Menu

when did your accelerated kiddo talk

jillian

Kid number 1: At 12 months. His first words were "the butt" (long story there). He said "the butt" over and over and over for the next several months and didn't add any new words. When he did add words, they were in his own language. He has dyslexia and an auditory processing disorder.

Kid number 2: At 10 months. His first word where I realized what he was saying was "light." He proceeded very rapidly from there to long complicated sentences.

DD was talking in single words and short phrases before 6 months (I have notes for 55 words/phrases at her 6th month appointment, when she surprised the pediatrician by saying hello, asking "What's that" (her favorite phrase) about almost all the equipment, and generally talking up a storm), and was carrying on multiple sentence conversations that others could understand by 11 months, leading to some rather surprised salesclerks when this baby started talking.

However, she didn't learn to crawl until after she was 1, and didn't learn to walk until she was 19 months old-so at that age I was a lot more worried about motor skills than about verbal skills.

DD5 started talking at about the normal age-about 17 months. I always got the impression that she didn't want to talk until she could say it correctly. Since then, she has systematically corrected all of the normal speech problems that kids have (like "r's", for example).

DD5 started talking at about the normal age-about 17 months. I always got the impression that she didn't want to talk until she could say it correctly. Since then, she has systematically corrected all of the normal speech problems that kids have (like "r's", for example).

My son was a self correcting kid too. At age 2 he was correcting himself on the use of I/me. Blew me away.

He certainly was speaking and identifying things well before a year. By the time he was 15 months old he was speaking in complete complicated sentences. (one our favorite memories is when my dad would go to the bathroom, ds would peak under the door and yell out, 'Papaw you gotta let me in!') By the time he was 18 months old he was reciting the alphabet. Clearly.

At 9 months she was using many signs for words and a few words and by 16 months she was using sentences and holding basic conversations with me.

ETA: I always forget about poor DD3 - she started at around the same time as DD6 to use words, but by 16 months her vocabulary was more extensive.

Edited by Melenie

My DD was "talking" non-stop from about 1 year old. She was talking, we just didn't understand her. :lol: We joked that she was speaking another language. Okay, I am sure that is not what you mean. She had less than 10 words at 18 months. Around 22/23 months, her language took off. It was like she went from nothing to talking in sentences over night. She still had/has articulation issues (I still had to translate to my DH until she was over 4yo), but her language did skyrocket.

Ten months. Like many other posters, I have a child who by around sixteen months was holding extended, multiple sentence conversations with me. She was my first, so I took this entirely for granted.

Real identifiable words past mama and dada ... about two years old for each of mine. And that stubborn boy of mine used mama to mean milk and dada to mean food, so I'm not sure it counts. LOL. He babbled whole conversations, complete with voicing and pauses to laugh at jokes, and everything ... it was a riot ... he just didn't use any identifiable words at all. But it was definitely some form of complete sentences and paragraphs and interaction.

My daughter was quieter and also waited till about two for most words.

Once they did start, though ... it was amazing what all they knew. We figured they were bright just by how they observed their environment and approached things, but it's sure a lot easier to tell when they can use words to help get their point across!

My boy was a late walker too, but my daughter wasn't ... she took me by surprise by running at 10 months ... ack! Not all that early compared to some, I guess, but it was early to us.

We trained our dog to ring a set of bells when she had to go out and it was our ds's job to do so. DD was 7 months old and sitting in her high chair next to the door when the dog rang the bell so she called her brother. It shocked me, but clearly pleased her that I understood her and knew what she meant. From that day on her language sky rocketed and she was speaking in complete sentences by her first birthday.

Mine are all accelerated.

#1 talked at 9 mo; #2 at 8 mo; #3 at 6 mo, but then stopped at 10 mo and started again at 23 mo -- no idea why, if we didn't have the videos, we would have believed that we were making up the 6-10 mo thing; #4 didn't start until 2 yrs 3 mo. The pediatrician was about to refer her, but I knew that her receptive language was excellent, so I held off following through. She was one of those kids who went from zero to paragraphs.

My DD was "talking" non-stop from about 1 year old. She was talking, we just didn't understand her. :lol: We joked that she was speaking another language. Okay, I am sure that is not what you mean. She had less than 10 words at 18 months. Around 22/23 months, her language took off. It was like she went from nothing to talking in sentences over night. She still had/has articulation issues (I still had to translate to my DH until she was over 4yo), but her language did skyrocket.

