Menu

New here.. how did you decide to homeschool?

Ellyndria

Hello all! I've been lurking on these boards for a couple weeks now, and I've learned a lot. There seems to be so many interesting curriculums out there, and the idea of using these and teaching DS so many things seems very appealing. (Although I don't know how I'd ever decide what curriculum to use!)

I have doubts, of course.

First of all, I'd never considered homeschooling until DS turned 3 about a month ago. The plan has always been public school, and DH wants DS to go to preschool at age 4 for a year before kindergarten. I always figured I'd just do preschool here at home, and I am doing so for this year, but went along with the idea of preschool for a year just to get him used to a school setting and being away from me for a few half days... especially since so many kindergartens seem to be full days now. :( Private school has always not been an option for us.

Aside from people online, I've never known anyone who homeschools. I guess my previous thoughts on homeschooling were always just, "Why?" but after doing a lot of reading this past month, I now know many whys.

Anyway, the only reason I really started reading up on homeschooling, is because when DS turned 3, I started browsing some homeschooling sites just to get ideas of what I could do for preschool at home. I was also browsing Amazon for preschool workbooks and came across a bunch of homeschooling books. So I've been busy reading.

Now on to my doubts:

I actually have no doubt in my ability to teach DS...I always did well in school myself, I "get" math and science (biology was my major), and even if I've forgotten a lot of things, it would be fairly easy to relearn. My doubt about myself comes in the form of motivation. I get on "kicks"...whether it's about cooking, cleaning, nail polish, online games, needlework, makeup, or childcare, (really, anything!) where I'm very absorbed with reading about or doing said activity for a couple months to a couple years... and then I get on a different kick. Homeschooling is a very big commitment, I couldn't afford to lose interest or get absorbed with something else...how would I stay motivated? Has anyone dealt with this?

The other major concern I have is... socialization. Now, I realize that this is not an issue for a lot of homeschoolers, that it's not all about being in a large group of same-age peers and such. I am an introvert myself, though. I don't go out and socialize much, nor do I feel the need to. I'm happy with just a few friends, and most of those I keep in touch with online because we move around a lot, so I really don't go out and do anything with anyone. We also have no family nearby. So my DS's exposure to other kids and other people is very little and that's my fault. He's kinda afraid of other kids :( even though he seems interested in them. He reminds me of me when I was little. I also didn't have a lot of kids to play with. I could say I turned out fine, but did I really? I am ok in social situations, I just don't seek them out much. I'd rather be doing other things...I have way too many interests. I also liked going to school myself for the social aspect of it. That's how I met and made friends when I was younger. So I don't really know how I would provide DS with the opportunity to make friends beyond sending him to school.

DS is also an only child...for now. I don't know whether we'll end up having another or not.

I know there are homeschool groups, but I looked into the one where we live now, and it doesn't seem like they do a whole lot. I have no idea where we will be moving to next, so I don't know how any future groups would be either. DH wants DS to start attending a martial arts class in a couple years, but it doesn't seem like that would be a big enough opportunity.. we're also not really big into participation in group sports so we're not gonna push him to do any unless he shows an interest.

The third thing I worry about is my "me" time. I know it is selfish, but I need quite a lot of "me" time everyday to recharge. I obviously don't have a lot of it with a 3 year old around.. I mostly accomplish this by staying up late after he goes to bed, so my sleep suffers. I've sorta been looking forward to the break I'd get when he went to school :( just because I'd have more time again to pursue my own interests.

As far as DH's thoughts on it all... a couple times over the past year DH made the comment, "I wish we could homeschool him, those kids are so smart." So he is not completely against it, but DH worries about the social part too and wants him to go to school so he can make friends. He also knows about my motivation issues and my great need of time for myself.

So if anyone has made it past the wall of text, thanks for reading. How did any of you deal with these kinds of thoughts?

Aside from people online, I've never known anyone who homeschools. I guess my previous thoughts on homeschooling were always just, "Why?" but after doing a lot of reading this past month, I now know many whys.

