with the overstimulation. It is not necessarily too late for your dd to be helped by OT. The first OT who evaluated her didn't recommend therapy, but the place we're going now is like OT on steroids and they recommended 4-5 months of sensory therapy and IM. She's been TLP longer because they started her on TLP at no extra charge when my 8 yo started therapy last summer.

Edited by LizzyBee

Not sure how far you are from Hudson, WI but Special Children Center is located there. My ds has been in OT there for 1 1/2 years for SPD. It has been a very good experience for us. Our insurance covers most of the cost.

The PS he was at would not acknowledge his difficulties, although other schools within the district unofficially help kids with SPD. If you can afford it and get it approved, I would definately go with private OT.

Good luck,

Kirstin

Misty,

My 13 yo is doing OT for the first time, and I've noticed that she seems more relaxed and smiles more. She's doing sensory therapy, Interactive Metronome, and Therapeutic Listening Program. She is going to public high school this fall, and I am hoping the therapy she's receiving now will help her cope with the overstimulation. It is not necessarily too late for your dd to be helped by OT. The first OT who evaluated her didn't recommend therapy, but the place we're going now is like OT on steroids and they recommended 4-5 months of sensory therapy and IM. She's been TLP longer because they started her on TLP at no extra charge when my 8 yo started therapy last summer.

Thank you Elizabeth.. I've been pondering here lately about asking for a referal from the pediatrician.. I hate to add another therapy to our week, but she really needs it.. Thanks for the push!

I'd just throw in here, there is nothing wrong with getting the eval done through the schools if they will. In my area the absolute best OT is the one in MY school district. Now if you are in a different school district 15 minutes away - well, an eval there would be a total waste of your time because their only purpose would be to deny you services.

If you can find other parents that would be in your district you can get more information. If not, it can definitely be worth a try. I can drive a long way, and pay a lot of money, but I can't get to a better OT anywhere than the one we had access to for free through the PS. We used them pre-k thru 4th grade when she graduated him from her program.