Plenty of early babbling but virtually no real words until 23 months. And late articulation issues too. Gobs of money spent on speech therapy and people still ask if he's British. :001_huh:

Ds9 started speaking individual words at 7 months or so. He was speaking in complete, articulate sentences with adverbs, adjectives etc. by 14 months. We realized when we looked back at home videos that he was speaking in complete sentences way earlier then we thought, we just didn't get all the words.

My ds7 didn't talk until he was dang near 3. He's a smartie too, just in a different way.

My ds4 was a very late talker, and his younger brother (20m) appears to be following the same path. HOWEVER, once our older ds started to talk just before his 2nd birthday, everything came spilling out and we realized just how bright he was (knew upper and lower case alphabet and corresponding sounds at 2, started reading Level 1 easy readers just before his 3rd birthday, etc.)

At the time, we were very worried about ds's speech delay. He speaks very clearly now and you would never have suspected that he was delayed at all.

Every kid is different!

My 8yo did not say one word - not even mama or dada - until after his second birthday. Then quickly he learned mama, dada, baby, and his fourth and fifth words were "two" and "blue". He caught up with his peers within 6 months.

Today his strength is in language and his verbal skills are amazing. He is several years accelerated at least, and would be more if I wanted to push more academics.

Like many other posters, I have a child who by around sixteen months was holding extended, multiple sentence conversations with me. She was my first, so I took this entirely for granted.

My first was saying Mama and Daddy by about 6 mos, and at 7 mos she said "hello" as plain as day. I was taking notes every time she would say a new word but I hit 400 words by 15 mos and decided to stop counting. At that point she was talking in complete sentences, understandable even by strangers, and I really had no clue how unusual that was!

My second was much more typical. :)

my little one misses the "L" sound a lot and if the "m" sound is in the middle of a word (like mommy) she pronounces that like an "n". She used to do it right until she got lazy and we never stopped responding to it. dd has had simple sentences since about 12 months and now at 2 she for the most part (about 80-90% of the time) uses the proper pronouns, knows TONS of vocabulary and will even come up with new stuff that i have no idea where she learned it

I even asked dh, and neither of us can remember! I know ds was using full sentences and multisyllabic words by the time he was 15 months old. I remember once he was talking to dh about going on vacation with his grandparents and vacation came out bay-tay-sun, which dh didn't understand. Finally after the 4th time being asked to repeat it, ds turned around, put his hands on his little hips, and said as loudly and slowly as possible "BAY.TAY.SUN. DADDY!!", like dh was hard of hearing. I think he even rolled his eyes. Dh and I still laugh about this 5 years later. :tongue_smilie:

DS3 is still learning and is a bit of a late bloomer. We do have a speech therapy referral if we so choose. He was a very early walker though (9 months). He's also very mechanical (can take anything apart and put it back together correctly. Puzzles are his obsession right now!).

DD6 talked at 20 months. She would babble mama and dada at right around a year. Then at 20 months she woke up one morning and greeted us with full sentences and conversation!

To each their own. ;)

DD said her first word at 5 months. She was in her exersaucer waving a Maisy mouse board book in the air while I sat next to her reading my own book. She swatted me with it, and I asked if she wanted me to read Maisy.... She beamed at me and said "Maisy!" I was shocked and was sure that I must have imagined the whole thing. She wouldn't repeat it that afternoon. Then I told DH about it at dinner, and he looked very skeptical. He turned to her and asked "Did you say Maisy to Mama?" Her instant reply was a huge grin and a very loud "Maisy!" And then she said nothing else but Mama and Dada until she was 7 months old. I was excited at the time, but later I was a bit sad that her first word had been Maisy instead of Mama. I would have to check DS's baby book for his first word, but I remember his speech really taking off at the same time as his walking, around 9 months.

My first said real words by 5 mos. (cat, etc. -- much more than mom and dad) By a year, she used sentences, had more vocabulary than I could count, and could understand entire conversations about ANYTHING.

Sorry to say I can barely remember #2 and #3. It's all a blur, lol. They weren't quite as early as my oldest, but not far behind. FWIW, we are a very chatty family, lol.

I can't remember when DS started talking so I guess his first words were around an 'average' age - maybe 8-10 months?

I do know he had about 150 words at 13 months - I was in the hospital on bedrest so one day we just wrote them down and counted (I wonder if we kept the list...). He had phrases by 1 1/2 (and was singing songs too) and definitely sentences prior to 2 yrs.

DD was a late talker, I don't remember when on 1st word but had 4 words at 18 months but sentences (with maybe 40 words) by 22 months and she hasn't quit since, lol.

