Next year, I plan on doing...

Pre-Calc (Honors)

English III (ACE)

American Histroy II

Chemistry

New or Old Testament Survey- I can't decide yet

Italian III

British Literature (AOP)

How should I split these up so I don't have to do all in one day? Almost all of them include 10-12 units so how could I split those up so I can finish in a school year? I plan on doing 220 days a year. I am just not sure how to set up the schedule because I don't want to do three subjects everyday and then realize that I won't have time to finish the rest of the subjects in time. I just don't want to screw up. How did you schedule classes like this and how long each day/week?

Hi Tigersgrowl,

Here's how I typically schedule.

*First, figure out how many school days you have. You said 220 which is a gracious plenty. Make sure you take into account vacation days, holidays and leave room for sick days and other unexpected events (relative visits, etc.).

*Start with the end in mind: when do you want to be finished? Count back and find your start date.

*Look at each text or course. Some will already be divided into daily lessons. My dc, for example, do one lesson per day so it's easy to divide into the 220 days. Other texts are simply arranged by chapters. Figure out how many days are needed to get through the chapter, to review and test on the chapter and divide into your 220 days.

*I'm not familiar with ACE or AOP, but if the texts/courses have a teacher's manual, it may have some helpful information on lesson planning.

*You can always create a spreadsheet or syllabus to help you track your progress. Even a simple grid showing which chapter you need to have finished by a certain date might be helpful.

You should have plenty of time to finish the courses in 220. If this is your first year to homeschool, you will likely find an efficiency in your schoolwork that you didn't have in a brick and mortar school. Best wishes on your (ad)venture!

Lisa