It's good that you know what your concerns are before making a full, wholehearted commitment to homeschooling. I think you have very valid concerns. Those are things that many of us think about. The "why?" is what makes it worth the investment. For me, the "why" is that I want to be with my children, to know them, and to influence them in all things. I have very particular desires for my children and my husband and I are the only ones that can make that happen for them. We very much believe that the family suffers when any member of the family is not home-centered. We want our home to be a place of respite, a place of learning, and a place of worship. We are trying to actively cultivate that in our children's hearts. And, whatever thing you may want to cultivate in your children's hearts can only be fruitful if you are there to influence them and to oversee the process. I first heard about homeschooling before my children were conceived, and I knew that was what I wanted to do. Whatever it took, that became my standard.

The thing is, we don't have to have it all figured out. We just have to take it one day at a time and enjoy our families!

Many blessings to you,

Donna T.

My doubt about myself comes in the form of motivation. I get on "kicks"...whether it's about cooking, cleaning, nail polish, online games, needlework, makeup, or childcare, (really, anything!) where I'm very absorbed with reading about or doing said activity for a couple months to a couple years... and then I get on a different kick. Homeschooling is a very big commitment, I couldn't afford to lose interest or get absorbed with something else...how would I stay motivated? Has anyone dealt with this?

This is totally me! I jump from one passion to the next, but I have also been homeschooling for eight official years. My passion for homeschooling has remained steadfast. Though I have had seasons of minor burn-out, I have adapted my curriculum or studies to keep me on fire. I look forward each year to the tweaks and changes that will motivate us all and make for another good year. I also have found that I make my schedule in such a way to provide me some "creative me time". For instance, we start school a few weeks early so I can do a 6 weeks on, one week off schedule. On my weeks off, I recharge by painting, scrapbooking, spring cleaning, or whatever I want to do. It's nice because I know that another break will be coming soon.

But to answer some more of your questions, I was just like you in that I started wondering about homeschooling when my oldest was 3. I read a book called Should I Homeschool? and it eased my fears and answered some questions I had about it. At that time, I knew very few homeschoolers but over the years, I've met lots! Anyway, we couldn't afford private school and I had taught in the "best" public school in town. So the desire to give my child a better education in a Godly environment ultimately overruled any fears I had.

You are lucky in that you are starting to think of this now. It makes things so easy to start when they are young. Each of my children learned to read at age four and all have a passion for books and reading. They love being homeschooled and it's a way of life for them. They have been told so many times by other kids how lucky they are to be homescooled and I think they feel that!

I love homeschooling too. Even though I love to get lost in my artwork or other craft, homeschooling works for our family. There is always something new to learn. I've never wanted it any other way and I'm never bored.

I'm not one to do a ton outside of our home. But I do love participating in our homeschool group's park days or the occasional field trip. I also invite other kids to come over to play every now and then. My kids have all met really good friends through that and their piano lessons. I have never worried about the lack of socialization. I think they are plenty socialized. Right now, they are outside playing with a neighborhood kid (who has come over every day after school this week:blink:). I still worry about what over kids expose them to, but I know that I am here for them every day to address any issues that arise. Hopefully my children will be better equipped to deal with all kids of people and situations because they have had guidance from their parents on a daily basis.

The biggest advice I have for you is to make sure your husband is on board. Even if he allows you an "experimental year", he needs to be supportive. I think kids really pick up on any division between a mom and a dad and can really challenge the teaching parent. My kids know that dad will not tolerate a lazy or bad attitude towards their studies or towards me. They have two strong parents who want them to succeed and I believe that sure makes things a lot easier around here. They get up and get to work. They are motivated to learn and they also like to get their studies done so they have more free time. It makes things easier for us all because we are all working together.

I hope this helps in some way and that I addressed some of your questions. Good luck in your decision. Homeschooling certainly isn't for everyone, but it can be a beautiful thing.

Just a few thoughts:

-I'm a former teacher and liked the idea of home schooling long before I had kids. I like learning and teaching and I appreciate having the opportunity to give my kids the kind of education I would have wanted. Like you, I have plenty of self-confidence that I can teach whatever we want to learn.

-The longer I home school, the more I appreciate the lifestyle. We all learn together. My kids have the gift of time. They do not give up 7 hours a day to a school and then another 2 hours for home work. They are less stressed than their peers and have time to pursue play, reading, and other interests.