Oldest had about 30 words by 15 months. We were a fully-bilingual family at that point, so his words were in 2 languages. 6 months later his dominant language was a third language and he used sentences. That's an atypical situation, so I don't really know how it compares to my others'.

Dd spoke early and transitioned to paragraphs before 2 y.o.

2nd ds didn't put 2 words together until 2.5, but then jumped to sentences fairly quickly.

3 accelerated/gifted kiddos and 3 different experiences with language acquisition.

My daughter's first word was Amen at 6 months. We were praying for dinner.

My oldest and youngest sons also talked at 6 months. My oldest sons first word was dad. My youngest was mama. My middle son spoke at 9 months, around the same time he walked.

My boys weren't big talkers even though they talked early. My daughter though was tiny and a big talker. She was turning heads in the grocery shore as she named fruit. She's always been very verbal, and still is.

My DS, who has/had some pretty major auditory processing problems, spoke a recognizable word other than "mama" or "dada" at 7 months: "milk." But he had a REALLY hard time speaking so that he could be understood, so I probably missed a lot before then. He didn't speak in two-word phrases until 10 months, when he uttered his first phrase in order to argue with me.

I've officially declared that my DD was talking at 5 months--multiple spontaneous, unprompted understandable words other than "mama" and "dada." But she had repeated words--even phrases--for several months before then, and she had been signing two words before 6 weeks of age. (She also echoed words before she turned 2 months old.) She spoke in real sentences for the first time at 7 months--that is, not just "I love you" or other canned phrases but real sentences that she came up with herself. Honestly, I was so strung out with exhaustion then that if she'd started flying around the room, it wouldn't have struck me as unusual, so most people would probably count her as talking sooner. She spoke several hundred words by 9 months of age. (I had to fill out an inventory for a language study she was in.)

The discrepancy is partially intelligence. DS isn't as advanced as DD. But a LOT of it is disability. DS was only advanced because of enormous intellectual compensation for low auditory processing. He was a baby who never babbled. EVER. He grunted and cried, but he never tried "fake speech." DD, on the other hand, babbled at birth.

DD went on a speech strike for two months and has just now come out. Thank goodness! She'd said no more than "I do" and "No!" and "Give!" for weeks, and I was about to take her out. *crosses eyes* (She would occasionally jsut blurt out a sentence. For example, when her brother for in trouble for being goofy when he was told to do something, she walked into the middle of the room, rolled her eyes, and said, "That's so silly!" and the walked right out again.)

At 17 mo (oh, my, I've been saying she's 18 mo old for a month now! GOOD GRIEF!) now, she knows the names and sounds of the letters and apparently what order they come in--she's been sitting in on the language/reading therapy of our neighbor's 4-y-o w/Down syndrome son, which keeps her out of trouble. And she knows how to read some, but I have no idea. For about a month when she was REALLY little, reading flashcards from a certain phonetic program were the only things that kept her occupied and me sane, but as soon as she got bored, they went away. She can spell her name fairly well and can read a few things, though, from what she's blurted out at times. The neighbor's kid is going to start a real reading program next week, so maybe she'll enjoy that with the tutor, too.

Edited by Reya

DS was adopted from China at 26 months. He came to us not talking even one single word. Our guide actually told us that she thought he didn't even understand her (she was using the local Chinese dialect) and that we had our work cut out for us.

DS continued to be mute for the first two months that we were home. Then one day, he started talking in complete sentences - correct grammar and everything. He has an immense vocabulary now and we cannot get him to be quiet :D.

Now my darling little DD used her vocabulary to its fullest extent at the museum yesterday, in the children's room where there was a lovely water table with fountains, boats, locks, slides, etc. for little toys to float on.

First, she swiftly made the discovery that the little aimable water guns, while carefully tied down so that it is impossible to directly shoot another child with water, can be, with a finger over the nozzle, made to shoot anyone at all around the table. She did it once by accident, then again to nail a kid right between the eyes. So we went to lunch to give her a chance to forget about it.

When we came back, I set up a stool so she could get to part of the table she'd wanted to see earlier but was too short to reach. Not coincidentally, this was far from the "water gun" section of the table. There, she had a grand time playing with the toys and the lock (though she couldn't close it without help). Except that there were other children at the other end of the table, and any time one of them came close, she'd start shouting, "This one's mine! Nonononono! This one's mine! This one's mine!" And mind you, she didn't even mean the particular toy she was holding. She didn't even mean all toys within reach. No, that would be bratty enough. She meant every toy within 2 feet of her reach on either side. She laid claim, among other things, to an entire water feature.

