Menu

Reading for 5 yo: CLE, MP or other?

LAmom

I have 100 Easy Lessons, but just don't love it. Kind of tedious in ways. Can't really explain that.

Has anyone used CLE Learn to Read? Is it a good program? Pros? Cons?

Is there a different reading program that you just love? What about Memoria Press?

He will need to learn handwriting, too. Not quite up to speed on that yet.

Maybe I should just give 100 EZ a try and go from there?

IMO, Phonics Pathways is much more visually appealing to kids than 100 Easy Lessons. Have you seen it? The font is large, the page is uncluttered, the little pictures are simple and cute (and yet contribute to the lesson). I've used it with all 3 of my kiddos (girls and a boy), and we just love it. You can do a page a day, less or more (if they're willing ;)).

Years ago I compared the two, and PP easily won out.

I'm not familiar with the others you asked about.

Hope this helps! :)

I just checked on Amazon to see if you could actually look at a typical page in Phonics Pathways. You can't. :glare: The pages they include for the "Look Inside" are just introductory. The actual "teach your kid to read" pages aren't to be seen. (Not good marketing.) So, don't go by what you can see there, if you want to look into it.

Before my daughter (6yo) learned to read I purchased PP. I remember not liking it at all and quickly selling it and buying 100 EZ. I have noticed on this forum how many people love it. Maybe I should look at it again.

Hmmm. I was hoping for results from people that liked CLE LTR or tried CLE? Or other? And now I am considering yet another program! Haha! :)

Seems like the most popular are OPGTR, PP, or 100 EZ?

If I could go back I would choose something

are witty, or interesting than Phonics Pathways! I miss my boy being 5. He hated PP. :)

Anyway what comes to mind is The Reading Lesson, and Happy Phonics. If your guy likes cut and paste, there's LLATL Blue (but he really hS to like paper crafts.).

Also Explode the Code is my sons favorite phonics. He adds to the whimsical drawings.

I am not one to make everything fun. I don't think it's possible or necessary. But if I could get my chubby 5 year old back I would at least try something fun!!

:)

I use CLE LTR. If I were to do it with a 5 yo (and I might in the fall) I would do it half speed. The lessons are broken up into 2 sessions. I would do one session a day taking 2 days to complete a lesson. The lessons are long, so one lesson over two days would be a good fit for a k'er. This would allow you to finish it in one year because LTR is only 18 weeks then you start I Wonder (CLE Reading 100).

I tried PP's with my oldest dd along with phonetic readers, HWT and ETC.

This is my opinion:

It drove me batty that I couldn't line up my handwriting with the sounds my dc was learning and that my phonic written work didn't match the lessons I was teaching.

Each program teaches each component in a different order!

CLE combines the 4 and does it in ONE order! It uses the blend ladder style of phonics (like PP's). It teaches handwriting that corresponds with the sounds you are learning and the verbal phonics lessons correspond with the written work. PLUS they have readers that go along with what you are learning and visual discrimination exercises.

CLE does teach one sight word per letter of the alphabet. I just explain the phonetic rule and go on.

Like I said, CLE's lessons are long, but look at it like this:

Instead of doing this:

Bob Books

PP's

HWT

ETC

I do this:

CLE LTR

:D

Edited by Tabrett

We use CLE. I didn't use LTR, but only b/c I didn't know about it then. We're using CLE Reading 100 right now. LTR is supposed to be used 1st semester and CLE Reading 100 is for 2nd semester. I absolutely love it and my DD has learned so much in the short time we've been using it. (We switched to it ~3 weeks ago.) So I'd definitely recommend it!

We did 100 EZ Lessons before CLE, FWIW. I've never looked through Phonics Pathways.

We love CLE Learn to Read! My just-turned seven year old dd enjoyed every minute of it, and is reading beautifully now. We just started it in the fall (lasts half the year), and we're now in 105. She is now reading Arthur books fluently! She liked all the picture sound cards and cues, and it was just the visual program that she needed. I also love that she has easily applied her phonics skills into spelling words correctly. We started CLE Language Arts after Christmas, and she loves it, too.

We tried Phonics Pathways before CLE, but she did not like it, and I didn't either. We both were bored. I sold it on ebay after about ten lessons. I believe that 100 Easy Lessons is very similar in format from looking at samples, but we didn't try it.

I cannot say enough good things about the CLE LTR program. It is solid in its phonics, engaging, and my dd looked forward to her reading time every day from the start. This gave her the confidence she needed and the motivation to read, and she loves to read all the time now. Plus, the pieces are inexpensive, so you could always order just the first couple of units and see how it works for your family. HTH!

We love CLE Learn to Read! My just-turned seven year old dd enjoyed every minute of it, and is reading beautifully now.

I know each child is different, but you said you used it for your 6/7 yo? Do you think it would be too much for a 5yo? Does he need to know anything before starting? I mean, he has letter recognition and knows most of the sounds, but that is it.

Thanks! Everyone has been helpful.

Last year I just spent a lot of time reading aloud with my dd. She didn't have a real interest in reading, and I didn't want to push her. She knew her letter sounds, but just did not want to really read. (My eldest dd taught herself to read pretty much by age four, so I wasn't really sure what to do with my youngest.) Anyhow, we did the Bob books, word family/ rhyming books, etc., but I never found anything that she really liked and encouraged her to want to learn how to read. Once I ordered CLE for this fall, though, she LOVED it!

That said, I think LTR is perfect for kindergarten. If the writing is too much, you can go slower, or just not require as much writing ( 2 m's instead of 5, etc.) Otherwise, if I had had this program at age 5 for my dd, then I think she would have been just as successful then with perhaps some writing adjustments. I wish I had known about it sooner, but in the end, I'm happy. :)

Although I haven't used CLE LTR, I think it would be a good choice. We use CLE Reading 300, and it is really good! I'm moving my younger ones into CLE Reading 100 very soon.

I haven't used LTR, because we were already using Explode the Code. It's another good program. We have also enjoyed using Happy Phonics in the past.

Blessings,

Laura