Menu

S/O of bra thread . . . teen girl not wanting to shave

I am enjoying the thread on teen girls and bras. Does anyone have a teen girl who chooses not to shave her legs or under her arms? My dd will be 15 this summer and has never shaved. I have asked her if she is interested and she is not at this time. She tends to be pretty modest in her dress and her leg hair is light. Swimsuits are not an issue as we tend towards the suits that protect from UV rays, so she is covered up even at the pool/beach. I am fine about her personal preference but would be interested to hear from others who have teen girls who do not shave or adults who do not (I tend to shave only during the warmer months and let it go during the winter).

Adrianne in IL

I never shave my legs anymore. Sometimes I pluck a dark hair or two that shows up on my shin (that's how little leg hair I have.) I shave my armpits in the summer, or before wearing a sleeveless shirt.

Dd 16 shaves regularly. I let her shoose to shave or not shave- I just told her when she was 10 to let me know before she tried shaving and I would give her some tips (and her own razor.) Dd 11 is still not interested, but she's very blond.

I shave in the summer because we are at the community pool a lot but I really let it go in the Winter. I have very pale skin and brown hair so it definitely shows up but I don't need to shave above the knee on my legs since I have no hair on my thighs.

My oldest shaves frequently all year round but she wears shorts, capri-length tights, tank tops, etc. all year round for dance. She also wears skirts/dresses to school with no tights or panty hose (panty hose are evidently GROSS to that generation).

I don't shave my legs. I do shave my underarms because I have not figured out a way to not stink if I don't. My daughter is 13 and has inherited her father's side of the family's dark, abundant hair. Her grandmother shaves and waxes everywhere, even her arms. It just kills me that someone would go to such lengths for vanity's sake. I pray my daughter will accept her body as given by God and not waster time and money to make herself look like someone other than who she is. Really, from a practical standpoint, I don't see the point in shaving one's legs.

I am pleasantly surprised to discover some independent thinkers for this topic, women and girls with enough self-confidence in who they are to decide what is best for themselves without reference to "fashion"/vanity/peer pressure/whatever else. No matter what the final decision, the choice should be made freely, without social coercion.

I am pleasantly surprised to discover some independent thinkers for this topic, women and girls with enough self-confidence in who they are to decide what is best for themselves without reference to "fashion"/vanity/peer pressure/whatever else. No matter what the final decision, the choice should be made freely, without social coercion.

Very well said.

Women started shaving their armpits becuase a razor company decided that they wanted to sell more of their product and suddenly marketed the idea of hairy armpits being 'gross' and unfeminine.

whatever!

My 13yo dd doesn't shave yet either and I hope she never starts!

I didn't shave legs or armpits for 10 years. My husband met and married me hairy. I admire girls who don't want to shave their legs. I wish I never had started. I went back to shaving when my oldest was a year old. I was having negative body image issues and it helped me feel more feminine. It's just what I needed. Now I have a tattoo on my leg that looks really weird if it's hairy. LOL I shave my armpits because I can't stand to let it grow out and be prickly for several weeks.

My dd is almost 14, and hasn't shaved anything yet.

I am blessed with very little leg hair. Only upon close inspection can one see whether I've shaved or not. Since no one generally inspects my legs, I generally choose not to! :)

I hate shaving my armpits because it itches like CRAZY for the following three or four days, while the hair is growing back. It feels fine again after about three days. I only shave when I'm going to be dressing up in something sleeveless -- which doesn't happen very often. I don't shave at all in the winter, and only about three or four times during the summer months.

I'm all for freedom and comfort. I just pretend I'm French! :)

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Oh my gosh, this is not historically true. :)

Blame the ancient Egyptians. :D

Very well said.

Women started shaving their armpits becuase a razor company decided that they wanted to sell more of their product and suddenly marketed the idea of hairy armpits being 'gross' and unfeminine.

whatever!

My 13yo dd doesn't shave yet either and I hope she never starts!

Non-issue here. If she wants to shave she can. If she doesn't, I'm not pushing.

That's going to be my answer - when it ever comes up. As for me, I am happy to live in a place where I grow winter fur on my legs to help keep me warm. :D Now is that TMI? 'Cause if it is, we won't talk about the rest. ;)

Oh my gosh, this is not historically true. :)

Blame the ancient Egyptians. :D

I should have been more specific. I meant when American women started shaving as a matter of "hygeine".

I found the information here:

http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

Why Women Shave Their Legs and Underarms -

We all know the power of advertising. At the turn of the century, for example, the South African Diamond company, DeBeers, created the image that the diamond was forever and therefore would make an excellent wedding ring.

Another marketing campaign around this time convinced the women of North America to shave their body hair. Notably, women in the other parts of the world do not engage on masse in this ritual. Even in French Canada, the habit is not largely undertaken.

It all began with the May, 1915 edition of Harper's Bazaar magazine that featured a model sporting the latest fashion. She wore a sleeveless evening gown that exposed, for the first time in fashion, her bare shoulders, and her armpits.

A young marketing executive with the Wilkinson Sword Company, who also made razor blades for men, designed a campaign to convince the women of North America that:

(a) Underarm hair was unhygienic (b) It was unfeminine. In two years, the sales of razor blades doubled as our grandmothers and great grandmothers made themselves conform to this socially constructed gender stereotype. This norm for North American women has been reinforced by several generations of daughters who role-modeled their mothers.

When I was her age, I didn't want to either.

For me, it was a resistance to growing up and a resistance to cooperating with my mom (who wanted me to be a girlie-girl). For the same reasons, I didn't want to wear hose, carry a purse, wear a bra, get pierced ears, wear nail polish, etc. (Dresses weren't optional at my Christian school; otherwise, I would have fought that too.) For me, none of it meant anything about my femininity. I was just resisting my mom (and going through a Peter Pan phase).