I did discover two new things, though. First, she knows what blue is because she held a blue walrus aloft and yelled, "This blue one's [her name]!" And she knows the word "steal" because when a girl came a took one of the toys she absolutely was not playing with, she shouted, "You STEAL it!!!!"

Needless to say, she spent a lot of time in timeout....

I don't remember what/when my oldest !st words were but I know when we went to his 2 year checkup the ped was very concerned because he had a vocabulary of 10 words and half of those were words that were made up but my husband and knew meant something specific too him. I told the ped that it was fine because his dad didn't talk until 3 and then spoke in sentences and his grandfather didn't talk until 4 and then spoke in sentences. The ped was sure the problem was that I was home with DS and DS wasn't spending enough time around other kids. 3 months later DS taught himself all the names of the letters of the alphabet from an electronic book and shortly after clearly asked for "more quesadillas" for supper. He just never bothered to talk until he could say it perfectly.

None of my other kids are as advanced academically as oldest DS but my girls have all talked early and clearly.

My oldest was speaking clearly by 8 months, iirc. Around 18 months I had to teach her to say her name (it's not the easiest for a little kid), because she was greeting people when we went out ("Hello! How are you?") and they always asked her for her name!

Ds didn't talk as early, but once he did, it was pretty much in sentences. Around 18 months, I think?

Little dd is only 16 months and has a limited *spoken* vocabulary but her receptive vocabulary is the highest of any of my three. It's really kind of freaky. As long as I make things yes or no questions we can have quite a conversation. I think her muscles just aren't cooperating with her mind fully yet.

My oldest and middle ds both said their 1st words besides mama and dada at 10 months though they signed many words prior to that. Oldest ds's first words were "baby" and "cat." Middle ds's words were "cat" and "here mommy" (what he said when he wanted his drink). Both spoke in 3-4 word sentences by 12 months.

Dd said her first word besides mama and dada at 4 months (ninnin- I called breastfeeding ninny). She had a huge vocabulary by 12 months (lost track of number of words at around 10 months) and spoke in 5-6 word sentences including proper use of pronouns, adjectives and adverbs. She also had over 100 signs at 12 months.

Each of my dc had one word by six months that was very obvious, and it was na-na for the girls (meant nurse, and they used it all the time regardless of emotion and it was very clear what it meant) and dd said en for the same thing.

But as for speaking with a more extended vocabulary and then stringing sentences together:

dd 1 by a year, full sentences well before 2 with a precocious vocabulary

dd 2 many words, but no full sentences until right around her 2nd bday, and I don't remember when she developed her precocious vocabulary because I had my 3rd right after she started speaking full sentences regularly.

ds behind average in speech at 2, caught up by 2.5, later developing a precocious vocabulary

DD was talking in single words and short phrases before 6 months (I have notes for 55 words/phrases at her 6th month appointment, when she surprised the pediatrician by saying hello, asking "What's that" (her favorite phrase) about almost all the equipment, and generally talking up a storm), and was carrying on multiple sentence conversations that others could understand by 11 months, leading to some rather surprised salesclerks when this baby started talking.

However, she didn't learn to crawl until after she was 1, and didn't learn to walk until she was 19 months old-so at that age I was a lot more worried about motor skills than about verbal skills.

Wow, this is even earlier than my sister. I think she were more like 8 months. My mother didn't believe her mother's stories about when she (my mother) talked, but after reading this forum for the past 5-6 years I do. I'm not sure if she was quite this early, but fairly close. My mother thought I was a late talker, but I had full sentences before 18 months (which is on the early side) and walked at 18.5 months.

My oldest ds was 3 months when he said, "Ummy" for mommy and nurse. He still uses that word for me when he's tired or sick. At 5 months he said, "No thank you." to anything he didn't want but would say nothing else. At 11 months he started saying "I wanna cook" for cookie. Two weeks later he was having conversations with adults in complete and complex sentences. He'll be 10 on Sunday, and he never stops talking. :lol:

My 2nd ds was 5 months when he started saying Dada. He was 7 months when he started speaking in complete sentences. His first sentence was, "I'm a puppy, arff, arff."

My 3rd ds was 8 months before he said anything at all but he spoke in complete sentences when he started... he's also got a slight speech impediment so it took longer for us to understand him.

My Dd was 5 months when she started naming names... Mummy, Dede (daddy), Nana, Papa, and her brothers names. At 6 months she started naming colors and shapes, and at 7 months she started speaking in complete sentences.

