Menu

I hate my oven/stove!

For 6 1/2 years I lived where we had a gas stove/oven. Then mid-December we moved and now we have this stupid electric oven/stove. I don't know if all electric oven/stoves are like this, but this one is a pain in the neck. The oven you have to set much lower than what you would normally or it burns things ... that's putting it mildly ... it is more like incinerates stuff. The top of the stove though has to be set at least at medium-high or it hardly even gets warm. It is such a pain!

Rant over. :leaving:

I had a gas stove once......ah, those were the days!!! We've been here 7 years with a glass stop piece of cr*p. Who would ever buy one of these??? They don't boil water. The burner constantly cycles on and off (too keep from breaking the glass---which broke on the one burner I NEVER use). When it does finally get hot, it takes forever to cool down. I burn stuff, I'm constantly cleaning boil overs (which run down the fron because there is no "catch"). URGG. I have melted more plastic containers than I care to recall because you can't tell when they are hot, (yes I know about the little light panel that shows when the burner is hot--explain that to SH (Not short for smart hubby). My dream is a new (or used ) gas stove, the gas runs just 10 ftt from the stove, not hard to convert. Alas...books, shoes, groceries.

Lara

I hate mine, too! Actually, I have a separate stovetop and a built-in oven with the oven being something like 17inches by 19 inches. Think EasyBake oven size. sigh and sometimes my burners won't come on unless you jiggle them. That's after I've been waiting for something like 20 minutes for the water to boil in a pan and then I realize - hey!? the burner isn't even ON. :mad:

I lived in a house with one of those ceramic stovetops - it took forever for it to cool down!

Luanne, a friend of mine had the same problem with her stove. She put up with it for years because she couldn't afford to buy a new stove.

A couple of months ago, she called a stove repairman and now her stove works perfectly. She thought repairing it would be too expensive, and she was surprised that it didn't cost much.

Of course, "much" is in the eye of the beholder. I don't remember how much she paid, but it was under $100. I think she asked around and found someone who would do the work on the side.

I am happily awaiting the day that my range dies. I had a gas stove in my first house and then we moved 3 years ago and got a glass top. I HATE IT!!! I tried canning with it and can't get the water to boil unless I use a pressure cooker with the lid sealed shut. I have to take something off the burner when it boils over and wait for the burner to cool down. Gas is so much easier and faster. I would even prefer a coil electric range over a glass top. Sure, glass is easier for cleaning but it stinks for actual cooking.:glare:

Quite a few people in the town across from us have their kitchens set up to use gas bottles. The large gas bottles are on the outside of the house, so they must just stick a pipe through the wall. When mains gas eventually come, those people will get rid of the bottles and connect the pipe up to the mains. Maybe that would be a cheaper option for some of you?

Rosie

Quite a few people in the town across from us have their kitchens set up to use gas bottles. The large gas bottles are on the outside of the house, so they must just stick a pipe through the wall. When mains gas eventually come, those people will get rid of the bottles and connect the pipe up to the mains. Maybe that would be a cheaper option for some of you?

Rosie

We have a 100 gallon propane tank which supplies power to our stove and 2 fireplaces.