Menu

How to I say I am homeschooling for religion...

In Massachusetts, we must submit a letter of intent with the curriculum we will be following, the schedule we will use, and the certifications of the teacher even though the teacher does not need a special degree, just a diploma or GED. I am submitting all of these requirements but I know for a fact that I CANNOT get denied the right to homeschool if it is for religious reasons. How do I mention that I want to homeschool for religious reasons in a professional way because a reason isn't required, they probably don't even care. I just want to let them know they can't deny me. Also, the thing is, I will be a Junior in high school next year. Do you think they can question why it took so long to be pulled out of school for religious reasons? I will be taking religion courses as well through an online academy so it is official. Any advice is welcome and I would really appreciate to hear from someone from Massachusetts. That would be great if you could tell me about your acceptance/denial experience and why you were accepted or why you were denied.

Do you think they are planning to deny you?

First, I would go to the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) site and read up on what they have to say about your state.

Then I would just follow what needs to be done. If they challenge you, then you have the knowledge and information to answer, and the support of HSLDA (if you join).

I wouldn't go in fighting, when it may be just a calm, fine situation!

and they do try so hard to intimidate don't they. Do not worry, I would not even tell them why your homeschooling, I never did. If you want you can PM me I will send you a copy of what I send, if it helps.

First page....letter of intent (no why) just that I am intending to. I see absolutely no reason to get into why, it it your right and you have presently decided to excersice it. Period. Again, they aim to intimidate, just ignore it. We have charles on our side. I have no degree and neither does my husband and we have hs in MA since the beginning. Dd is in 9th this year.

Page two.....subjects and curricula. I do not know if you are doing regualr subjects or not. We do so I just list them out with what books I am using. I just never included bible. Not there business what I choose that way and we have always had enough credits without so I leave it out. I find it to be my personal business not theres.

Page three....each year they try to tell me I need to submit quarterly progress reports. You don't. So my page three is a "yearly progress report" in which I tell them all about what she excelled in, what we plan to delve deeper into next year, plug extra currcicula activities in EX....dd went to swim competetion, blah, blah, blah.

I really don't think you will have a problem and you certianly can state it is for religiuos reasons, but I never did. I don't think they really read it anyway. Once they see you know the ropes they know they can't bully you and just send you the approval letter.

HTH,

Kathy

I know that they will be submitting the letter. My parents want to get all information possible on what to put in the letter and everything because my school district doesn't really know themselves what is needed, they just handed us the papers. My parents aren't tech savvy, therefore, I am doing the research for them.

I know that they will be submitting the letter. My parents want to get all information possible on what to put in the letter and everything because my school district doesn't really know themselves what is needed, they just handed us the papers. My parents aren't tech savvy, therefore, I am doing the research for them.

I was just hoping to help you feel a bit more relaxed about all the bureaucracy you are dealing with. I wish you all the best on your homeschooling ! :)

Hi,

I'm from MA, and I've never heard of anyone being denied. I'm sure it's happened, but it must be really rare. Sometimes they might ask for additional info once you've submitted your letter of intent.

If you haven't done so already, check out the Mass Home Learning website (http://www.mhla.org). They provide a lot of information on getting started with homeschooling in MA.

The big "issue", if it is one, in MA is that MA is a "patchwork" state. Oversight of homeschooling is done at the district level, and MA has many, many school districts. I'm not sure of the exact number, but it's probably close to 300. Often times the superintendent of the local district isn't familiar with homeschool case law in our state and tries to ask families for things that are not required. Read the info on the mhla website under "Getting Started".

Since each superintendent treats homeschoolers slightly differently, the best way to find out the hs climate in your town is to find someone else in your town who homeschools and has dealt with the school department in the past. If you don't know anyone in your town who homeschools, MHLA has a yahoo group where you can post questions and ask experiences of someone in your town. The link for joining the egroup is on the MHLA website.

In my town, I filed a letter of intent every year, got my approval letter and was done with it. They didn't ask me to send in anything. Then a couple of years ago, the assistant superintendent changed and now they are asking for either a portfolio of work at the end of the year or standardized test scores. So be aware that what the district asks for may change as personnel change in the school department.

Like Kathy said, I teach my children our faith as part of our homeschooling, but I have not put those materials on my letter of intent. I do not believe it's any of their business which materials I use to teach religion.

Best wishes,

Brenda