Menu

Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance curriculum...

Has anyone used this? What grade would you suggest this for? My dd13 will be a 9th grader next year and I was thinking about purchasing this for her to use. Would she get more out of it if I waited until 10th or 11th grade. MFW recommends a finance course in 11th or 12th. My kids all LOVE Dame Ramsey ever since we did his Financial Peace Univ. 2 years ago and so I though she would really enjoy this. What says the hive?

Hi,

I found out that in my state (MO), the personal finance course has to be taken either in the 10th or 11th grades. The public school in my town uses Dave Ramsay's Personal Finance course. I just thought I'd suggest checking your state's requirements.

Blessings,

Julie in MO

Wow...a school district that uses DR's curriculum! That is impressive! I'll check our requirements, but I doubt it says anything about the "when" of taking it if it even specifically mentions a pers. finance course at all. I think I'll call the district b/c I need to see what kind of credit to give her for it as well. Thanks! Anyone else? Any reviews?:)

I had my oldest dd do the program in the 2nd half of 10th grade. I think that was a pretty good time to do it. She turned 16yo while she was working in the program and was looking for a job, so the information could have been very applicable. Unfortunately, she still hasn't been able to find a job (just turned 17yo). The fast food places have plenty of adults applying for jobs, so they aren't hiring many teens.

My middle dd will probably do it in the 2nd half of 10th grade also or may do it over the summer between 10th and 11th instead.

I think it's worth 1/2 credit for Personal Finance.

Hi,

I found out that in my state (MO), the personal finance course has to be taken either in the 10th or 11th grades. The public school in my town uses Dave Ramsay's Personal Finance course. I just thought I'd suggest checking your state's requirements.

Blessings,

Julie in MO

Not that it matters to the OP, but in MO public schools the personal finance course can be taken in grades 10-12 http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/sia/Graduation_Handbook_2010.pdf. This is a graduation requirement for public school students only and has no impact on homeschool students at all.