I would qualify talking as intentional use of language to communicate an idea (so no mama, dada, cat etc). So, with that in mind - My DD1 was speaking in 2-3 word sentences by 1 yr and full sentences (5-6 word) with descriptive adjectives by 18mos.

I'm qualifying it because she was parroting words (sounds to her) back to me starting from when she was about 3 mos old. I nearly fell off of the bed the first time that she said light -- until I realized that it wasn't truly her "first word" but merely a repetition of an oft heard sound grouping. So our transition over to 'real' language was really gradual since she wasn't a babbler, but a repeater, I'd like to say that it was sometime between 6-9 mos?

My kiddo was two years old before she uttered anything intelligible and when she did, it was a full sentence--and a complete and total LIE. Yup, my kid's first words were a lie.

We were at a store and she was mad at me for not letting her grab things off the clothing racks. She looked a stranger square in the eye, pointed at me, opened her mouth and said to the stranger, "She hit me." I most certainly had NOT hit her and didn't even know where she learned that word!!!

Hilarious. I nearly fainted. First of all, she SPOKE. Second of all, she knew how to lie and use words I didn't know she knew. That's when I knew she was gonna be trouble, hahahaha! :)

My kiddo was two years old before she uttered anything intelligible and when she did, it was a full sentence--and a complete and total LIE. Yup, my kid's first words were a lie.

We were at a store and she was mad at me for not letting her grab things off the clothing racks. She looked a stranger square in the eye, pointed at me, opened her mouth and said to the stranger, "She hit me." I most certainly had NOT hit her and didn't even know where she learned that word!!!

Hilarious. I nearly fainted. First of all, she SPOKE. Second of all, she knew how to lie and use words I didn't know she knew. That's when I knew she was gonna be trouble, hahahaha! :)

Now that's funny. Hilarious....LOL.

So sad that I can't remember DD's first word or exactly when she started, but I know it was well before her first birthday, probably around 8-9 months or so. By a year old she had a zoo's worth of animal sounds and quite a few words and was speaking in short sentences by 16 months or so. We've always gotten comments about how well she talks, both because of how early she spoke and how clearly she spoke. By 3 she had all of her sounds including the hard ones like L and R.

Both of my girls started talking at 4 months, and spoke in complex sentences by 12 months. My oldest was much more conversational, and would startle people at grocery stores with her speech. Both were very articulate. I think we talk a lot in our house, so I think it just felt natural to them.

My first was saying Mama and Daddy by about 6 mos, and at 7 mos she said "hello" as plain as day. I was taking notes every time she would say a new word but I hit 400 words by 15 mos and decided to stop counting. At that point she was talking in complete sentences, understandable even by strangers, and I really had no clue how unusual that was!
Sounds like my dd! I didn't think to write all the words down, but, as I mentioned in another thread, she helped me greet (I was a greeter) people at Church. She's say "Good morning Mr. and Mrs. So-and-so, using their correct names, at 15 months. They'd often answer, "Good morning, how are you?" She'd answer, "I'm doin' great!" or something like that, whatever came to her mind at the time. She delighted people with her answers, because they could tell that it wasn't something she spouted from rote memory! She carried on conversations with people, then would say, "'scuse me, I'm gonna go see Mrs. _________ now."

Our middle guy wasn't interested in conversation at all. He'd point or grunt when he wanted something, but, no matter how much we might try to get him to say the word first he just didn't. At his 2-year check-up, I voiced concern to our Doctor, but he told me ds was still within the normal range, so not to worry about it. He said that if ds was still not talking at 3, we'd look into it and see what needed to be done. About the time ds was 2 1/2 he suddenly started speaking in long sentences! Like a previous poster said, from 0 to 100mph overnight, it seemed! Then he didn't STOP talking! :D

intelligible words: "baseball player". We knew he understood language well and tried not to be too worried that he didn't talk. Once he did speak, he quickly acquired full sentences. Other two were more typical for smart kids-they spoke some words before 12 months, and sentences a few weeks later.

Eleven months...She took her hair bow out of her hair, handed it to the church nursery worker, and said, "Thank you." She talked in complete sentences so early that I honestly don't really remember her not being able to communicate extremely well.

My son, no lie, cried out "Mama!" to me as I was leaving the room at 5 months old. It was very clear that he was intentional and knew what he was saying. Kind of freaked me out. However, after that, he did't talk again until much later - 9 months he could ask for some things w/ sign language. At 18 months talking in unintelligible sentences. Couldn't really understand him until he was 2.