I wouldn't pressure her (not that it sounds like you are!) Just make the information and the materials available, and let her find the right time and the right look for herself.

I have a 13 y.o. and a 12 y.o.

The older one has been very feminine, a lot like me actually, since she was a very small child. She's already well into the secrets of female hygiene and beauty and honestly, as long as it's not excessive or risks hurting her health (e.g. everyday make-up at that age wouldn't be a good idea at all, and weekly treatments in a beauty center would certainly be something excessive for a young teen), and as long as it's not problematic for our standards of modesty in dress and overall appearance, I have no problems with that. On the contrary, I'm pretty glad I'm raising a beautiful young woman who wants to look good and feel good and who is well aware of how your appearance contributes to your "aura", to the way people perceive, to potential success. This is NOT to say that I don't teach her that the dominant point of her being has to be something in the inside, that beauty and youth is something temporary, that nobody is going to have the kind of "positive aura" without being a good person - but I'm not denying a simple fact of life that being beautiful and knowing how to make yourself beautiful, within the standards of modesty, can certainly contribute to the quality of your life, self-esteem and that, after all, looks DO matter to some extent.

That being said, I practically had no issues with her whatsoever when it came to hair. She was naturally inclined to start waxing her armpits (too sensitive area to wax it), and to start removing hair legs, usually by sugaring done by a cosmetician (I didn't, and don't, encourage shaving - on the long run it makes things worse, and it's worth the little pain to have a LOT less issues with hair in general).

The younger one, though, was a tougher issue. Not that I'd ever force a tween to start thinking of herself in terms of womanhood and outside beauty, and she's always been less "girly", but for some things, the social norms are norms. She has a lot lighter hair than her sister, but a lot lighter skin as well. None of that is an issue if she doesn't want to wear dresses or attend beaches or if she never sleeps outside of home - but she does all of that and at some point, social pressure gets into kids. As she grew older and started to ask me more often if it's okay that she doesn't sugar like her sister, more and more I'd say that I don't know. That it's a her decision, her body, but that maybe she should consider doing it. That it's sometimes useless to go against the norms in a society. That if she feels at unease with other girls having all smooth legs, she should see if she'd feel better adopting their standars. She started shaving armpits rather young, but removing hair from legs 'only' when she was about 11. She doesn't do it totally regularly though, but she will now for summer.

Yes, I'm a bad mother and a conformist who doesn't want her daughters to be seen as socially inappropriate if they're wearing clothes which reveals their legs or armpits (not that I allow the latter unless it's on a beach though) in a restaurant, opera, beach, any kind of social gathering. If they were stuck at home all days of the year, I honestly wouldn't care. But I know that people around them might notice and it might make them feel uncomfortable. It's also a cultural issue to some extent.

In any case, I'm a coward, I know that had they both not decided it on their own, in some of the following years I'd start with ambiguous conversations and "encouraging" them to start submitting themselves to some of the nasty feminine rites such as dealing with your eyebrows, armpits, legs, etc. I'd love to think I wouldn't bring it up and that it wouldn't bother me at all, but I guess I know myself too well to claim that. Like I said, a coward and a conformist and probably a bad mother in this aspect. :(

I don't shave my legs -- I haven't since before my first child was born. It seemed like such a waste of time and effort and discomfort! I've gotten only one or two comments about it in all the years since then, and they were hardly more than and acknowledgement of my "quirkiness" and individuality.

I do shave my armpits, though, because I tend to have more BO with hairy armpits.

I won't ever push my daughter to shave unless she wants to.

Well, given that the US was newborn babe at the time, I hardly blame American adverts for thinking up clean-shaven women. lol . Lots of people shaved, maybe not Native Americans, or Westward, Ho! women, but women have been shaving for thousands of years elsewhere in the world.And for hygenic reasons-- smell, lice etc. Shaven bodies are not new.

I do get US that advertisers saw yet another money-making opportunity and seized it.

I should have been more specific. I meant when American women started shaving as a matter of "hygeine".

I found the information here:

http://www.quikshave.com/timeline.htm

Why Women Shave Their Legs and Underarms -

We all know the power of advertising. At the turn of the century, for example, the South African Diamond company, DeBeers, created the image that the diamond was forever and therefore would make an excellent wedding ring.

Another marketing campaign around this time convinced the women of North America to shave their body hair. Notably, women in the other parts of the world do not engage on masse in this ritual. Even in French Canada, the habit is not largely undertaken.

It all began with the May, 1915 edition of Harper's Bazaar magazine that featured a model sporting the latest fashion. She wore a sleeveless evening gown that exposed, for the first time in fashion, her bare shoulders, and her armpits.

A young marketing executive with the Wilkinson Sword Company, who also made razor blades for men, designed a campaign to convince the women of North America that:

(a) Underarm hair was unhygienic (b) It was unfeminine. In two years, the sales of razor blades doubled as our grandmothers and great grandmothers made themselves conform to this socially constructed gender stereotype. This norm for North American women has been reinforced by several generations of daughters who role-modeled their mothers.

Edited by LibraryLover

Dd14 doesn't shave. We've never talked about it.

Dh is French and his mother never shaved. It's normal to him. French women shave now, but I'm not sure when that started en masse (sometime after his mother was young, I guess).

I *made* my daughters shave under their arms when they were old enough to have something to shave. It was either that or give up tank tops/bathing suits! They tell me that I am the one with the issue and I agree!

Their legs/etc are not an issue for me and they choose not to shave. Then again, their hair there is very fair and I doubt anyone notices.