Menu

Apologia General or Phys. for high school?

My dd will be a "young" 9th grader...starting at age 13 and will not be 14 until the end of Nov. She is not a very "sciency" type kid. I know the typical high school science progressions starts with Bio in 9th and we could use Apologia Bio w/ no problem...she is very smart and could handle it. She just did a full year of Chem. in ps this year for 8th gr. If I followed the Bio, Chem, Physics schedule...she would be doing Chem again in 10th and she does.not.like.Chem. Could I start her with Apol. Gen. or Phys. for 9th and then move into Bio in 10th, Chem in 11th (or even skip Chem. and move directly to Phys.)? Our state only requires 2 years of a science for homeschoolers and doesn't specify what kind. If she were to continue on to our local public high school, she would be doing Earth Systems Science...they don't start with Bio there. Any thoughts here? Thanks. FWIW...I don't think she is going on to pursue a science-type field in college or beyond. As of right now, she wants to be a teacher.

1st off I'd look at how many science credits the state U requires. For FL, it's 3 (and 4 maths Alg. I & higher starting w/the Class of 2011) so that means more that what you need to graduate hs.

It's not unusual for hs's to offer Physical Science in 9th. The Apologia has labs so it easily qualifies for hs (even though they put it at 8th on their web-site.)

My teen had little interest in Biology. Her high school science progression was:

9th: Physical Science

10th: Chemistry

11th: Geology

12th: Environmental Science

She was accepted into eight colleges. We did check their requirements before hand and none of them explicitly required Biology. She intends to major in the Classics/Latin rather than math or science.

Regards,

Kareni