Menu

Heather,

I love Dolciani's Algebra: Structure & Method Book 1. As I see it:

Pros:

--lessons are short and easy to read

--examples are clear

--problem sets grouped into A (straight forward), B (challenging), and C (really challenging) problems.

--TM has day by day schedules for 3 levels: basic, average, and advanced

--exams & answers are in the TM

--level B & C problems are complex and require critical thinking

Cons:

--No DVD lessons available

--TM has only answers, not worked out solutions (there might be a solution book available with detailed solutions, but I don't have it).

I used Saxon with my oldest for many years, until he begged to switch and we tried Chalkdust PreCalc and loved it. I would never use Saxon again.

Younger son used Singapore Primary in elementary, then used Saxon 87 for prealgebra (since I had the books), then has used Dolciani Algebra followed by Brown Geometry. The year he spent in Saxon 87 he hated and was a complete waste. After Singapore, he was very bored by the repetition of the problems in Saxon and the lack of truly deep thinking required. The Dolciani series is the best we've used by far, and it "feels" a lot like Singapore Math in the way the problems are structured.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use Singapore PM through level 6, then if the child was youngish, I'd go to Dolciani PreAlgebra followed by Algebra 1. If the child was older and/or I though him ready, he'd go directly to Dolciani Algebra 1 from Singapore PM.

Brenda

I completely agree with Brenda's pros. My oldest son is almost done with Dolciani's Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 (copyright 1965). My son just told me to tell you that it's his favorite textbook ever. I'm amazed at how well grounded he is in the concepts that were taught. I also use the Algebra I DVD set from The Teaching Company as a supplement, but I really don't think it is necessary.

Brenda--there is a solution manual, but it was difficult to find. The key has no ISBN (like all of the other books), but it does have a number on the back cover: 2-14028. I don't know if that will help at all though.

Take care,

~Beth

I completely agree with Brenda's pros. My oldest son is almost done with Dolciani's Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 (copyright 1965). My son just told me to tell you that it's his favorite textbook ever. I'm amazed at how well grounded he is in the concepts that were taught. I also use the Algebra I DVD set from The Teaching Company as a supplement, but I really don't think it is necessary.

Brenda--there is a solution manual, but it was difficult to find. The key has no ISBN (like all of the other books), but it does have a number on the back cover: 2-14028. I don't know if that will help at all though.

Take care,

~Beth

You know that is where I get confused. I have a 1975 version of what I think is the student text. The copyright page actually has the ISBN of both the student text and teacher's text. When I put the teacher's text in the search on Amazon it comes up with THE book I have (there is a picture, though it could be wrong), and the ISBN for the student text comes up with no picture.

It is enough to drive me nuts trying just to find the TM, though I would like to have an answer key too. Even if my dd never uses it I would like to go through this one myself.

Heather

More than likely, the Marketplace seller on Amazon.com has the wrong picture associated with the ISBN.

In the 1960's series, a teacher's edition will have the words 'TEACHER'S EDITION' on the spine and there will be two different colored pages in the book. The front section is the teacher's manual & assignment guide on green paper (about 10% of the book). The middle section is the student pages with teacher's notes and oral exercise answers on white paper. The very back section is the answer key with both even and odd answers on white paper.

HTH!

My son is using a later edition (I think it's about 1998-99). I got books for him and a couple of others per a tutor who is working through the problems with them. I could not find a TM for this edition, either, but she's an engineer, fortunately, LOL, so doesn't require it.

I also think that it's very like Singapore in feel. The word problems are wonderful! I agree about the leveling of the problems, as well. (My audit manager husband even has some difficulties with some of the higher level problems, LOL!) The *think factor* in these books is terrific!