Menu

when did your accelerated kiddo talk

jillian

so when did your accelerated kiddo talk for the first time and identify what they were talking about

Ds#1 and Dd started talking when they were 2 1/2 yrs old, at 18months they were evaluated and were "measured" with expressive languae of a 6-9 month old, but receptive language age appropriate. By age 3 they were talking in full sentences and in very clear langauge. They never did speak baby talk nor twin talk. Ds#1 is dx with Asperger Syndrome and took the SAT in 6th grade. He is very strong academically but still has some issues due to the autism. He is currently taking college level courses as a 9th grader (early entry in CC).

Ds#2 started talking around a year old. He is accelerated but not genius level like Ds#1. He was talking very clearly in full sentences by age 3 also.

Ds#3 had hearing issues and needed surgery at 10 months old. He had speech therapy from age 2 until 4. By age 5 he was speaking very clearly and advanced. He also is dx with autism spectrum disorder (high functioning) and accelerated except in reading comprehension and expressive writing issues due to autism. He is accelerated in all other areas.

DD1 didn't speak until she was 3!!

She then said "Could you pass me some cake, please"

Oh, and within 2 days of her deciding to talk it was also apparent she could read. Chapter books. No idea when she learnt.

So that shut the doctors up. ;)

Oh, and within 2 days of her deciding to talk it was also apparent she could read. Chapter books. No idea when she learnt.

LOL! That is awesome...I love it!!!

^^ we had this experience. you are the first person I know who has also experienced this :D

My dd, who was a very typical child (now adult) was a chatterbox by 11 mos.

My ds (6), who we believe may be profoundly gifted, didn't speak until he was 4 y.o. He was placed in an intensive intervention program from age 2-6. At 4, he began speaking out of the blue with a vocabulary and structure well beyond his chronological age. He learned to read in a few weeks.

^^ we had this experience. you are the first person I know who has also experienced this :D

My ds (6), who we believe may be profoundly gifted, didn't speak until he was 4 y.o. He was placed in an intensive intervention program from age 2-6. At 4, he began speaking out of the blue with a vocabulary and structure well beyond his chronological age. He learned to read in a few weeks.

One of my cousins didn't talk until 4. I'm not sure where in the gifted spectrum he is, but he is one of the tops in his field now and very gifted in that area.

Yes, this. Dd-almost-3 was diagnosed as apraxic, as she didn't even babble by age 2. A great therapist from Easter Seals helped us work with her to get her to communicate in some way other than pointing-and-grunting, and told us off the record (the day before she retired) that she thought a huge disparity between comprehension and expressive ability was the reason she wouldn't even try to speak and why she had horrific self-injuring tantrums. Using the techniques the therapist recommended (some signs, picture cards, etc.), Dd started to speak, and the torrent was unleashed: 10-20 word complex sentences and, soon after, reading.

I'd be very interested to know if someone has done some research in this area. It sounds like several people have had the same experience. Did other people with late-talking, early-reading children see raging and self-destructive behavior before the talking appeared?

Before a year - probably 10 months or so. He said his sister's name. It blew me away.

By a year old he was off the charts with vocab.

Ds1 talked around 10 months too. Same story with the vocab, just beautifully appropriate words.

Interestingly though, he didn't group lots of sentences til he was 26 months old.....then it was a floodgate opening with paragraphs flowing.

DD was talking in single words and short phrases before 6 months (I have notes for 55 words/phrases at her 6th month appointment, when she surprised the pediatrician by saying hello, asking "What's that" (her favorite phrase) about almost all the equipment, and generally talking up a storm), and was carrying on multiple sentence conversations that others could understand by 11 months, leading to some rather surprised salesclerks when this baby started talking.

However, she didn't learn to crawl until after she was 1, and didn't learn to walk until she was 19 months old-so at that age I was a lot more worried about motor skills than about verbal skills.

My son was the same way! He talked in phrases at 9 months and quickly progressed in speech and language from there. But, he started crawling just after his first birthday and walked at 18 months.

so when did your accelerated kiddo talk for the first time and identify what they were talking about

Our little guy talking talking around 6 months Dada and Mama. At seven months could say "apple" and "juice" and couldn't be fooled with water he would scream "JUICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

At his baby dedication service at 7 almost 8 months he kept saying "Amen" to end the service. He was hungry and just wanted it over with to eat. :lol:

At his baby dedication service at 7 almost 8 months he kept saying "Amen" to end the service. He was hungry and just wanted it over with to eat. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to send my mother a link to this thread (see this, Mom;)?) so she can see that her mother probably wasn't exaggerating about how early she spoke. My mother is amazing with words/vocabulary/crossword puzzles and she was conversing with guests at something like 8 months old (but I could be remembering this incorrectly--I know it was somewhere around that age.) I'm not sure how well, of course.

Edited by Karin

My older son (who is profoundly gifted) spoke his first clear words at 5 months, phrases and sign language by 7-8 months, and complex sentences at 12 months. My little one (who turned 2 in April) first used words about 9 months, didn't start talking in phrases until after his 1st birthday, and now at 25 months usually uses 3-4 word sentences.

I've learned through DS#2 that slower verbal skills don't mean much of anything, though. Even though my 2 year old talks less than my 5 year old, he shows signs of equally high intelligence in many other ways (which I won't bore you with), plus he's much more athletic than my older one.

My oldest was slow to talk, but highly advanced in gross motor skills. He also was an early "communicator" but preferred to use his own made up words or gestures. He hated being read to as a baby/toddler so we didn't do it much at all. Imagine my surprise when he was reading The Chronicles of Narnia series by his 5th birthday.