Menu

NOEO, RS4K, or Sonlight Science?

3boysmama

Can someone compare them for me?

Are any of them easy enough to use mulitiple levels with?

Or which ones are the best to combine more then 1 child with? My kids will be 7th, 5th, & 2nd.

Would any 2 programs be good to use together? Or best left on their own?

We have been lacking in the science dept. We've had some, but not as much as I would like and I really want to do better this year. I really need to get on the ball with it since my oldest will be 7th. I was thinking about Apologia general science for him but it seems a little boring.

So I'm starting my research now. I don't believe I will be able to make it to a convention this year, either. :( So any and all info you can give me would be great.

Thanks!! ;)

I've used two levels of RS4K together, and it's beautiful. They chapters line up, the experiments line up, it really couldn't be easier. The higher level just has more "work" to do, has more involved experiments, etc. I did level 1 and pre level 1 with 6th & 2nd grades this year... I think level 1 is supposed to go up to 5th but I didn't want to put dd in level 2 not having had any chemistry before. It was fine, not too easy, and she enjoyed it (we did chem & bio this year).

Your kids might be able to handle levels 1 & 2 (mine wouldn't have liked it)... and pre-level 1 & 1 would be a gentler introduction - and probably a good warm-up for apologia.

I've used two levels of RS4K together, and it's beautiful. They chapters line up, the experiments line up, it really couldn't be easier. The higher level just has more "work" to do, has more involved experiments, etc. I did level 1 and pre level 1 with 6th & 2nd grades this year... I think level 1 is supposed to go up to 5th but I didn't want to put dd in level 2 not having had any chemistry before. It was fine, not too easy, and she enjoyed it (we did chem & bio this year).

Your kids might be able to handle levels 1 & 2 (mine wouldn't have liked it)... and pre-level 1 & 1 would be a gentler introduction - and probably a good warm-up for apologia.

Thank you! :D

We used RS4K Chemistry pre-level and level 1 this year. It worked out great for us. I am considering using the Physics for next year. (Next year, I will have an 7th,5th,4th & 1st)

There are only 10 chapters and I just rotated Chemistry and our Nature Study. It did not feel overwhelming and the kids have enjoyed it.

We used RS4K Chemistry pre-level and level 1 this year. It worked out great for us. I am considering using the Physics for next year. (Next year, I will have an 7th,5th,4th & 1st)

There are only 10 chapters and I just rotated Chemistry and our Nature Study. It did not feel overwhelming and the kids have enjoyed it.

Thank you! I did notice on their website that they will be adding in a geology/astronomy level this fall.

NOEO is basically a CM, living books approach to science. They have fantastic book selections but a a little weak on the experiments side of things. Also, there's not really a spine with the program (atleast in the 2 levels I used) so you are going from one book to the next, reading and doing narrations.

RS4K is more of a text/spine approach, which I think you could easily branch off from and expand to use the NOEO books alongside with it, making them both a full year program.

I think they would work very nicely together although I've not done it myself. :o

I have no clue about SL science as I just started a thread about it last night.