-I do not worry about socialization. We do not do activities with a home school group but my kids see other kids at church/Sunday school, gymnastics, softball, and brownies. It's enough. I'm reading an interesting book from the library that was recommended here called Hold On to Your Kids. Kids are really better off being attached to a parent rather than being attached to peers. I know that many kids go to school with no negative side effects, but being around peers so much can cause real harm if your child starts to prefer the peer influence to your own. Just another aspect to consider.

-I'm not going to pretend that there is a lot of "me" time, but it is possible to have several people in your household pursuing their own interests at the same time (I know it's hard to believe with a 3 year old!). My 7 yo loves reading on her own. My 5 yo can't read yet but can draw pictures for hours. Meanwhile I can read the occasional library book or log on here or maybe even get the laundry done once in awhile.

-I want to spend these years with my children. 18 years isn't all that long in a life time, and at 18 they are off to college. If I put them in school, I think when they turn 18 I will want that time back. I don't think I will ever regret home schooling and say "I wish I had put them in school."

How I decided to homeschool (after having been in a church as a teen in the 80s where everyone except my family homeschooled, and saying I'd never homeschool my own kids!) - When ds was born 10 years ago, my mother, a public school teacher, was visiting me and chatting with one of my friends (who homeschooled) about how to teach reading. My Mom was encouraging my friend about her homeschooling, and as I sat there with my new baby I thought, "My Mom is making homeschooling sound like fun!" Off I went for the next few years to read everything I could find about homeschooling. We decided pretty quickly that we would teach our kids at home. That decision was 10 years ago, and we've never regretted it.

I'd suggest you read The Well Trained Mind - the book on which this website is based. I read lots of different books on methods and resources, but when I read WTM the 2nd time (I got overwhelmed with it on the 1st reading, LOL), I realized it set a pattern of learning (plus recommended resources) for 12 years, so that I wouldn't have to make things up as I went along. So there's a pattern all laid out to be used, but lots of flexibility in it.

Then come to these boards and get totally addicted to reading, LOL!

Seriously, there is LOTS of great advice to be found here. I have found so much help over the past 5 or so years.

Homeschooling is definitely a lifestyle commitment that I never dreamed I'd be doing, but it's worth it, and you DO manage to find time for yourself in the midst of it. And it's fun! :)

hth

I was homeschooled from 3rd through 12th and then went on to college. I loved being homeschooled and I am homeschooling my prek right now and I teach homeschool math to highschoolers. I don't feel that it hurt me socially at all. I had a group of friends that homeschooled and I am still in touch with them. We all did well in college and I even had a professor one time tell me that she preferred having former homeschooled students in her class because we were more respectful and did better work. So I think that says a lot. None of my friends have social problems and they seem to have adjusted to adult life nicely. Most of them are married and have kids now and are planning on homeschooling too. So I think that says a lot. It is nice having been homeschooled because I don't have the worries that other mothers do about whether or not I'm capable of homeschooling. My mother didn't have a degree and she did a great job with my sister and me and is now homeschooling my 7 adopted siblings and is doing a great job with them.

I am in only my first year of HSing, so I am by no means a well of great advice, but I can really relate to your post.

DH wants DS to go to preschool at age 4 for a year before kindergarten. I always figured I'd just do preschool here at home, and I am doing so for this year, but went along with the idea of preschool for a year just to get him used to a school setting and being away from me for a few half days

My dd went to full-day PreK last year b/c I was not planning on HSing. I cried every night for about the first two weeks b/c of the "socialization" my daughter was receiving. The other girls in the class were already (at age 4!) forming cliques and deciding who could and couldn't play with them. My dd was not sure what to do with all of the feelings she was experiencing. Over Christmas break I checked out a couple of HSing books from the library and spent the spring semester researching every aspect of HSing I could find. By March I realized that in order to create the kind of family life that my dh and I wanted, HSing was the way to go. And now, I wish I had that year back. There were so many things that dd picked up while in that impressionable age of 4-5, but alas...*sigh*

I get on "kicks"...whether it's about cooking, cleaning, nail polish, online games, needlework, makeup, or childcare, (really, anything!) where I'm very absorbed with reading about or doing said activity for a couple months to a couple years... and then I get on a different kick. Homeschooling is a very big commitment, I couldn't afford to lose interest or get absorbed with something else...how would I stay motivated? Has anyone dealt with this?

YES! I still go through "kicks": knitting, scrapbooking, cooking, researching a certain subject, etc. Now, I just use my "kicks" to tweak my curriculum each year, like Jen said. LOL! Once I made the decision to HS, there was no turning back. I see the benefits of my dd being home with me and her siblings and I cannot imagine sending her back to PS.

I am an introvert myself, though. I don't go out and socialize much, nor do I feel the need to. I'm happy with just a few friends, and most of those I keep in touch with online because we move around a lot, so I really don't go out and do anything with anyone. We also have no family nearby...I am ok in social situations, I just don't seek them out much. I'd rather be doing other things...I have way too many interests.

This is so me. I, too, would much rather stick around the house and pursue interests here. But we do go out for girl scouts, dance, and church activities. I don't think young children at this age NEED much outside socialization. Martial arts would be a great weekly activity for socialization. And if you move around a lot, HSing is perfect! You provide the stability of schooling at home no matter where you are, whereas if your son were in a PS, he would be having to change schools often, which can be very difficult for a child.

I know there are homeschool groups, but I looked into the one where we live now, and it doesn't seem like they do a whole lot. I have no idea where we will be moving to next, so I don't know how any future groups would be either.

Once you get into HSing, it's amazing the people you will meet that you can get together with. And since you like being at home, online forums (like this one!) and groups (there are a ton on yahoo) are perfect for discussing and adult "socializing." :)

The third thing I worry about is my "me" time. I know it is selfish, but I need quite a lot of "me" time everyday to recharge.

I had this concern too. What I have done is take 30 minutes every morning (if I don't get up early enough) and put the kids in front of the TV (gasp!) so that I can have my quiet/prayer time. That gets me prepared to meet the morning. Then, we have a two hour rest/quiet time in the afternoon. My 1yo takes her nap, and my other two play quietly (or nap) in their rooms. Then my husband takes bathtime duty while I take some more "me" time. It's been enough--and after a year of this routine, I actually require less "me" time and desire more time with the whole family.

HSing has actually helped to foster an even closer family life, where each of us takes less for ourselves and gives more to each other. I love that!

Sorry for the long reply, but your post sounds so similar to where I was a year and a half ago. Bless you as you make your decision...

You know this seems to be biggest argument against homeschooling for almost everyone. We have entered this journey about 4 years ago. That's when my oldest should have started K. Both my dss never went to school.

I am not going to pretend we did not worry about socialization. We are, however, seeing that this is a non-issue. For us anyway. Our boys don't really need other kids as much as they need challenging activities. They need time to create, build, play, run and learn skills. The skills are not only writing and math but also new physical skills. We spend a lot of time hiking, climbing, skating, biking, etc. This is what our dss seem to need the most. Homeschooling allows them the time to do all of those things and more. We do many of these activities by ourselves but we do just as many with friends.

Our dss do not have 30 kids whom they know instead they have 3 or 4 good friends whom they see very regularly.

I did join a homeschool group when my older ds was 4. The group did not do that much either at the time. We went once a week to play at the park. I joined, at time, mostly because I needed to see that homeschoolers were "normal' people. Whatever that means. :D We have evolved with this group and as the kids got older we started to do more things with people from the group.

Whenever I do walk into a school yard I am relieved to see that my kids miss nothing there - not even recess. We have a lot more fun and time for socialization than they would ever have in school. In short. It is a non-issue. In fact they have a much better life without school socialization.

Susie

I agree with Colleen that you should read WTM, if you haven't already. I read this when my oldest was 3 and it cinched it for me. WTM gives you a blueprint of what to teach, when to teach it and why to teach it. It held my hand through the beginning years our homeschooling. It gave me the confidence to go on my own as far as curriculum choices, etc.

As far as the socialization thing goes, my children are very outgoing. They talk when talked to, they even start conversations with other people. They are good communicators. The problem is that they don't have many friends, not because they are social geeks (a term my mil uses) but because we live out in the country and I can't always cart them around to their friends' houses. We don't have any children around our neighbourhood nor does our church have many children. So the friend thing is a problem but I don't think it has to do with homeschooling. I think it has more to do with living out in the country.

I had doubts when I first started. Oh goodness, I still have doubts. But the belief that I am doing the right thing is stronger than the doubts.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

My doubt about myself comes in the form of motivation. I get on "kicks"...whether it's about cooking, cleaning, nail polish, online games, needlework, makeup, or childcare, (really, anything!) where I'm very absorbed with reading about or doing said activity for a couple months to a couple years... and then I get on a different kick. Homeschooling is a very big commitment, I couldn't afford to lose interest or get absorbed with something else...how would I stay motivated? Has anyone dealt with this?

This describes me exactly. I think it is healthy to have evolving interests. My latest have been, Ancient Greek history, knitting, natural childbirth and VBAC's, and lately, American gov't. This is our 4th year homeschooling and I find that it isn't just a "kick", it becomes a lifestyle, an extension of parenting.

The other major concern I have is... socialization.
So my DS's exposure to other kids and other people is very little and that's my fault. He's kinda afraid of other kids :( even though he seems interested in them.

I would not worry too much about this at his age. He can get plenty of exposure to other children and people in general just being out and about with you in the "real" world. There are lots of kids his age at local parks, children's museums, zoos, etc.

I know there are homeschool groups, but I looked into the one where we live now, and it doesn't seem like they do a whole lot. I have no idea where we will be moving to next, so I don't know how any future groups would be either. DH wants DS to start attending a martial arts class in a couple years, but it doesn't seem like that would be a big enough opportunity.. we're also not really big into participation in group sports so we're not gonna push him to do any unless he shows an interest.

My oldest takes Taekwondo. He is not into team sports at all. He has made a number of friends in his TKD class. We were in a homeschool group when we started out, but eventually drifted away. Most of ds' friends are cousins but he has also made friends in his neighborhood. I have also found that while having a few friends is important, it is hardly the be-all end-all of childhood that it is made out to be. I find the family bonds we are establishing to be far more important.

The third thing I worry about is my "me" time. I know it is selfish, but I need quite a lot of "me" time everyday to recharge. I obviously don't have a lot of it with a 3 year old around.. I mostly accomplish this by staying up late after he goes to bed, so my sleep suffers. I've sorta been looking forward to the break I'd get when he went to school :( just because I'd have more time again to pursue my own interests.

I take time to myself during early mornings, either before everyone is up, or thanks in part to Sesame Street.:o

Also, nap time is Mom time. In the Well Trained Mind book, I believe that it is suggested to maintain a quiet time even after your child has outgrown naps.

Plus, it changes as they get older. My toddler is all over me 24/7, while my 9yr old would happily spend his day outside or in his room.

As far as DH's thoughts on it all... a couple times over the past year DH made the comment, "I wish we could homeschool him, those kids are so smart." So he is not completely against it, but DH worries about the social part too and wants him to go to school so he can make friends. He also knows about my motivation issues and my great need of time for myself.

I can't answer to this really, homeschooling was actually my dh's idea in the first place. I was the one who was hesitant at first and I agreed to take it one year at a time.

We had K as our "trial year" and never looked back. Just keep in mind that this is a fluid situation. You can always put him in school if it is not working for your family. It doesn't have to be something you jump into with a 12 year commitment.HTH

It seems a bit rude to be trying to analyse your character when I've never met you, and have only read one of your posts, but your major concern seems to be whether you are the right sort of person. Not the right sort of person to homeschool, but the right sort of person in general. It's perfectly ok for you to be the sort of person who gets on a roll with some topic or other. As your boy grows up, he'll either tag along for the ride, or ignore you and do his own thing. I was the oldest in the family, and always inflicting my interests on everyone else :) My sister ignored me, my brother listened. No one minded because everyone was free to listen or not as they chose. Since you're here, I'll assume you are interested in classical education and/ or The Well Trained Mind. It's possible to follow their recommendations and tailor them to suit you. Some people like to buy a full science curriculum, I'm going to follow TWTM's rotation, but take an almost unschooly approach by buying on topic resources, and pulling a new one out when we've exhausted interest in the one we've been using. So, what I'm saying, is that it's quite ok to move onto another topic when your (plural) enthusiasm has run out. There are times to stick at what you are doing, and times when it doesn't matter. I like the classical method, but read unschooling info just to keep myself balanced and remember to relax. :) There are so many topics to choose from, you're probably not going to loose motivation for them all at the same time. If you do, you need a holiday, that's all! If a holiday doesn't work, you can always send him to school. Or take a longer holiday :D You can take a teaching approach, or you can take a learning together approach. You'll probably do both, at different times and on different topics. If you get stressed over it all, you just need to find a new approach.

Socialization, smoshialization! If you're an introvert, you're an introvert. If your boy is an introvert, he's an introvert. As you're aware, no amount of bullying or enthusiastic encouragement is going to change you; or your boy. The only problem is if you're an introvert and he's not, and you are cramping his style too much. He's only little, so he's got plenty of time to grow into a more social being. When I was in brownies, I used to hide in the cupboard so no one could talk to me :001_huh: No one who knows me now would ever believe it!! There will always be activities for the two of you to participate in. Structured classes will usually expect him to participate, so unstructured places like playgroup (at his current age) and the park may be better. That way he can observe until he feels comfy enough to play too. It's just as unhelpful to say everyone should be loud, bouncy and sociable as it is to say everyone should be sporty or skinny. You're there to do the best job at being who you are, not who you aren't. When he's bigger, he can play sport, go to scouts or whatever. There are activities where the whole family can go, SCA is a good one, church if that's your thing, etc. It's your job to provide social opportunities. It's his responsibility to choose when and where he's willing. Don't underestimate the pleasure he gets from observing. That is a learning experience just as much as participating is. You can lead a horse to water, and all that. The horse may not want a drink, but it'll be glad to know one is available!

We all skimp on "me" time, sadly! This will get to be less of a problem as he gets older. He'll go on play dates, he'll be able to participate in your interests, and you can always send him off to hang out with dad.

:)

Rosie- a brownie leader for enough years to have met lots of these types of kids, and see who they grew to be :)

I am an introvert myself, though. I don't go out and socialize much, nor do I feel the need to. I'm happy with just a few friends, and most of those I keep in touch with online because we move around a lot, so I really don't go out and do anything with anyone. We also have no family nearby. So my DS's exposure to other kids and other people is very little and that's my fault. He's kinda afraid of other kids :( even though he seems interested in them. He reminds me of me when I was little.

1.) (Tongue planted firmly in cheek because I used to worry about this too) How long will your "Parenting Kick" last? Answer: kids are completely different from hobbies or anything else. Your schooling experience may ebb and flow, but you'll still be there, doing something, and he'll be learning. And it'll be okay.

2.) Your son is likely wired very similarly to you and would benefit from a lower conflict setting in which to really be able to learn.

3.) Meh. You (and everyone) adjust to your own expectations. She says, as she unexpectedly solo parents/schools five, including a special needs babe. My "me time" happens when they're in bed or not at all. I get a lot less than ever before in my life. And? While this occasionally makes me buggy, there are things in life that are so much more weighty and dramatic that it rarely crosses my mind. I'm more concerned with whether or not I get to sleep more than four hours a night, you know? There have been times in my life when I would never have imagined this to be possible, but hey -- life is what it is. We can strap on our wings or our concrete blocks. Wings feel better. :D (Sorry. Off my little soapbox now.)

Welcome to you and have fun.

We knew we were going to homeschool before our kids were born. When we dated, we both hashed out the schooling preferences long before my husband popped the Question.

TO us, it was fairly simple:

We would try do the best for our children, especially in the love and nurturing department.

Sending a kid away for 7 hours a day half the year, hardly seems loving or nurturing to either of us. To us the basic principle of all child upbringing is love. Whether you are disciplining your child, hugging your child, wiping away his tears, teaching him, reading to him, or sharing chores and shopping trips with him the basic principle that underlies all of that is love.

We are also Christian, and feel that we can hopefully share our beliefs with our children more fully if they are with us to see our prayers, apologies, repentance and change. We do not believe the public schools raise Christian kids, and in fact we believe that they actually teach so much Humanism that it;s like they are teaching the religion of Humanism.

I could go on....but for us the "when" happened as soon as we met our first homeschoolers and realized that it is an effective, viable option for schooling, which was before we were even married.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I did buy the WTM book... searching for the book was what led me to this website. I haven't read it all yet, but I'm working on it.

I guess I still have a lot of thinking to do, but in the meantime I'm having fun reading up on different curriculums.